Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle something

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gazelle something

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 09:27 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 201 Posts
Gazelle something

Here's a Gazelle with Reynolds 753 stickers, but seems to be a repaint with c. 1983 color scheme. Nearly all Gazelle 753 frames had internal cable routing on top tube and I can't seem to match the fork to anything in a Gazelle catalog or elsewhere online. It appears to be nearest an AB-frame, but with a chrome fork.

Likes For alexihnen:
Old 10-24-19, 09:36 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 314 Posts
Yours looks, from what I can see, to be a pretty close match to my 531 AA frame which has the same style front fork. Yours does not have a number tang, but that does not preclude it being an AA frame AFAIK. What type brake bridge on yours? Mine is the butterfly. Very nice.

EDIT: I had questioned in my mind the chrome 753 fork. I have read 753 could not be chromed but I had also seen some alleged 753 bikes with chroming. I was looking at a 1987 Gazelle catalog and it specifically said that 753 could not be chromed. I would not think the manufacture would make such a statement and then go and do what they said could not be done. So I wonder if that 753 fork on your bike is actually a 531 variant.

Gazelle pages.

Gazelle 001 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 10-24-19 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-24-19, 10:51 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 201 Posts
Yep - I think it's a match. It's not mine, but currently for sale on Facebook. $475 OBO

Last edited by alexihnen; 10-24-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 07:13 PM
72fuji

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The 81’ brochure has a 753 with chrome. I looked at the bike when it was for sale at a pawn shop on the west(ish) side of Detroit. The owner is a cyclist and has a few really nice bikes he brought over from Europe. He had a beautiful Basso hanging on the wall that was his ride at the time. This Gazelle was just a touch to big for me and at the time the pawn shop was asking $900. I thought it was a 78 but could have been the white and blue AB that they had. Then I bought the Colnago... still looking for the right Gazelle.
I use the same gazelle link to place the year it has the serial number spread by year. Size is on the rear brake support serial on the BB. It was a nice frame at the time I did the sting measurement and everything looked straight.

Tony