Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Same fit, drop and reach, as road bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 03:19 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12, 23 No. 22 Drifter X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

I am looking at getting a gravel bike. Do people usually go with the same fit as on their road bikes? Or, for example, do you start with a slightly smaller drop and reach? How about handlebar width? I've got my road bikes dialed in and wondered if I should start with that or something different.

TIA
Old 06-30-23, 04:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3365 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 1,245 Posts
Same as my road bike.
Old 06-30-23, 05:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
Many gravel bikes have a longer (frame) reach and shorter stem, and sometimes wider, splayed drop bars. What really matters is keeping the distance between the nose of your saddle (assuming same length saddles) and your favorite position on the bars (eg, inflection point of the brake hoods or hook of the drops).
Old 06-30-23, 05:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5115 Post(s)
Liked 8,446 Times in 3,988 Posts
I have my saddle position the same on all my bikes, but my gravel bike has a bit less drop than my road bike. The reach feel is very similar, but I don't know if the measurements are actually the same. On my gravel bike, I prefer a less aggressive position largely for better handling in technical terrain. I use the same width bar on both bikes, but the flare of my gravel bars (Whisky Spano) gives me a bit more leverage in the drops.
Old 06-30-23, 06:55 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 331 Posts
Similar fits for me, but it depends on what your gravel is like and how you like to ride it!

I like to ride "fast" and hit things hard, I can't help it. I run the same saddle height and saddle-to-bar reach, but around 2cm less drop on my gravel bike. I don't need to be quite as aggressive, plus the geo doesn't really allow it.

Bar width is the same at 40cm. I ditched the stock flared bars (they flared out to 50+ at the drops!) for some standard style road drop bars. Personal preference.

Last edited by tempocyclist; 06-30-23 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 11:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,702 Times in 4,289 Posts
My stack and reach is the same for my main road bike and my gravel bike.
The trail is the same too, when tire size is accounted for. Actually, same chainstay length and almost the same bb drop as well.

My gravel bike has a -6 stem and my main road bike has a -17 stem.

The effective result, when the different hood and bar lengths are taken into account, is both bikes have the same reach and the road bike is 10mm lower in stack height.
Old 07-01-23, 12:51 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
More BB drop on gravel bikes in general to compensate for larger tires. And you're not laying it down in the corners on gravel like you do on pavement, and the lower position gives you slightly more stability on bumpy downhills.
Old 07-01-23, 03:29 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
I would say it's good to start with the road fit and then adjust according to the type of riding you intend to do with the gravel bike. For gravel river trails I don't see any need to change but if you're doing more technical stuff then you might appreciate a wider bar, for example.

​​​​​

Last edited by tFUnK; 07-03-23 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-02-23, 04:28 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
It depends on what type of gravel you ride. If "gravel" means smooth dirt roads, then your road fit will be fine. For me, "gravel" means anything that isn't pavement, including some very steep rocky descents and MTB trails. For that type of riding, it is better to have your bars higher and closer to the saddle. Wider bars with a flare also give better control and access to the brakes from the drops.
Likes For dsaul: