Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

zwift hub one

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 11:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,042 Times in 2,753 Posts
zwift hub one

Zwift just introduced a mod to their trainer where the rear derailleur isn't used to change gears. The gears are virtual. It's called zwift hub one. There is only one gear in the back.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/10/...ks-review.html

The only reason I ever shift is because of zwift. Otherwise I'm in erg mode. I find shifting for zwift to be really annoying. Seems to me that this could be done outside of zwift, just have another controller. I'm not well-versed enough in the protocol to be sure.
Old 10-12-23, 04:20 PM
Redbullet

Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
I am not a fan of Zwift application, due to its lack of real simulation of real riding physics and due to their focus on gamification.
However, I must admit that their hardware "Zwift one" might be the future: take a crap old bike, put it on the trainer, and you'll have the simulation of riding a modern 24 speeds bike indoors with electronic shifting. Or, maybe I didn't understand the product?

Last edited by Redbullet; 10-12-23 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 06:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's a pretty good description of what it is, and also a good description of my trainer bike. 34-28 isn't a low enough gear for me to comfortably ride up some of the mountains in zwift, particularly on the climbing portal. It would be really nice to avoid having to put a lower gear on there. That just seems silly.
Old 10-12-23, 06:19 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Liked 709 Times in 347 Posts
I really like the concept. It would be awesome if another company came out with a similar product that was "open" and able to be used on all smart trainers and with all training software.

From reports so far, I'm fairly sure that this device will only connect to Zwift at the moment, it's locked down. Using it with other platforms is out for now. The ability is there (apparently) but other software companies will need to work with Zwift in order for it to work for other platforms, assuming Zwift even let them access the protocol.
Old 10-12-23, 06:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Liked 1,227 Times in 720 Posts
virtual shifting sounds neat and all but i actually like shifting. it is part of what make indoor riding more like out door riding.
Old 10-13-23, 10:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,612 Times in 1,060 Posts
What are the lowest and highest equivalent gears available with this trainer? Eg. riding on the flat with Trainer Difficulty at 100%, In the highest virtual gear at 90 cadence = X mph. On a real cassette same thing would be what gear combo or inches? Similar question for the lowest gear.

I assume it's the case, but is that single rear cog replaceable using a standard spline? While it supposedly will work with any chain from 8 speed to 12, I'm guessing then the cog is a 12-speed one, while if someone might be riding a 9 or 10 speed bike only, they might be a little better off reinstalling a single cog that matches their chain?
Old 10-13-23, 10:56 AM
biker222

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Hopefully Rouvy will support this in the future.
Old 10-13-23, 01:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Liked 1,227 Times in 720 Posts
ok, so reading teh review you do shift, just not your RD. there is really a button to perform a virtual shift. makes sense. too bad it is presumable wireless. had they used a wire it could have worked with all platforms.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-13-23, 02:32 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Liked 437 Times in 263 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this available for Wahoo. I have 3 bikes I train with - a 10 spd, an 11 spd, and a 12 spd. I'd be nice to simply throw whichever one I want to train on on the trainer without worrying about the cassette.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-14-23, 03:32 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,868 Times in 3,620 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
virtual shifting sounds neat and all but i actually like shifting. it is part of what make indoor riding more like out door riding.
The main use case for this is when you are using multiple bikes on the same trainer with incompatible cassettes. Or an older bike with limited gear ratios compared to your main outdoor bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-14-23, 03:38 PM
Redbullet

I have just learned that, indeed, that Zwift Hub One can only be used with Zwift app, since shifting is captured by the app, then the app sends the command to the trainer. As such, it is not of interest for me anymore.
For trainer producers, I think the big win would be to transmit the shifting directly to a "one cog trainer". Such a trainer could be used with any app, without expecting new developments of the application to support it.
Old 10-16-23, 12:35 PM
msu2001la

Liked 1,500 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's a pretty good description of what it is, and also a good description of my trainer bike. 34-28 isn't a low enough gear for me to comfortably ride up some of the mountains in zwift, particularly on the climbing portal. It would be really nice to avoid having to put a lower gear on there. That just seems silly.
Same - I have flat-land gearing on my trainer bike and swapping to more climb-friendly gearing would require some new parts. I just run the trainer difficulty setting a little lower on those long climbs, but something that gives me "virtual gearing" would be a better solution.

