Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A pair of Bruce Gordons and a Mystery Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 06:20 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts

Followed up on a local ad for a Rock N Road Tour. The ad mentioned one bike, but when I showed up, it was a pair of BG’s!

Long story long;
This couple was at a coffee shop in Petaluma in the early 90s. A gent rolls up on a wonderfully restored Roadmaster ballooner. They engage the gent and it happens to be Bruce. He opens up his shop for them on a Sunday, they get measured, and put the deposits down on this pair of bikes on the spot.

I also (almost reluctantly, as I’m not much for Italian bikes) hauled this Bianchi home as well. Ultimately charmed by the Celeste paint (I am human after all), and it fitting a bill I had been looking for, I slapped a bunch of modern (Japanese) components on.
now the question is, What is it?
It is Italian threaded BB and Headset. Appears to be finely crafted. It had Pat. 84 derailers, super record non-fluted cranks, and Modolo Equipe brakes. Serial number is something like WA1184 on the BB. Campy drops and fork ends w/o eyelets. The Campione Del Mondo 86-87 indicates a bike post 87 at least, but I’ve struck out looking through catalogs. The earlier components complicate matters as well, but again, I’m no Italian expert. Any guesses on a model and perhaps tubing spec?

Likes For 4funbikes:
Old 07-27-22, 07:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,048 Times in 1,883 Posts
The Bianchi is a re-paint with replacement decals. Based on the dual bottle mounts and lack of a pump peg I'd place this circa 1985. The "B" embossed stay caps, in conjunction with Campagnolo dropouts and a chromed drive side chainstay should make this one of the Mondiale/Campione/Vittoria family of frames. However, it does look like it still has the OEM headset, which appears to the Campagnolo Victory used on the 1985 Campione and Vittoria. If it started its life in the optional, non-celeste colour, you may be able to verify the model based on colour remnants remaing inside the frame (BB shell, head tube, seat tube, steering column). The Campione came in Electric Rose, while the Vittoria came in Mediterranean Blue. Still, it's a bit of a moot point, as the frames for these models were identical in geometry and construction. Of course, that assumes it a USA market model. That serial number sounds like it could be for a Danish market model. Please submit a photo of the serial number and headset.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-27-22 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-27-22, 07:16 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Excellent grab. 👍 I don't know anything about Bruce Gordons, except for the fact that a lot of folks like them. And you have a cool story with yours. 😎
Old 07-27-22, 07:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,843 Posts
Nice bikes. Those saddles look very...cushioned.
Old 07-28-22, 05:35 PM
4funbikes

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Bianchi is a re-paint with replacement decals. Based on the dual bottle mounts and lack of a pump peg I'd place this circa 1985. The "B" embossed stay caps, in conjunction with Campagnolo dropouts and a chromed drive side chainstay should make this one of the Mondiale/Campione/Vittoria family of frames. However, it does look like it still has the OEM headset, which appears to the Campagnolo Victory used on the 1985 Campione and Vittoria. If it started its life in the optional, non-celeste colour, you may be able to verify the model based on colour remnants remaing inside the frame (BB shell, head tube, seat tube, steering column). The Campione came in Electric Rose, while the Vittoria came in Mediterranean Blue. Still, it's a bit of a moot point, as the frames for these models were identical in geometry and construction. Of course, that assumes it a USA market model. That serial number sounds like it could be for a Danish market model. Please submit a photo of the serial number and headset.

Thanks for the insight! I had a suspicion it was a repaint, this compounding my search as to what it might actually be.
Here’s the requested shots.

Likes For 4funbikes:
Old 07-28-22, 07:41 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I remember that cafe next to the Bruce Gordon shop in Petaluma. Groovy spot, and a good spot to get swept away in a double-custom bike buying experience. Do you know if they tig welded these in California, or if these are Taiwanese?

I was showing a friend my new Made in Japan Bruce Gordon the other day, and he had a funny story about trying to get BG to make a frame for his wife a decade or so ago. Apparently, the cantankerous Gordon argued that the measurements they provided couldn't be accurate and wouldn't make her a frame. I've heard this story twice, but can't vouch for it's accuracy. I think Bruce left that impression on a certain percentage of people. He seems to have had the opposite effect on the couple who ordered these bikes, probably because he could measure them himself on a quiet Sunday.
Old 07-28-22, 08:26 PM
4funbikes

Originally Posted by JacobLee
I remember that cafe next to the Bruce Gordon shop in Petaluma. Groovy spot, and a good spot to get swept away in a double-custom bike buying experience. Do you know if they tig welded these in California, or if these are Taiwanese?

I was showing a friend my new Made in Japan Bruce Gordon the other day, and he had a funny story about trying to get BG to make a frame for his wife a decade or so ago. Apparently, the cantankerous Gordon argued that the measurements they provided couldn't be accurate and wouldn't make her a frame. I've heard this story twice, but can't vouch for it's accuracy. I think Bruce left that impression on a certain percentage of people. He seems to have had the opposite effect on the couple who ordered these bikes, probably because he could measure them himself on a quiet Sunday.
He wasn’t shy about that. It’s right in the pamphlet that accompanied these bikes..

and this bit about the welder of these frames…

Old 07-28-22, 11:53 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by 4funbikes
He wasn’t shy about that. It’s right in the pamphlet that accompanied these bikes..

and this bit about the welder of these frames…

That's so cool that you got the paperwork with them! I've got a couple of frames made by a Petaluma builder who worked for BG and now I see where he learned his spiel. He would never disclose the tubing he used, and I always thought it was strange. Everyone else at the time was slapping big old 853 stickers on everything. So thanks for this bit of insight.
Old 07-29-22, 07:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,843 Posts
Doesn't Richard Sachs (or maybe I'm thinking of someone else) say pretty much the same thing? "You're paying me for my expertise, either trust me to know what is the best mix of tubing for your frame or go buy from someone else." If your name/reputation is big enough, you don't have to try to boost the quality of the frame by adding an impressive-sounding tubing sticker on it.
Old 07-29-22, 07:56 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,048 Times in 1,883 Posts
Originally Posted by 4funbikes
...Here’s the requested shots.
UHfotunately, they don't help. I can't read the serial number character before the "A" and the headset shot required is the upper stack.
Old 07-29-22, 03:31 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
Great haul, 4funbikes! Enjoy the ride!!!

aceves
Old 07-29-22, 05:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,626 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Doesn't Richard Sachs (or maybe I'm thinking of someone else) say pretty much the same thing? "You're paying me for my expertise, either trust me to know what is the best mix of tubing for your frame or go buy from someone else." If your name/reputation is big enough, you don't have to try to boost the quality of the frame by adding an impressive-sounding tubing sticker on it.
When I ordered my Peter Mooney, he said the same except that for $50 more he would go all 531 and put a sticker on. He felt the better bike got his choice and charged more for the 531 to discourage people. I still don't know what my bike is.
Likes For 79pmooney: