Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek 610 Conversion Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 05:41 AM
Rbonn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have a ‘84 Trek 610 that I’d like to convert to a hybrid bike for camping. I have put a riser bar on it with brake levers, but the shifters are still on the down tube. What might I look for on eBay to allow me to have integrated brake levers and shifter on the bars?

I’m new at all of this and this forum has proved immeasurably helpful. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 08-13-20, 05:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5911 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 2,118 Posts
Thumb shifters are preferable to the integrated bar levers and shifters. The cheapest by a long shot are the sunrace friction thumbshifters but the supply of these appears to have dried up during the pandemic. They are cheap and good if you can find a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10.../dp/B007QMJH86

You can also put up an ad in the WTB section of the C&V forum. If you look, there are some thumbies for sale there. But yeah get friction thumb shifters.

Velo orange sells these which will allow you to mount your downtube shifters on your handlebars but they are expensive:
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...unts-22-2-23-8

The 610 came stock with friction shifting. If you want to go indexing, shimano indexing thumb shifters are good but they'll have to match your freewheel (6 or 7). The old Deore shifters are very good and they have a friction option as well so they're a good choice when looking used.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-13-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 05:52 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 723 Posts
If the shifters are original friction shifters (no clicks), you will be able to get some thumb shifters to mount on the bars, or some stem shifters to mount on the stem. Generally thumb shifters are more expensive, but I think they are better for two reasons: you can shift without moving your hand at all, and you don't bump them with your knees when standing up off the saddle to climb. Either way, you'll need some shifter cable housing and a clamp-on downtube cable housing stop to go in place of your current downtube shifters.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it! But I'll have to dissent and say I really didn't like the Sunrace thumb shifters (they kept slipping and "ghost shifting" for me), and for a few dollars more you can get some really world-class Suntour thumb shifters such as these (link pulled from ebay after 30 second search).

If you want to have indexed shifting (clicks) you'll probably have to replace the rear derailleur and freewheel and chain, but these can all be gotten cheaply. Then you can put on a Shimano "rapidfire" type trigger shifter on your riser bars. The benefit is convenience and ease of use. The drawback would be this system will much be less reliable and robust than friction shifting.

Last edited by scarlson; 08-13-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5911 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 2,118 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
snip . . .

Edit: I see someone beat me to it! But I'll have to dissent and say I really didn't like the Sunrace thumb shifters (they kept slipping and "ghost shifting" for me), and for a few dollars more you can get some really world-class Suntour thumb shifters such as these (link pulled from ebay after 30 second search).

snip . . .
I just installed a set of the sunrace thumb shifters on a rockhopper I rebuilt for my nephew. I agree that they're not the greatest thumbshifter and there are better ones out there but for $10 or so bucks including all the cables and hardware, I thought they were pretty decent. In any case, the point is moot since the supply has dried up. But yeah the world needs more quality thumbshifters,
Old 08-13-20, 10:30 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 946 Posts
I'd absolutely recommend thumb shifters for any sort of flat/upright bar setup.

This probably also means you need brake levers. Make sure you don't get levers for V-brakes and you should be OK. To be honest, the old Weinmann style brake levers would be fine- I just like totally overbuilt levers like the Shimano M700s...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-14-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 10:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,144 Posts
If your new bars will take bar end shifters, you should go that route for maximum flexibility. You can put them on the drop bars later if you want. I haven't yet tried them but soon I will spring for Silver Shifters or the Dia Compes.
Old 08-13-20, 11:22 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
The older 610s had clamp on down tube shifters. Doesn't that complicate things?
Old 08-14-20, 12:08 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
The older 610s had clamp on down tube shifters. Doesn't that complicate things?
Clamp-on DT cable stops can still be found, like this one: