Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

80s Bianchi Piaggio refurbished

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 10:45 AM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
80s Bianchi Piaggio refurbished

I bought this Bianchi very cheap, stripped the components, and had the frame lying around for a couple of years. Last month I wanted to build it up, but the paint was in pretty bad shape. I tried removing some with a rotary tool, but it was taking so long, so I ended up finding a decent price for sand blasting and powder coating.
Turned out great, I even had some vintage Bianchi decals from another cheap purchase that came with extra decals.
I mostly built up the bike with parts I had lying around in by bins. The tubing was the Manganese alloy steel, Hi-Mn
ITM bars
Nitto stem
Wolber GTX rims on 105 hubs
Miche crank
Campy pedals/cages
105 rear derailleur / 600 front
Dia-compe brakes / Shimano levers

The only brand new stuff I put on was bar tape and tires.
I'd like to sell it, but what is reasonable?

Last edited by hamcereal; 07-20-20 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Missing detail
Old 07-21-20, 12:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,029 Times in 1,542 Posts
What is the tubing? Do you have dropout adjusters for it? what parts did you take off?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-21-20, 04:00 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
May take longer to find buyer for a small frame bike for riders around 5' tall. Move seat down until it's closer to being level with handlebar stem. Get some adjustment screws for the rear dropouts. In my N. Florida market that's around a $300 bike.
Old 07-21-20, 07:51 PM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What is the tubing? Do you have dropout adjusters for it? what parts did you take off?
Tubing is Hi-Mn, high manganese steel Oji original frame tubes. I do not have the dropout adjusters... I might have some scrap lying around, but when I originally bought the bike it wasn't in great shape. There were originally Suntour BL derailleurs... The rest of the bike had been meddled with. The rear wheel was 7 speed on a 105 hub, I don't remember the rim, the front wheel was scrapped.
Old 07-21-20, 08:05 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
Originally Posted by hamcereal
Tubing is Hi-Mn, high manganese steel Oji original frame tubes. I do not have the dropout adjusters... I might have some scrap lying around, but when I originally bought the bike it wasn't in great shape. There were originally Suntour BL derailleurs... The rest of the bike had been meddled with. The rear wheel was 7 speed on a 105 hub, I don't remember the rim, the front wheel was scrapped.
+1 on lowering leveling the seat and bars to present a nice vintage correct level top line. Then take some new photo's this will instantly improve curb appeal then yes I would agree it is $250-300 bike.
Old 07-21-20, 08:15 PM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by zukahn1
+1 on lowering leveling the seat and bars to present a nice vintage correct level top line. Then take some new photo's this will instantly improve curb appeal then yes I would agree it is $250-300 bike.
Yeah i forgot to lower the seat when I took the photos🤭, I had raised it to ride because I'm 5'7" and it's annoying riding small bikes haha. I guess I'll have to take some more with the seat lowered! But you guys are saying 250-300$ US currency correct?
Old 07-23-20, 08:54 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 430 Posts
hamcereal , nice job on the paint and decals. Did you have it clear-coated after applying the decals?

The handlebars seem to be in an awkward position. The drops should not be parallel to the ground, they should angle upwards so that your wrists aren't strained when riding in that position. Correcting that would also require repositioning the brake levers.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-23-20, 04:21 PM
hamcereal

Originally Posted by branko_76
hamcereal , nice job on the paint and decals. Did you have it clear-coated after applying the decals?

The handlebars seem to be in an awkward position. The drops should not be parallel to the ground, they should angle upwards so that your wrists aren't strained when riding in that position. Correcting that would also require repositioning the brake levers.
Yeah i did clear coat the decals, the downtube decals were a bit cracked in a couple places because they were friggin old, but they turned out ok. I don't think the bar position is going to be too much of a hindrance, I don't want to mess around anymore with this bike. I've had a few lowish offers, like 300, but one of the guys concurred with my desire for a higher price, he was just on a tight budget.