Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Klein Pinnacle MTB Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Klein Pinnacle MTB Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 04:48 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 2,233 Times in 980 Posts
Klein Pinnacle MTB Help

Today I picked up this poorly maintained and rather neglected Klein Pinnacle mountain bike.

As found. All I did was pump up the tires and add pedals.

This is my first Klein, and I don't really know much about them except the lawsuit with Cannondale, etc., over patent infringements.

The date code on the Shimano Deore XT crank arm is "QK" which translates to November 1992.

Looking at the serial number, I'm suspecting the "N12920687" confirms that it is a 1993 model built at the end of '92. However, this is just a guess on my part and confirmation or correction from a Klein expert will be appreciated.

Obviously, the Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post, and bars are not original. The '93 catalog says a Rock Shox front fork is an option. The suspension bits need to be rebuilt or replaced. The Deore XT components appear to be original.

The biggest issue is the bubbling paint cancer. Which is a real shame because the remainder of the paint is in very nice condition.

The worst is on the bottom of the down tube.

Looks like a press-fit BB.

Lots of internal routing. All of which looks as if it should be replaced.

I don't understand why there is a brake cable stop bridge when it is equipped with V-brakes.

Thoughts, corrections, guidance and compliments appreciated.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-09-23, 05:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked 2,153 Times in 1,218 Posts
It has a brake cable bridge as it likely came with cantilever brakes. which used the stop. V’s were probably added afterwords. Looks like many areas of corrosion under the paint. Maybe sand that all down and see if you can clean that up. Sometimes that aluminum corrosion is fatal. It’s a very good quality bike for its era, Klein’s in good condition are collectors items, unfortunately yours is not in great shape due to that corrosion.
Old 08-09-23, 06:03 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I always thought that the posts for cantilever and v-brakes were in different positions relative to the rim. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I figured that I will need to sand off the paint to check the frame condition. I'll probably start with the down tube.

Fortunately, the Klein cost me nothing, so even if I just clean the components and make it ridable, I'm not out any money.

Old 08-09-23, 06:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked 2,153 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I always thought that the posts for cantilever and v-brakes were in different positions relative to the rim. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I figured that I will need to sand off the paint to check the frame condition. I'll probably start with the down tube.

Fortunately, the Klein cost me nothing, so even if I just clean the components and make it ridable, I'm not out any money.
I had a 1991 Fuji steel hardtail, no suspension, that came with canti’s. I later upgraded to V’s with no issues other than I had to run a full length rear cable and housing from cockpit to rear brake, zip tied to the top tube. It worked just fine,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-09-23, 07:54 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 548 Posts

Cantis and linear-pull V-brakes use the same "below the rim" post location. It's the old-school cenrer-pull U-brake that has the different "above the rim" posts (that are also shared with even earlier RollerCam brakes)

The brake bridge is right for a 1992, which would have had cantis. I have an 89 Pinnacle, which was the last year for the under-the-chainstay U-Brake. (No brake bridge and all three cables in the down tube)

Rockshox Suspension forks were an option, but at the time it would have been a MAG-21; i suspect the fork on this bike was added (looks like a SiD?) was added later, along with the V-brakes and later-model derailleur (although still XT)
Original fork probably would have been a chrome Tange or painted-to-match Spinner.

Shame about the paint, metallics are difficult to match, but easier in some ways than the fluoros and fades so many of them came in.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-09-23, 08:25 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
I ran v-brakes on mine for a long while with a similar setup. V-brakes came out in the mainstream sense a few years after this bike was built. Looks like axle and bottom bracket might need some attention. That's a whole other subject with specialized tools. I'd sand it all down and repaint as matching that paint will be really challenging. I had mine walnut blasted, I sanded and clear coated. I think I'll paint it someday though. Some say that, because these weren't designed for suspension, you should run them rigid. I never found anything weird about riding with the slightly elevated front end. Likely a 1" steer tube that can limit your fork options. It's a very cool bike!
Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 08-09-23, 09:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 2,000 Posts
Today I picked up this poorly maintained and rather neglected Klein Pinnacle mountain bike.

As found. All I did was pump up the tires and add pedals.

This is my first Klein, and I don't really know much about them except the lawsuit with Cannondale, etc., over patent infringements.

The date code on the Shimano Deore XT crank arm is "QK" which translates to November 1992.

Looking at the serial number, I'm suspecting the "N12920687" confirms that it is a 1993 model built at the end of '92. However, this is just a guess on my part and confirmation or correction from a Klein expert will be appreciated.

Obviously, the Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post, and bars are not original. The '93 catalog says a Rock Shox front fork is an option. The suspension bits need to be rebuilt or replaced. The Deore XT components appear to be original.

The biggest issue is the bubbling paint cancer. Which is a real shame because the remainder of the paint is in very nice condition.

The worst is on the bottom of the down tube.

Looks like a press-fit BB.

Lots of internal routing. All of which looks as if it should be replaced.

I don't understand why there is a brake cable stop bridge when it is equipped with V-brakes.

Thoughts, corrections, guidance and compliments appreciated.
That sharp shadow edge of the weld peaks my concern.
Old 08-10-23, 03:23 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by repechage
That sharp shadow edge of the weld peaks my concern.
Can you say more about why? My assumption is that you are referring to the top of the weld around the seat post collar. Is this correct?

Ironfish653 The front shock is the "Indy MC" model. I do believe I'll replace it with a rigid fork. I've not had a chance to measure the steering tube diameter yet. Thanks for the confirmation that it is most likely one inch. IIRC I have a couple of spare MTB/26" forks in storage which might work.

Does anyone know if these were measured center to center on the seat tube and top tube? I did a little sleuthing on the Vintage Trek site where I found Klein catalogs. I'm leaning towards this being a medium sized frame, but there's not much difference between it and the large.

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 08-10-23 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-10-23, 05:27 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 506 Posts
These are nice rides.
I purchased one in the early 90s and road it all around OC, CA.
Gave it to a friend in need since I mostly road bike these days.
Looking forward to your fixup / cleanup, hope it goes well.
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-10-23, 05:27 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 2,332 Times in 1,347 Posts
The fork is a 1997 Indy XC, with coils + elastomers. It came with two versions of brake bridges: one without a cable hanger for V's, and a hanger for cantis (like what you have). So it's possible the brake upgrade came later than the fork upgrade. The XT RD is from even later (early 2000's).
Likes For Clang:
Old 08-10-23, 10:38 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 548 Posts
Can you say more about why? My assumption is that you are referring to the top of the weld around the seat post collar. Is this correct?

Ironfish653 The front shock is the "Indy MC" model. I do believe I'll replace it with a rigid fork. I've not had a chance to measure the steering tube diameter yet. Thanks for the confirmation that it is most likely one inch. IIRC I have a couple of spare MTB/26" forks in storage which might work.

Does anyone know if these were measured center to center on the seat tube and top tube? I did a little sleuthing on the Vintage Trek site where I found Klein catalogs. I'm leaning towards this being a medium sized frame, but there's not much difference between it and the large.
Fair play on the fork; I was a Manitou guy until I started riding Cannondale Headshoks.
​​​​​
AFAIK, early Klein's are measured top-to-bottom; mine is a "20" as evidenced by the double bottle bosses, but it measures 18" center -to-center. Head tube is a lot taller, as well

I can also attest that they are good riders; nothing crazy in terms of geometry, but the detail and build quality are top-notch. It's lighter on it's feet than something like a 7000-series Trek, but not as racy and aggressive as my CAAD-3
For a late -80s design, It holds up pretty well.

'89 Pinnacle for reference:
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-10-23, 10:54 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Ironfish653 thanks for posting the picture of your Pinnacle. Seeing your Klein confirms my hunch that mine is a medium, which is too small for me. I'll probably build it as a beach cruiser for visitors.

Old 08-11-23, 01:16 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 2,000 Posts

yes, an area to investigate. Test, don’t guess.
Old 08-11-23, 01:27 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 671 Posts
too bad about the paint otherwise nice bike good luck with the restoration