Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Road Bike Purchased in 1982

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 04:33 PM
BonesHoffe

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Road Bike Purchased in 1982

I purchased a Bianchi road bike way back in 1982 in Calgary, AB, CA, I still have the bike and it's in very good condition. The serial number of this bike is AS20074. I wondering what it might be worth in today's market & looking for any info on where it may have been manufactured given the serial number. I would post photos of the bike but apparently as a new user cannot until I make 10 posts within this forum 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Old 03-22-22, 05:59 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 2,316 Times in 1,339 Posts
If you create an album in your user profile and add the picture there, someone with posting privileges can fish it out for you.
Old 03-22-22, 06:08 PM
BonesHoffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done that I think.
Old 03-22-22, 08:26 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Hey. Just checked and don’t see an album. Try again?

Where did you buy it in Calgary? Vitasport?

cheers.

Brad
Old 03-22-22, 09:25 PM
BonesHoffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Brad:
Try now. 1982 was 40 years ago so I can't remember exactly. There used to be a gold & black sticker on the bike where I originally purchaased. If my memory serves me correctly, it was the International Cycling Centre? Not sure Vitasport was in business way back then 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Cheers,
Bones
Old 03-23-22, 05:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,046 Times in 1,882 Posts
That's a 1982, Japanese manufactured Bianchi. It has a SunTour Blue LIne rear derailleur, which is era correct, so I assume it is OEM. The shift levers are not stem mounted, which is a good sign. While the crankset is cotterless. it is only a swaged model. The rims are aluminum but are 27" and the rear axle is nutted. I don't see any tubing decals on the frame and the seat post diameter looks relatively small. My overall impression of the bicycle is that it's around the crossover point from uppper entry level to lower mid-range. However, it may be a hi-tensile steel tubeset, as opposed to a having carbon-maganese or chromium-molybdenum main triangle. That is going to have a substantial effect on the price. Consequently, we should try to determine the composition of the main trtiangle from the seat post diameter.
Old 03-23-22, 09:41 AM
BonesHoffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks T-Mar:

Given I bought this bike when I was a summer student, I doubt very much it was a higher end model.

In terms of testing the composition of the triangle frame, how would I do that? Use a magnet for steel composition?

I recently had the bike in for maintenance so I replaced the original seat & the pedals for more modern versions but still have these original parts in my possession.

Cheers,
Bones Hoffe
Old 03-23-22, 11:26 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Neat bike with a nice backstory

Hope it can bring you a few more miles and smiles

Others have hit the nail on the head about the bike -- it appears to be in very nice shape and clean . Value to a total outsider like me would be maybe $175 - $200 max but it may have higher intrinsic value to someone else and these basic 10 and 12 speeds from this era can carry a small premium in a college town as they are old enough to be "retro-cool" , especially if they are from a maker like Bianchi, which means "Fancy bike" even to non bike people.

Old 03-23-22, 11:57 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by BonesHoffe
...In terms of testing the composition of the triangle frame, how would I do that? Use a magnet for steel composition?...
We get an indcation of the tubing alloy by measuring the diameter of the seat post. As alloys increase in strength, the tubes can be manufactured thinner. Since the outside diameter of the seat tube is standard, larger diamter seat posts are indicative of thinner tubing better grade alloys being used.

If you remove the seat post, the diamter may be stamped into the seat post, usually just below the minimum insertion mark, about 5 - 8cm from the bottom of the post. Typically, if would be somewhere in the range of 25.4mm to 27.2mm. If it's not stamped, then you have to measure the diameter, preferably with calipers,
Old 03-23-22, 03:17 PM
BonesHoffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey T-Mar:

Took out the seat post and its 26.0 mm in diameter. I uploaded a pic of the seat post to my "1982 Bianchi Road Bike" album.

Cheers,
Bones Hoffe
Old 03-23-22, 04:32 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked 3,317 Times in 2,080 Posts
Seems to be a Canadian market tweener between a Special and a Sport SS.

I don’t think any of the US models had Blue Line.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 03-24-22, 08:39 AM
T-Mar

...Took out the seat post and its 26.0 mm in diameter...
That's down in the range of a hi-tensile tubeset. Having said that, I went back and checked my database of Bianchi serial numbers and found another 1982 Canadian market model with SunTour Blue Line derailleurs. It used a carbon-manganese tubeset with a 26.4mm seat post.

It seems a bit strange that they would spec Blue Line derailleurs on both the hi-tensile and carbon-manganese frames. Consequently, I'm wondering if maybe the previous owner installed a smaller diameter seat post for some reason? This should be easy to versify via examination of the cinch slot cut into the back of the seat tube. If it's really a carbon-manganese frame requiring the 26.4mm seat post, the cinch slot will be about 2mm narrower at the top than at the bottom. If the 26.0mm post is correct, then the cinch slot will only be about 0.5mm narrower at the top. If you're unsure, just post a photo of the cinch slot.

I know that a difference of 0.4mm in seat post diameter does not sound like much but it's a significant difference when talking wall thickness of bicycle tubing. It would make a difference of $25-$50 in the selling price.
Old 03-24-22, 09:17 AM
BonesHoffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar:

Given I have been the only owner of this bicycle I can say with 100% confidence that this is the original seat post. Also, as you suggested, I again removed the seat post & snapped a pic where the seat attachs and posted it to my "1982 Bianchi Road Bike" album. As the pic shows, the seat tube does decrease in diameter where the seat attaches but I can't give you an accurate measurement as I do not own a caliper.

Duh! Just added another pic to my "1982 Bianchi Road Bike" album which shows the cinch slot cut into the back of the seat tube. This is what you were asking for I believe.

Cheers,
Bone Hoffe

Last edited by BonesHoffe; 03-24-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 12:52 PM
T-Mar

T-Mar:

Given I have been the only owner of this bicycle I can say with 100% confidence that this is the original seat post. Also, as you suggested, I again removed the seat post & snapped a pic where the seat attachs and posted it to my "1982 Bianchi Road Bike" album. As the pic shows, the seat tube does decrease in diameter where the seat attaches but I can't give you an accurate measurement as I do not own a caliper.

Duh! Just added another pic to my "1982 Bianchi Road Bike" album which shows the cinch slot cut into the back of the seat tube. This is what you were asking for I believe.

Cheers,
Bone Hoffe
I have seen cases where owners have forgotten about changes to their bicycles, so it doesn't hurt to ask. Regardless, it looks like it is the correct post. In which case, it would appear be a hi-tensile tubeset. Calgary is quite a hot market and while I haven't been following pricing closely since Covid-19, I'd value it at around $250 CDN. Hopefully, some members from the Calgary region will turn up be able to provide more accurate evluations. If not, it won't hurt to start with a slightly higher asking price and see what kind of offers you receive.