Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970s Dawes Galaxy Update

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 11:12 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts

Starting a new thread as the old one is now obsolete. I initially started out trying to find a new/smaller frame and ultimately (from the advice from folks in this forum) realized my frame was fine with some minor tweaks. I have since swapped out a shorter stem, rotated my bars, and moved my hoods and think this will solve my reach issue at least 95%. If not, the next step would be to get a shorter reach bar (SOMA Highway One or Nitto Noodle). Which brings this thread up to date from the old one - now I have had a BB issue with my cottered spindle and so far have been unsuccessful in finding a suitable replacement. At this point I want to ride the bike and the easiest solution seems to be to convert it to a sealed square-tapered bottom bracket, which also means a new crankset. I'm looking now for something comparable to what I have, that looks vintage such as Velo-Orange or TA Specialties, however the largest outer chainring anyone seems to offer is a 48, but I currently have a 52. Are there any new vintage looking options that offer a 52? I prefer not to buy used. If I have to go to a 48 I'll need to change out my freewheel from a 5 to a 6, 7 or a cassette as the gearing won't work as well for me. I also picked up some dura-ace bar end shifters this past weekend which will work indexed or friction, so moving to a cassette and going indexed is a possibility I was hoping not to have to do everything all at once. Any thoughts/recommendations are welcome!
Old 03-21-22, 11:18 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 703 Posts
What are the dimensions of the cottered spindle you need to replace? I have a couple from older projects that I never plan to use, so you can have one for the cost of shipping if it matches what you need.
Old 03-21-22, 11:37 AM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
What are the dimensions of the cottered spindle you need to replace? I have a couple from older projects that I never plan to use, so you can have one for the cost of shipping if it matches what you need.
These are the best measurements I could get. It also states on it TDCB and also T.D.C. No5
2= 13/16" / 20.6mm
3= 2.25" / 57.2mm
4= 1 1/8 / 28.6mm

Old 03-21-22, 11:47 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 858 Posts
How high a top gear do you need? 48/13 = 52/14 = 100 gear-inches, which for decades was the default top gear for most road bikes. I happily use 46/13 = 50/14 = 96 on two of my road bikes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-21-22, 12:00 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by John E
How high a top gear do you need? 48/13 = 52/14 = 100 gear-inches, which for decades was the default top gear for most road bikes. I happily use 46/13 = 50/14 = 96 on two of my road bikes.
It's less about the top gear and more about how I like to ride now in 52/24 on recovery days, 52/20 when I want to take it easy like commuting to work, or 52/16 when I want to push it a bit (like on my way home from work). 52/14 I rarely use except when sprinting or going downhill, but I figure my other gears are going to feel 20% easier if I have to resort to a 48. I live in Florida so it's pretty darn flat - I shift down more due to leg soreness or wind than hills. If I have to go to a 48 I see that I can get a 7 speed freewheel (Shimano Tourney MF-T500-7) and it sounds like possibly continue to use friction shifting with it though.
Old 03-21-22, 12:46 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by ericlowney
These are the best measurements I could get. It also states on it TDCB and also T.D.C. No5
2= 13/16" / 20.6mm
3= 2.25" / 57.2mm
4= 1 1/8 / 28.6mm

I will look tonight and let you know.
Old 03-21-22, 12:51 PM
ericlowney 

I will look tonight and let you know.
Thanks! No pressure or anything; I'm not optimistic that I'm going to be able to find something that matches, but would be happy for you to prove me wrong!
Old 03-21-22, 01:03 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 260 Posts
Replacement rings would be an answer for whatever crank you get.

Watch the C&V FS sub-forum for a much less expensive than new crankset, or visit that bike Coop. Maybe ease your esthetic requirements a bit, too.

if you were in the Seattle area, I’d visit Bike Works (https://bikeworks.org) where I volunteer, with you to find a suitable combination of crankset, rings and bottom bracket). If you were in Portland, OR there are similar places filled with great used bikes and parts.

Also strongly recommend that you create a gearing chart, then look at options with a smaller big chain ring. Suspect that you’d discover that your favorite gearing combinations are quite possible with other combinations.

