Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Olympic Tri-A

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Olympic Tri-A

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 03:37 PM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Nishiki Olympic Tri-A Range Infinity

I'm looking at this bike, they're asking 450, it's almost mint condition, been sitting in a shed for 20+ years. It's Tange Infinity tubes and says "Handcrafted by Kuwahara" on one of the chain stays.
I can't tell the group, but I know it has biopace chain rings. What say yous?

Last edited by hamcereal; 07-19-20 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 07-19-20, 04:26 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
If that's 450 USD I'd say it's a bit high. Also there is another forum for appraisals, so probably someone will move your thread there at some point.

Infinity is seamed tubing, which is cheaper to produce than seamless, but not to say it's bad. I have a couple of bikes like that and I like them.

Main thing would be does it fit you?
Old 07-19-20, 04:45 PM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by rgvg
If that's 450 USD I'd say it's a bit high. Also there is another forum for appraisals, so probably someone will move your thread there at some point.

Infinity is seamed tubing, which is cheaper to produce than seamless, but not to say it's bad. I have a couple of bikes like that and I like them.

Main thing would be does it fit you?
450 Canadian, I won't really be able to try it because it's in a town about 200km away, I was thinking on picking it up on my way to visit my parents out in the same direction. But size wise, it SHOULD fit, it's a 53cm and I'm 5'7"
Old 07-19-20, 05:29 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Well in Vancouver with covid 450 wouldn't be unheard of for an asking price. Not sure if they're selling at that price but I have seen some nice cl listings disappear at around the 400 mark. Prices are all over the place. Doesn't really matter what quality the bike is, it's just plenty of people asking hundreds of dollars for bottom end bikes. This one probably better quality, so that's something. Pictures or links would be great as they will help others form a better opinion.

If it's been in the shed for 20 years, you'll probably want to keep in mind it might need some service and replace the consumables. The cost for that might not be entirely trivial, especially if you need someone else to do it for you.
Old 07-19-20, 08:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,189 Posts
Op, It should fit size wise, BIMHO even thought I have a few of these and really think they are underrated.... it is way too high COVID or not, you can do better.
Ben
Old 07-20-20, 04:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
The Canadian market had two Tri-A models, the mid-range Landau Tri-A and the entry level Olympic Tri-A. The subject bicycle is lower, less desirable, of the two. Based on the very limited description, this one sounds very late 1980s to very early 1990s, in which case it likely has a lower level Exage group, probably Sport or 300EX.

Montreal is arguably the 3rd most expensive bicycle market in Canada but 200km is far enough away that I wouldn't expect metropolitan area pricing. In a pre-pandemic pandemic world, in an average Canadian market, this bicycle would be worth about half the asking price.
Old 07-20-20, 06:18 AM
hamcereal

I finally made 10 posts, here are some photos

Old 07-20-20, 06:31 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
For $450 this is optimistic pricing. The tires appear to be original or close to it. Another $100 and ~5-8 hours of work by someone who knows what they are doing and has all the tools and spare parts will bring it to good riding condition. If you already purchased it then that is a different story and the first step will be a full disassembly.

If you're in MTL we can probably help find you a better deal on a better quality bike if you are still looking.

Cosmetically it is in good shape but if you look at some of the details like bottom bracket, chainrings, faded logo on the tires, and cable housings it is clear this bike was wiped off with a cloth and put back up for sale without servicing.

Last edited by Narhay; 07-20-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-20-20, 09:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
That would appear to be a 1988 model with Shimano Exage Sport. Pricing is very aggressive for the hot Montreal market and even more so for outside Montreal. About the only market within 200km of Montreal that would approach Montreal pricing is the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
Old 07-20-20, 09:17 AM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by Narhay
For $450 this is optimistic pricing. The tires appear to be original or close to it. Another $100 and ~5-8 hours of work by someone who knows what they are doing and has all the tools and spare parts will bring it to good riding condition. If you already purchased it then that is a different story and the first step will be a full disassembly.

If you're in MTL we can probably help find you a better deal on a better quality bike if you are still looking.

Cosmetically it is in good shape but if you look at some of the details like bottom bracket, chainrings, faded logo on the tires, and cable housings it is clear this bike was wiped off with a cloth and put back up for sale without servicing.
Ya maintenance is no problem, I know my way around repairs and overhauling. I was attracted to the Tange Infinity because I used to have another bike that was Infinity and I loved the way it rode. I'll try to negotiate a bit. But I've been having a surprisingly difficult time finding a decent bike for a fair price. There have been some Marinonis, but over my budget.
Old 07-20-20, 09:59 AM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That would appear to be a 1988 model with Shimano Exage Sport. Pricing is very aggressive for the hot Montreal market and even more so for outside Montreal. About the only market within 200km of Montreal that would approach Montreal pricing is the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
Exactly, the seller is in Gatineau