Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji vs Trek

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fuji vs Trek

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 05:14 AM
Chrisb6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji vs Trek

Hi all,
I would like to share with you my concern.

I am an owner of a Fuji Transonic (2020).
As have several problems with this bike that are frame related i am into looking for another frame or a bike to which i might put on some of my components from Fuji.
I have found a Trek Domane Koppenberg in pristine condition with no faults at all and with very limited km due to health issues of the owner.

My concern is if the Trek bike is worth it since it is nearly 6 years old (according to the owner it has been bought in late 2016).

Thanks for your thoughts on this
Old 01-29-22, 06:22 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 971 Posts
Domane's are generally good bikes. Pretty straight forward with few surprises. Not much proprietary with a 6 year old model. I'd say go for it as-is unless it has a Claris group set.

Claris is chunky compared to more refined offerings. That is moot though if the bits from the Fuji are better & will swap over.

The only hang up I can think of would be the bottom bracket BSA verses what exactly?

Last edited by base2; 01-29-22 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 08:20 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 729 Posts
Keep in mind Trek only honors their lifetime frame warranty for the original purchaser. Second-hand Treks have no frame warranty. Usually not an issue, but something one needs to be aware of when buying used. Most major brands do this.
Old 01-29-22, 10:46 AM
Rusty Peters

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the Trek BB90 bottom bracket shell. Those tend to get "mixed" reviews. There are some decent aftermarket bottom brackets that address some of the shortcomings.

I think the Koppenburg is awesome. I would roll the dice, personally.
Old 01-30-22, 12:48 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Curious what issues with the Transonic frame? I am a long time Fuji SST 3.0 User. Just curious.