Edit: Your last post in the previous thread says that you’ve been to that coop. No suitable cranks there?

Last edited by Dfrost; 03-21-22 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 03-21-22, 01:22 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by Dfrost
Replacement rings would be an answer for whatever crank you get.

Watch the C&V FS sub-forum for a much less expensive than new crankset, or visit that bike Coop. Maybe ease your esthetic requirements a bit, too.

if you were in the Seattle area, I’d visit Bike Works (https://bikeworks.org) where I volunteer, with you to find a suitable combination of crankset, rings and bottom bracket). If you were in Portland, OR there are similar places filled with great used bikes and parts.

Also strongly recommend that you create a gearing chart, then look at options with a smaller big chain ring. Suspect that you’d discover that your favorite gearing combinations are quite possible with other combinations.

Edit: Your last post in the previous thread says that you’ve been to that coop. No suitable cranks there?
To be fair - I only looked for the spindle and spent a significant amount of time digging through the pile of parts. At that point I already had another spindle on the way and was hoping I could make what I had work. Maybe it is a good idea to go back there and see what they have now that I'm leaning towards replacing the BB, etc... you wouldn't buy new? I made the chart for 52 vs 48 and the 48 could work I think so long as I switch to a 6 or 7 freewheel from the 5 I have now. I would not want to ride (for long) with the 48 and my current 5sp freewheel though. I live in gears 6-9 95% of the time and maybe split the other 5% between sprinting in 10 or a mix of lower gears if I have to climb a bridge. If anything I'd like more top gear, not less. Maybe I'll try to get those barend shifters on tonight and then head to the coop tomorrow when they open.
Old 03-21-22, 01:45 PM
noobinsf 

Thanks! No pressure or anything; I'm not optimistic that I'm going to be able to find something that matches, but would be happy for you to prove me wrong!
Well, shoot, I'm sorry to have gotten your hopes up, but I must have donated it in a past run to the co-op. I could have sworn I still had a couple of cottered spindles, but they are nowhere to be found.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 03-21-22, 02:05 PM
ericlowney 

Well, shoot, I'm sorry to have gotten your hopes up, but I must have donated it in a past run to the co-op. I could have sworn I still had a couple of cottered spindles, but they are nowhere to be found.
no problem, thanks for checking
Old 03-21-22, 02:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked 6,938 Times in 2,677 Posts
2= 13/16" / 20.6mm
3= 2.25" / 57.2mm
4= 1 1/8 / 28.6mm

Found one in my stash. PM me your address, and I’ll send it out.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-21-22, 02:42 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Found one in my stash. PM me your address, and I’ll send it out.
hah, no way!! I’ll send the PM now!
Old 03-21-22, 03:28 PM
Dfrost 

To be fair - I only looked for the spindle and spent a significant amount of time digging through the pile of parts. At that point I already had another spindle on the way and was hoping I could make what I had work. Maybe it is a good idea to go back there and see what they have now that I'm leaning towards replacing the BB, etc... you wouldn't buy new? I made the chart for 52 vs 48 and the 48 could work I think so long as I switch to a 6 or 7 freewheel from the 5 I have now. I would not want to ride (for long) with the 48 and my current 5sp freewheel though. I live in gears 6-9 95% of the time and maybe split the other 5% between sprinting in 10 or a mix of lower gears if I have to climb a bridge. If anything I'd like more top gear, not less. Maybe I'll try to get those barend shifters on tonight and then head to the coop tomorrow when they open.
I’d definitely buy a used crank or BB if: A. I could physically examine the parts as with either of the fitted used cranks on my bikes, or B. Purchased from a C&V member, from whom I’ve never had a poor transaction (think that’s been essentially true for all of us on C&V). Pretty sure my only new crankset was the one purchased with my new Klein frame in 1992.

I’m not a fan of any of the current new cranks other than the ones you’ve mentioned and those have gotten pricey. Sugino XD-whatever are fine.

I’ve installed plenty of used square taper cranks in 7 years rebuilding bikes for Bike Works. Never had a problem that wasn’t obvious. The challenge is to be sure the BB length is appropriate for the crank.

