Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrade my trusty Cross Check, or..no?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 10:36 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I have a 2016 CC, Cuba Libre brown, that I bought as the stock ss model at the time. Aside from functional/performance/fit upgrades--stem, rear cog, bars, bars, pedals--the usual---it's pretty bare bones stock. Avid V-brakes, whatever this no-name crankset is, stock Knards, Alex wheels etc. It's flat bar now, but has been drop bar and geared at times. Flat bar/ss is it's happy place for me. It works great. It sees road to singletrack.
I also have a "modern" gravel bike that I mostly ride 'cause I live near the mountains, but ultimately, I love the 'Check. I'd keep it over the other bike if it came down to it. I see myself riding it when I'm older and grayer, def as a singlespeed.
So if I was gonna put a little $ into it, give it some love, what would you do first? Better wheels I assume, but what else? Do a total Paul Comp makeover?
As I say, it works, but I'm not looking for "if it ain't broke" replies. I want to have a little fun and maybe spend a few bucks to make it a little more special. I love tubeless on my gravel rig, but...should I go there on a bike like this? Any ideas welcome.
In other words, show me your dialed singlespeed Cross Checks!

Last edited by pbass; 06-11-20 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 06:54 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
First: Tires. Treat yourself to some premium rubber. By far the easiest and cheapest upgrade that you can do to almost any bike.
Next: Wheels. Nice hubs, light rims and triple-butted spokes will liven up the ride. I wouldn’t bother with carbon on a rim brake bike. Use a free hub so you can still go back to geared if you want
Third: Thompson stem and seatpost. Will shed some weight and provide some light bling.
Fourth: Cranks. The stock Andel cranks, while durable, are a good place to shed some weight.

All just my opinions, and I’m sure many will disagree.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 06-12-20, 10:07 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
First: Tires. Treat yourself to some premium rubber. By far the easiest and cheapest upgrade that you can do to almost any bike.
Next: Wheels. Nice hubs, light rims and triple-butted spokes will liven up the ride. I wouldn’t bother with carbon on a rim brake bike. Use a free hub so you can still go back to geared if you want
Third: Thompson stem and seatpost. Will shed some weight and provide some light bling.
Fourth: Cranks. The stock Andel cranks, while durable, are a good place to shed some weight.

All just my opinions, and I’m sure many will disagree.
Excellent suggestions. Big fan of the Thomson seatposts--I have a setback one on my other bike, and I have a straight one sitting here in my bin, but I need a setback for the Cross Check too. The stock Knards work great, but they're a few years old, and it would be fun to try some new rubber. Seatpost/stem/tires I can go ahead and spring for now, while I start researching the bigger ticket items like wheels. Thanks for the ideas!
EDIT: also considering some Paul Motolite brakes - they ain't cheap, but they sure look cool.

Last edited by pbass; 06-12-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-17-20, 09:01 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Agreed that tires would be the first place I would look. I have no firsthand experience with the Knard but it seems like a heavy tire. There are plenty of modern alternatives that should be lighter, faster rolling, and grippier.

Paul brakes are very nice.
Likes For phobus:
Old 06-17-20, 12:53 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by phobus
Agreed that tires would be the first place I would look. I have no firsthand experience with the Knard but it seems like a heavy tire. There are plenty of modern alternatives that should be lighter, faster rolling, and grippier.

Paul brakes are very nice.
The Knards are perfectly functional, and they actually do quite well off-road where I live. But yeah, comparing specs, they are on the heavy side. I'm about to pull the trigger on some new rubber---might just grab some Gravelkings as they're pretty affordable, and lighter...
Old 06-17-20, 05:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I sold my Cross Check to replace it with a carbon road bike in 2016, but there are times when i think about picking up another one and making it my own - probably as a SS. But, my biggest gripe was the toe-overlap. I'm not sure I'd go back to that bike because of it. But, that aside, the CC is a great looking bike, and you should absolutely make it shine.
Old 06-17-20, 06:42 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by the sci guy
I sold my Cross Check to replace it with a carbon road bike in 2016, but there are times when i think about picking up another one and making it my own - probably as a SS. But, my biggest gripe was the toe-overlap. I'm not sure I'd go back to that bike because of it. But, that aside, the CC is a great looking bike, and you should absolutely make it shine.
I ride a size 50, and it's true, I can get a bit of TO with this bike(I ride flat pedals so I probably move my feet around unconsciously). I don't really notice it when I'm bombing around on it, but I'm glad you mention it--I should consider that if I'm looking at anything fatter than the Knards I have on there. They're 41's, and I was looking at the GravelKing 43's....

Last edited by pbass; 06-17-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 07:32 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Mine was a 52, and it was a little big for me, so we aren't that far off from each other size wise it seems.
Still, a SS CC makes a great ripper - flat or drop bars!
Old 06-17-20, 08:23 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Mine was a 52, and it was a little big for me, so we aren't that far off from each other size wise it seems.
Still, a SS CC makes a great ripper - flat or drop bars!
I had a 52 and it was at various times drop bar, flat, geared, ss--you name it. Always struggled with the fit. Traded my 52 frame for a 50 with another guy who had the exact same color--a total score. It's flat bar now but I'm confident it would fit me now drop bar as well. It's funny, I love my "modern" gravel bike, but this 'ol rim brake CC is a total keeper--I plan on riding it into the sunset. There's something about the way these ride....