Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Trek Equinox 9

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Trek Equinox 9

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 01:37 PM
ken6741

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Equinox 9

I bought a Trek Equinox 9 to start training for a Duathlon. I just started riding about 1 month ago. I did a 50 mile ride the other day on a flat surface called Hains Point in Washington DC, it took me 2 hours 28 minutes and 20 sec. I am just wondering if I bought the wrong bike. I am asking this because I do not see a lot of Trek Tri bikes out there. What is the reason for this? Please advise. Thanks Ken
Old 06-25-05, 06:30 PM
TheKidd
i like pie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken6741
I am asking this because I do not see a lot of Trek Tri bikes out there. What is the reason for this? Please advise. Thanks Ken
Because they're relatively new to the recent triathlon market. I think they had a few bikes here and there in past years, but the Equinox are their new lineup. I imagine in the next few years they'll become more and more popular.

Though I don't know anyone that has one, I've read some favorable reviews on them. As long as it's comfortable for you, it should work out just fine. 50 miles in 2:28 is pretty good. 20/mph.
Old 06-26-05, 12:23 AM
MHR
IM140.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Trek Equinox 9 to start training for a Duathlon. I just started riding about 1 month ago. I did a 50 mile ride the other day on a flat surface called Hains Point in Washington DC, it took me 2 hours 28 minutes and 20 sec. I am just wondering if I bought the wrong bike. I am asking this because I do not see a lot of Trek Tri bikes out there. What is the reason for this? Please advise. Thanks Ken
Unless fit is an issue I say you picked a great product. The equipment survey that is done every year at Ironman Hawaii - Trek is one of the most popular choices out there. As noted above Trek Tri-bikes especially the Equinox series are new in the last year or so.

I own the Carbon version Trek-TT (Team Timetrial same Lance uses) and just love the bike. It is wicked fast and comfortable. I have ridden many other top Tri-bikes and this bike is sweet as they come. In my last 1/2 IM I only saw 2 other Trek-TT's which makes me feel pretty good - I for one don't want to see 100's of other Trek's that look like mine. The Equinox-9 is a great affordable entry level bike, with a more aggressive seat tube angle targeted for triathletes. It is pretty competitive in the way it is set-up from Trek, and you should be proud to be riding such a nice bike. Unlike many of the roadies in my part of the woods I love the trek product. I also own a Trek Madone 5.9 (limited edition 1 of 500 made), I have it set up pretty nice and it comes in at 15.8 lbs. In 2004 Tim DeBoom choose to ride the Trek SSL at IM Hawaii choosing weight savings over "aero". It was a good choice because of the heavy winds there in 2004. You can bet that Trek products will continue to offer great bikes in the future as well. Trek spends a ton on R&D and beause of the relationship with Lance they have brought some great products to market and they stand behind their products.

Last edited by MHR; 06-26-05 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 04:13 AM
ken6741

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MHR
Thanks for your in depth review of Trek products. I really do enjoy the bike! I see you are from Golden, CO I love it out there. I won a contest sponsered by EAS and was just out in Golden I love it out there! It looks like it would be a great area to train in. Best of Luck to you Ken
Old 06-26-05, 05:45 AM
MHR
IM140.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MHR
Thanks for your in depth review of Trek products. I really do enjoy the bike! I see you are from Golden, CO I love it out there. I won a contest sponsered by EAS and was just out in Golden I love it out there! It looks like it would be a great area to train in. Best of Luck to you Ken
Very cool - what did you win? I use some of the EAS products.
Old 06-29-05, 03:37 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Equinox 7 which I loved until I found out it's a girlie bike (according to Inside Triathlon magazine that is).
Old 06-29-05, 08:17 PM
MHR
IM140.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZackJones
I have the Equinox 7 which I loved until I found out it's a girlie bike (according to Inside Triathlon magazine that is).
That don't make sence - Big bad Zack on a girly bike? I don't think so...someone at Triathlete Magazine has their head up their butt.
Old 06-30-05, 06:49 AM
audiojan
Roadie/Duathlete

Bikes: Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they now what they're talking about... The E7 is not a WS model.... Trek is smarter than that... They would've called it WS to fit their line... Marketing, people, marketing...
Old 06-30-05, 06:32 PM
ken6741

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won the Body For LIFE Challenge. They gave me $25,000 and a bunch of other great items. I signed an endorsement contract with them, that encourages me to train hard and try new things.
Old 07-01-05, 06:28 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MHR
That don't make sence - Big bad Zack on a girly bike? I don't think so...someone at Triathlete Magazine has their head up their butt.
Absolutely! Which reminds me I need to fire off an email to the editor about this whole situation
Old 07-02-05, 09:11 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are 2 Equinox 7's. One of them is a WSD.
Old 07-03-05, 12:03 AM
heymickey
1997 Trek 5500 OCLV

Bikes: 1997 Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cslone is right. Two models. I ride an E7, and I love it. Of course, it no longer looks much like an E7, with everything original switched out, esp with its Bontrager XXX aerobars!!!