Sealed bearing square taper BB are either obviously bad (crunchy bearings) or fine. Just be sure to get the corresponding NDS part. Any of the Shimano varieties seem to be good. Again, I’ve used plenty of those in rebuilt bikes. OTOH, we recently had a subtle problem with one of the newer style splined BB (Octalink XX?) Not a fan, and I wasn’t before that experience, either.

Rings I’d probably get new (for middle and large, used stainless granny rings are fine) and I choose expensive TA rings that last a long time, but that’s just me. I’ve sold quite a few used rings inexpensively through our sub-forum, and hope that they’ve been good buys for the purchasers.
Old 03-21-22, 04:48 PM
ericlowney 

I’d definitely buy a used crank or BB if: A. I could physically examine the parts as with either of the fitted used cranks on my bikes, or B. Purchased from a C&V member, from whom I’ve never had a poor transaction (think that’s been essentially true for all of us on C&V). Pretty sure my only new crankset was the one purchased with my new Klein frame in 1992.

I’m not a fan of any of the current new cranks other than the ones you’ve mentioned and those have gotten pricey. Sugino XD-whatever are fine.

I’ve installed plenty of used square taper cranks in 7 years rebuilding bikes for Bike Works. Never had a problem that wasn’t obvious. The challenge is to be sure the BB length is appropriate for the crank.

Sealed bearing square taper BB are either obviously bad (crunchy bearings) or fine. Just be sure to get the corresponding NDS part. Any of the Shimano varieties seem to be good. Again, I’ve used plenty of those in rebuilt bikes. OTOH, we recently had a subtle problem with one of the newer style splined BB (Octalink XX?) Not a fan, and I wasn’t before that experience, either.

Rings I’d probably get new (for middle and large, used stainless granny rings are fine) and I choose expensive TA rings that last a long time, but that’s just me. I’ve sold quite a few used rings inexpensively through our sub-forum, and hope that they’ve been good buys for the purchasers.
Since now I've got a cottered spindle coming that should work - I guess I'm going to ride what I've got for a while longer. My chainrings don't look great, I tried to clean them up a bit but they still look pretty battered. Here's some pics. Looks like I can't change the rings without also changing the crank? Is that normal? Since I have the cottered spindle already on its way, I'll be keeping the cottered cranks. Also here is a pic of the bar end shifters I ended up picking up. So eventually may try to update the rear drivetrain to index shifting or at least a 7 speed freewheel. My main goal now is to get the bike back on the road and riding it. Then I need to prioritize the potential upgrades/work. With a new spindle/BB put together, I may see about swapping the wheels to 700c and freehub with cassette. Right now I have 27 1 1/4, they don't match, and one does not have hooks/hoops (?) in the rim so I have to ride it at a lower PSI. Hoping maybe I could gain a little more clearance as well so maybe up the tire size or at least go with a decent size tire and some fenders.

Old 03-21-22, 05:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 4569 Post(s)
Liked 6,553 Times in 3,761 Posts
Since now I've got a cottered spindle coming that should work - I guess I'm going to ride what I've got for a while longer. My chainrings don't look great, I tried to clean them up a bit but they still look pretty battered. Here's some pics. Looks like I can't change the rings without also changing the crank? Is that normal? Since I have the cottered spindle already on its way, I'll be keeping the cottered cranks. Also here is a pic of the bar end shifters I ended up picking up. So eventually may try to update the rear drivetrain to index shifting or at least a 7 speed freewheel. My main goal now is to get the bike back on the road and riding it. Then I need to prioritize the potential upgrades/work. With a new spindle/BB put together, I may see about swapping the wheels to 700c and freehub with cassette. Right now I have 27 1 1/4, they don't match, and one does not have hooks/hoops (?) in the rim so I have to ride it at a lower PSI. Hoping maybe I could gain a little more clearance as well so maybe up the tire size or at least go with a decent size tire and some fenders.

Turtle wax rust remover and chrome cleaner will get at least half of that off, green plastic bottle, chain auto parts store, Auto zone, Pep boys, etc.

Slather, sit, scrub and repeat, small stainless and or brass bristle brush.

