Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is the qr frameset dead?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is the qr frameset dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 08:02 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is the qr frameset dead?

Had a lovely salsa vaya for my hed wheels to reside in. She was my go fast bike. Then the pandemic hit and I had to cull the herd for survival sake. Some say it’s not worth it. I disagree. Help is help no matter how small. Now that I can turn down the work volume and turn up the play volume again, I want a road bike. But I seem to be marooned on quick release island as the cycling world has converted to thru axle.

Budget still dictates so custom frames are a no go.

Anything I missed out there? Or am I just going to have to save my shekels for a carbon gizmo?

steel is real
Old 07-13-23, 08:40 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 334 Posts
Thru axle wheelsets often have QR endcap adaptors. But if it's an older wheelset then perhaps thru axle adaptors do not exist. If getting a new frame, everything will be thru axle starting from ~2015. In which case, you may try to sell the current wheels to someone who could use them and just get new wheels.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-13-23, 08:43 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
But I seem to be marooned on quick release island as the cycling world has converted to thru axle.

Budget still dictates so custom frames are a no go.

steel is real
What about a non-custom frameset - for example, this Double Cross? It has QR wheels and disc brakes.
Or Surly Preamble?
Old 07-13-23, 10:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,101 Posts
I have a mixed herd and it's annoying AF.

I have a Soma Fog Cutter QR with a White Industries rear hub and SP front dyno. Disc no less - QR road disc existed for a millisecond. Neither wheels nor frame has much of an upgrade future. Plus I have a 650b wheelset for this bike that has no other purpose in life.

IIRC, the new Fog Cutter is available with replaceable dropouts that support QR and TA.
Old 07-13-23, 11:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 4,894 Times in 2,256 Posts
Thru axles are stiffer laterally, some added stiffness may be just because the latest forks are. Altho the trend toward 30+mm road/mixed tires offsets the added stiffness, Tire pressures will determine the ride & handling responsiveness one wants in a fast 'n racy new road bike.

Maybe there is online info with a side-by-side fork review, comparing the two axles?

Frame & fork - if 'steel is real' very nice used framesets (quite modern) are affordable. Soma is a good recommendation, too. Or, for a carbon frameset = check out threads on BF about 'direct from China' frames. There are several companies with a popular reputation.
Old 07-14-23, 05:32 AM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I have a mixed herd and it's annoying AF.

I have a Soma Fog Cutter QR with a White Industries rear hub and SP front dyno. Disc no less - QR road disc existed for a millisecond. Neither wheels nor frame has much of an upgrade future. Plus I have a 650b wheelset for this bike that has no other purpose in life.

IIRC, the new Fog Cutter is available with replaceable dropouts that support QR and TA.
And there it is. The thing I missed. Replaceable dropouts.
The preamble is on my list but sizes are questionable right now I have to contact surly on that. Maybe I can snag a used vaya or pre thru axle midnight spec.

hope springs eternal

thanks peeps!
Old 07-14-23, 07:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3212 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,056 Posts
I’m confused… intransit1217 , what’s important here? Going fast, reusing the old HEDs, quick releases, or a steel frameset?

The HEDs are QR disc, no? I don’t recall Vaya ever having rim brake. Are they deep section aero rims, or Ardennes/Belgium?

I also don’t think of Vaya as a go-fast bike, nor the Preamble, for that matter.

Without knoeing what model HEDs, what kind of budget, or what’s the priority, all I can say is that probably the HEDs are not as important as you think.

Checking boxes for metal frame, quick releases, and go-fast, the Wilier Montegrappa can be had for sub $2k. It’s aluminum, under 22lbs, drop bar, proper 2x drivetrain, and has classic road geometry. It’s also rim brake, so you’ll have a much easier time getting aero go-fast wheels than you will tring to find a go-fast frame for QR disc wheels.
Old 07-14-23, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6329 Post(s)
Liked 4,918 Times in 3,388 Posts
If you are flatting so much that you need wheels with a QR, then you aren't going to have fast times for a ride no matter what you get. I was a little apprehensive about giving up to the thru-axle. But I haven't had any issues because of it. It's actually made for less checks and less worries.

