Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommend a metric tap set please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 07:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,119 Posts

Looking for a basic metric tap set. I need to chase a pair of eyelets on a bike and figure it's time to buy a set of taps. This is not something I use very often so I want to keep this fairly basic and minimal.
Old 07-10-23, 07:14 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive set, but I would just buy the sizes you need in a higher quality. Ace Hardware sells them, and of course, Park. Grainger also carries good taps.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 07-10-23, 07:15 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Looking for a basic metric tap set. I need to chase a pair of eyelets on a bike and figure it's time to buy a set of taps. This is not something I use very often so I want to keep this fairly basic and minimal.
if for a bike, I would avoid the harbor fright sets, cheap but not that good. At least in the last 15 years.
there are not that many thread sizes that a bike uses, I would buy as needed individually. And a few dies too, namely, M6, M10x1
the 3mm as used on Campagnolo dropouts is most probably going to be pretty special in any case. Buy that best you can for that one.
a good quality tap handle, thinking one with a two jaw chuck eases use. I found mine at an estate sale of a model railroad enthusiast.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-10-23, 07:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 2,003 Posts
Forgot, M10-1 is typical for a dropout EXCEPT Campagnolo, 10x26tpi the engagement threading length allows the fudge.
Old 07-10-23, 08:01 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 1,070 Times in 548 Posts
I concur with buying individual taps. I have a Craftsman tap and die set that I bought years ago, but other than one time when I used it to fix a car, I only use the M5, M6, and occasionally the M4 sizes. I don't have an M10x1 or a 9/16 pedal tap, but they could be useful, as well.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 07-10-23, 08:24 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 795 Posts
One thing to consider is that with cheap carbon-steel taps, although they break more easily, if they do you can (depending on circumstances) anneal them and then get the bits out.

(EDM is often the only way to get a broken HSS tap out.)
Old 07-10-23, 10:01 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 485 Post(s)
Quoted: 3843 Post(s)
Liked 6,902 Times in 2,665 Posts
I've bought taps individually and have found that three are most important/useful: M5 x 0.8 for dropout eyelets and water bottle bosses, M6 x 1.0 for various fender mounts and canti posts, M10 x 1.0 for derailleur hangers. Park Tools is a good source for high quality taps: https://www.parktool.com/en-us/search?q=tap
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-10-23, 10:43 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 1,634 Times in 779 Posts
If you plan to use more than 1 or 2 times, avoid the Harbor Freight sets......
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 07-10-23, 01:16 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 310 Posts
ACE is the PLACE
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 07-10-23, 02:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,303 Times in 2,412 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
if for a bike, I would avoid the harbor fright sets, cheap but not that good. At least in the last 15 years.
there are not that many thread sizes that a bike uses, I would buy as needed individually. And a few dies too, namely, M6, M10x1
the 3mm as used on Campagnolo dropouts is most probably going to be pretty special in any case. Buy that best you can for that one.
a good quality tap handle, thinking one with a two jaw chuck eases use. I found mine at an estate sale of a model railroad enthusiast.
Avoid the Harbor Freight stuff if you are cutting new threads. But if all you are doing is chasing threads to remove paint or to restore threads, they will be perfectly fine. That said, I would also agree on only getting the ones you need. In all reality, an M5x0.8mm is about the only one that is really needed. No need for a complete set of taps at all.

I have pedal taps and a bottom bracket tap but seldom use either. I have used the pedal taps to shorten and thread cranks for my tandem and the bottom bracket tool to chase threads on my wife’s bike but they really are seldom used and not really worth the cost.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-10-23 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-10-23, 09:26 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Hanson (Irwin) sells a reasonably priced set of metric taps that you can get at most big-box stores. They will not stand up to repeated use, especially in hard materials (or clearing powder coat ), but will work well enough to get you through what most home-mechanics are using them for. "Half a turn forward, quarter turn back...that's the way we like to tap!" And make sure you use the appropriate size pilot if you are tapping new holes...taps really don't like being in undersized holes.

HSS is overkill, unless you are tapping new holes in hardened metals...though I have used the above cheapies to (very stupidly) oversize a stripped oil port hole in a coaster brake hub shell. It worked, but probably only because the material was ~3/16" thick, and already had a hole in it. Emboldened by my success, I tried to do the same with a shell that didn't have a hole, and started with a center-punch. It flattened (not blunted) my centerpunch, and didn't even scratch the surface. I'm sure a carbide scribe would've marked it, but also probably would have fractured the tip. Since the surplus guy closed his stall at the flea market, I've been trying to stretch my $0.99 scribes as far as possible.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 07-11-23, 01:20 AM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
For best results use a proper tapping fluid like Rapid Tap or Tap Magic.

And follow the advice above to tap a little bit at a time, frequently backing off the tap to break the swarf.

If the tap gets really tight and difficult to turn, back it completely out of the hole and clean the debris from the tap and from the hole.

Forcing a tap may cause it to break off inside the hole = no fun to remedy.
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 07-11-23, 04:08 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 786 Posts
I bought this set from Amazon (again, mostly chasing existing threads):

EFFICERE 40-Piece Premium Tap and Die Set - Metric Size M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M8, M10, M12, Both Coarse and Fine Teeth | Essential Threading Tool Kit with Complete Handles, Accessories and Storage Case https://a.co/d/bVdSc2o

and separately, an M10x1:

Drill America DWTSMT10X1 m10 x 1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD5NRBK...p_mob_ap_share

They've been fine for my modest needs so far. If I needed to cut new threads I'd buy something better. If I was cutting threads in stainless steel, I'd certainly go for high quality taps.
Old 07-11-23, 05:59 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Hanson (Irwin) sells a reasonably priced set of metric taps that you can get at most big-box stores. They will not stand up to repeated use, especially in hard materials (or clearing powder coat ), but will work well enough to get you through what most home-mechanics are using them for. "Half a turn forward, quarter turn back...that's the way we like to tap!" And make sure you use the appropriate size pilot if you are tapping new holes...taps really don't like being in undersized holes.

HSS is overkill, unless you are tapping new holes in hardened metals...though I have used the above cheapies to (very stupidly) oversize a stripped oil port hole in a coaster brake hub shell. It worked, but probably only because the material was ~3/16" thick, and already had a hole in it. Emboldened by my success, I tried to do the same with a shell that didn't have a hole, and started with a center-punch. It flattened (not blunted) my centerpunch, and didn't even scratch the surface. I'm sure a carbide scribe would've marked it, but also probably would have fractured the tip. Since the surplus guy closed his stall at the flea market, I've been trying to stretch my $0.99 scribes as far as possible.
I have Hanson/ Irwin, too. Very good set.
Old 07-11-23, 08:26 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 560 Posts
Add me to the “buy what you need” bandwagon. I have an HF set and it has worked fine for me since I mostly clean up threads but it is missing a couple of sizes common on bikes.

Don’t skip the cutting fluid. It’s cheap and a small bottle will last a very long time.