These will clean up well and yep, likely no chainring swapping on these, there are probably some floating around but most will be the same as you have or only a tooth or two different.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-21-22, 05:30 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2539 Post(s)
Liked 3,364 Times in 2,107 Posts
All good suggestions below, however, another possible route...shallow cake pan (thrift store teflon onesw are the best) with evaporust for 24 hours. rinse in hot water while using a 3M pad. Then bar keeps friend with a toothbrush and a 3m pad again. Sometimes I have resorted to the foil and BKF as well.

And then I buy a new part...I kid I kid...sort of.

Originally Posted by merziac
Turtle wax rust remover and chrome cleaner will get at least half of that off, green plastic bottle, chain auto parts store, Auto zone, Pep boys, etc.

Slather, sit, scrub and repeat, small stainless and or brass bristle brush.

These will clean up well and yep, likely no chainring swapping on these, there are probably some floating around but most will be the same as you have or only a tooth or two different.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-21-22, 05:35 PM
ericlowney 

ok, I'll try all of those techniques. I have some time until the spindle gets here anyways and I am still figuring out how to install the bar end shifters
Old 03-22-22, 11:01 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 104 Posts
I'm following this thread since I have discussed the same issues about frame size and settled on mine as well. I'll be looking for a shorter stem, and currently keeping the cottered crankset although I'd like to replace the 42T with something smaller to tackle the hills in my area. I'm not blessed with flat terrain as you are in FL.
pic of my '72 Galaxy a work in progress
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-23-22, 06:26 AM
ericlowney 

Nice bike! I'll keep the cottered cranks once the new spindle shows up so I can focus on other items. Have you looked into wheel sizes? I read on another post someone had 700c and the brakes couldn't reach the rim, which makes me think I'll probably just stick with 27" wheels. Once I figure out the wheels, my next decision is to stay with a freewheel or move to a cassette. The bar end shifters I bought are capable of index shifting and they are 9 speed shifters so I'm honestly not sure the 'best' path yet. I'd really like to get modern/sealed wheels so they'll match, have hooks for the tire, and not require regular servicing. For a stem, I ordered a Nitto Technomic 26.0 60mm 72d Silver 225mm 1" Quill and it seems to work great (and it's dropped in price by $10 since I ordered mine ) Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Technom...ng%2C59&sr=1-1
Old 03-23-22, 06:40 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Nice bike! I'll keep the cottered cranks once the new spindle shows up so I can focus on other items. Have you looked into wheel sizes? I read on another post someone had 700c and the brakes couldn't reach the rim, which makes me think I'll probably just stick with 27" wheels. Once I figure out the wheels, my next decision is to stay with a freewheel or move to a cassette. The bar end shifters I bought are capable of index shifting and they are 9 speed shifters so I'm honestly not sure the 'best' path yet. I'd really like to get modern/sealed wheels so they'll match, have hooks for the tire, and not require regular servicing. For a stem, I ordered a Nitto
I'm using the original rims which are 27" with the "Sunshine" wide flange hubs. I'm happy with them, although the front spindle bearing races are a bit pitted. I hope to resurface them in a lathe at work (nice perk of being an Engineer in the tool and die business) I mounted 27x1-1/8 Panaracer Pasela tyres on the rims and like the way they ride.
Thanx for the info on the stem. I measured the original it I believe it was 4" or so, so the 2-3/4" of that Nitto would be an improvement. But I really need to do some more sorting and get more seat time to know what I really need. I've been thinking about bar-ends but right now I just sourced some Sunrace stem shifters (cheap, and came with cable since I need those too) to replace the flexy and broken Simplex shifters.