I was one of those that drank the kool-aide of the "steel is real" mantra not too long ago. But I have to now say that my Specialized Tarmac is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. So don't be so down on CF bikes.
Old 07-14-23, 11:29 AM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m confused… intransit1217 , what’s important here? Going fast, reusing the old HEDs, quick releases, or a steel frameset?

The HEDs are QR disc, no? I don’t recall Vaya ever having rim brake. Are they deep section aero rims, or Ardennes/Belgium?

I also don’t think of Vaya as a go-fast bike, nor the Preamble, for that matter.

Without knoeing what model HEDs, what kind of budget, or what’s the priority, all I can say is that probably the HEDs are not as important as you think.

Checking boxes for metal frame, quick releases, and go-fast, the Wilier Montegrappa can be had for sub $2k. It’s aluminum, under 22lbs, drop bar, proper 2x drivetrain, and has classic road geometry. It’s also rim brake, so you’ll have a much easier time getting aero go-fast wheels than you will tring to find a go-fast frame for QR disc wheels.
Reusing the Belgium plus wheels is #1. (I-9 hubs and Sapim spokes) I’m a Clydesdale so I stay 32 or better and I have 1300 in that wheelset so it’s hard for me to want to just trash them. Yes they are disc.
The montegrappa is the prettiest aluminum bike I’ve seen. Prefer steel or carbon. Wasn’t thrilled with my specialized sectuer sport.
Old 07-14-23, 12:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
My wife's bike has I9 torch hubs. You can buy QR end caps for them. I did, just in case I ever want to try them on my 2014 custom steel road bike that has disk brakes and QR.

In addition to I9, White Industries and DT Swiss are two other hub manufacturers that make QR/thru-axle swapping comparatively painless. I am sure there are others, too.
Old 07-14-23, 12:43 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Reusing the Belgium plus wheels is #1. (I-9 hubs and Sapim spokes) I’m a Clydesdale so I stay 32 or better and I have 1300 in that wheelset so it’s hard for me to want to just trash them. Yes they are disc.
The montegrappa is the prettiest aluminum bike I’ve seen. Prefer steel or carbon. Wasn’t thrilled with my specialized sectuer sport.
I've got HED Belgium+ rims too -- nice wheels. What about just buying a used frame with QR dropouts? Seems like the most obvious and economical solution. Check craigslist, eBay, pinkbike, theproscloset, etc.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-14-23, 01:17 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My wife's bike has I9 torch hubs. You can buy QR end caps for them. I did, just in case I ever want to try them on my 2014 custom steel road bike that has disk brakes and QR.

In addition to I9, White Industries and DT Swiss are two other hub manufacturers that make QR/thru-axle swapping comparatively painless. I am sure there are others, too.

HOLY FRIJOLES BATMAN! Gonna check with my lbs that built the wheels. If true, I’m jumping on a bikes direct bike I’ve been avoiding because it’s spec’d with 28hole Stan’s. I *think*. Had my eye on that reynolds mule kick forever. Maaaaaan
Old 07-14-23, 01:40 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 513 Posts
HOLY FRIJOLES BATMAN! Gonna check with my lbs that built the wheels. If true, I’m jumping on a bikes direct bike I’ve been avoiding because it’s spec’d with 28hole Stan’s. I *think*. Had my eye on that reynolds mule kick forever. Maaaaaan
Stan’s 3.30 can go back and forth with adapters. If I remember correctly, it’s not as simple as just end caps but they sell a kit and anyone with half a brain can figure it out.

I don’t remember what Stan’s newest hub is, and I don’t know how convertible it is.
Old 07-14-23, 01:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
anyone with half a brain can figure it out.
Depends if that half is right or left.
Old 07-14-23, 01:43 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Stan’s 3.30 can go back and forth with adapters. If I remember correctly, it’s not as simple as just end caps but they sell a kit and anyone with half a brain can figure it out.

I don’t remember what Stan’s newest hub is, and I don’t know how convertible it is.
I was wrong. DT Swiss 24 spoke. Still, yours is the best solution if my hubs are compliant.