Last edited by swampyankee2; 03-23-22 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typos
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-23-22, 06:48 AM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by swampyankee2
I'm using the original rims which are 27" with the "Sunshine" wide flange hubs. I'm happy with them, although the front spindle bearing races are a bit pitted. I hope to resurface them in a lathe at work (nice perk of being an Engineer in the tool and die business) I mounted 27x1-1/8 Panaracer Pasela tyres on the rims and like the way they ride.
Thanx for the info on the stem. I measured the original it I believe it was 4" or so, so the 2-3/4" of that Nitto would be an improvement. But I really need to do some more sorting and get more seat time to know what I really need. I've been thinking about bar-ends but right now I just sourced some Sunrace stem shifters (cheap, and came with cable since I need those too) to replace the flexy and broken Simplex shifters.
Oh good to know, I was looking at those Pasela tires, everyone here seems to recommend them. Do you think you could fit the 27x1-1/4 tires on the frame? I am trying to have as wide a tire as possible.
Old 03-23-22, 07:38 AM
swampyankee2

My Dawes came to me with 27 x 1-1/4 tires. plenty of room in the rear, at least 1/2" clearance overall between the forks.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-23-22, 01:31 PM
Dfrost 

@ericlowney, Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but… The Dura-Ace 9-speed bar end shifters you purchased are excellent and should work fine in friction mode with just about anything you’d put on your Dawes. But they won’t index a 7-speed cassette, unless you go to the effort to swap the 7-speed spacers for thinner 9-speed with an extra thin spacer to make up the difference. If what you purchased are returnable (or you could resell them) I could probably find a 7-speed or friction-only set of bar ends at a very reasonable price for you where I volunteer. Or you could post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) on the C&V Sales sub-forum.

Or you could spread your rear triangle to 130mm (it’s very likely 120mm now) for a modern 700C wheel with 130mm cassette hub, which would be a good idea for downstream changes or use on a future frame. Then use a 9-speed cassette. That coop near you probably could supply the wheels, cassette and compatible indexable rear derailleur (basically just about any modern Shimano RD other than DA 7400-series).

You mentioned getting a very short 26.0mm Nitto stem. Are you aware that handlebars have different clamping diameters (26.0, 25.4 and Cinelli’s 26.4mm are typical with classic road bikes) and must match the stem clamping diameter (smaller diameterbars can be shimmed)? (Apologies if that is condescending)

Last edited by Dfrost; 03-23-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-23-22, 03:31 PM
ericlowney 

@ericlowney, Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but… The Dura-Ace 9-speed bar end shifters you purchased are excellent and should work fine in friction mode with just about anything you’d put on your Dawes. But they won’t index a 7-speed cassette, unless you go to the effort to swap the 7-speed spacers for thinner 9-speed with an extra thin spacer to make up the difference. If what you purchased are returnable (or you could resell them) I could probably find a 7-speed or friction-only set of bar ends at a very reasonable price for you where I volunteer. Or you could post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) on the C&V Sales sub-forum.

Or you could spread your rear triangle to 130mm (it’s very likely 120mm now) for a modern 700C wheel with 130mm cassette hub, which would be a good idea for downstream changes or use on a future frame. Then use a 9-speed cassette. That coop near you probably could supply the wheels, cassette and compatible indexable rear derailleur (basically just about any modern Shimano RD other than DA 7400-series).

You mentioned getting a very short 26.0mm Nitto stem. Are you aware that handlebars have different clamping diameters (26.0, 25.4 and Cinelli’s 26.4mm are typical with classic road bikes) and must match the stem clamping diameter (smaller diameterbars can be shimmed)? (Apologies if that is condescending)
No offense taken! I measured handlebars and the stem seems to be good. I tightened it all the way down and the bars are not moving/rotating. I came to that realization on the shifters, but they are now installed so maybe I'll convert to indexing when I change wheels or I'll just use them in friction mode and get a 7 speed freewheel. I assumed I had 126mm spacing.... I'll have to drop the rear wheel and check that. We have that bike swap this weekend so I was going to poke around and maybe try to find an old dura-ace FD (my huret is bent and rusty) and some fenders. Any advice on if switching to index shifting is worth it? I'm thinking a 7 speed freewheel would give me a lot more options where I ride 95% of the time, but the time to do it would be at the same time as the wheel upgrade. I'm also hoping the spindle is a match when it gets here Saturday, otherwise I may be at the bike swap looking for a BB and crankset... Here's some update pics after I got the new stem installed, shifters on, cables routed, and new bar tape on. Oh and I serviced the head tube as well.

Likes For ericlowney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.