I like this as a concept. I also like shifting my gears while on the trainer, especially on those long climbs - finding the right cadence is part of the challenge.
Old 10-17-23, 05:55 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Liked 350 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
take a crap old bike, put it on the trainer, and you'll have the simulation of riding a modern 24 speeds bike indoors with electronic shifting.
^ This! As long as your seat, bars, shifts, and pedals are similar to your actual non-trainer bike, your body won't know that the trainer bike is a piece of cheap junk.

I have just learned that, indeed, that Zwift Hub One can only be used with Zwift app, since shifting is captured by the app, then the app sends the command to the trainer. As such, it is not of interest for me anymore.
The one thing about the new Zwift trainer that has prevented me from buying one (vs my Saris H3) is that it requires the game shifters. If Zwift figures-out how to allow shifting via one's Shimano Di2, SRAM, or Campy electronic shifters, then I'll have a hard time not buying the trainer!
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 10-17-23, 01:01 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
The one thing about the new Zwift trainer that has prevented me from buying one (vs my Saris H3) is that it requires the game shifters. If Zwift figures-out how to allow shifting via one's Shimano Di2, SRAM, or Campy electronic shifters, then I'll have a hard time not buying the trainer!
I don't think that using their controls is so difficult. I understand the shifter is a tinny device, easy to mount. My concern is that it transmits only to the app - Zwift, which is far to be my preferred app. But I guess that a one cog trainer being directly controlled by such simulation of shifting, regardless the app used, is a totally different solution and I heard nothing about such project on the market. I would say that Tacx would be well positioned to build that, given their always innovative electronic brake and virtual fly wheel. I'd switch my Tacx genius smart, although still in good shape, for such a trainer, but... who knows if or when it will be available...
Old 10-17-23, 04:38 PM
kcjc

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts
Has anyone seen one in real life? They seem to be just adjusting the "trainer difficulty" setting as you flip the accompanied gear shifter. The physical device you put on the back is an overblown fixie bike single-speed adaptor. You actually don't need to have it or replace your existing cassette. If you know the number of teeth it comes with, you can set your chain on a larger/smaller cog to get more gear.
Old 10-17-23, 06:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't think it's trainer difficulty, I think it's adding/subtracting from the slope. The trainer sets the resistance based on rider/bike weight, slope, wind, drafting, rolling resistance. So the obvious thing to do is mess with the slope. The trainer sends back the power the rider was generating and zwift only needs that.

Maybe they are doing something different, dunno. But I think that would work, and it doesn't really have to be built into the trainer or zwift. I think the reason they need zwift is because of the controls. My idea is to set a device up to tell zwift it's a trainer controller, and then hooks up to the trainer and acts like it's zwift. All it would do is mess with the slope.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-17-23 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-17-23, 09:02 PM
kcjc

Zwift sends the trainer on how much resistance to generate or work required to traverse a segment of road based on their calculation of the resistance of the route being simulated and you as a rider, the physics of the game. Trainer difficulty adjusts the resistance Zwift sends to trainer after the physics has been accounted for but does not change the work required. It does not add or subtract from the slope. It's simulating the same 15% slope whether you have 34x32 or 39x25 in the back or setting the trainer difficulty to 50% or 100%. One of those is a lot easier on the knees than the other but you are still going over the 15% slope. You may go as fast, mph, but not at the same cadence.

Last edited by kcjc; 10-17-23 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-18-23, 04:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by kcjc
Zwift sends the trainer on how much resistance to generate or work required to traverse a segment of road based on their calculation of the resistance of the route being simulated and you as a rider, the physics of the game. Trainer difficulty adjusts the resistance Zwift sends to trainer after the physics has been accounted for but does not change the work required. It does not add or subtract from the slope. It's simulating the same 15% slope whether you have 34x32 or 39x25 in the back or setting the trainer difficulty to 50% or 100%. One of those is a lot easier on the knees than the other but you are still going over the 15% slope. You may go as fast, mph, but not at the same cadence.
The “Trainer Difficulty” setting in Zwift adjusts the physical simulation of slopes. So a 50% setting makes a 20 degree slope feel like a 10 degree slope in terms of trainer resistance at the rear hub. But your virtual avatar speed is still governed by your power output and the virtual slope. So in the above example you feel the resistance of a 10 degree slope at the wheel hub, but your avatar speed is set by a 20 degree slope based on your power output.

I can’t see how adjusting “Trainer Difficulty” would work for Zwift gear simulation when riding on the flat where “Trainer Difficulty” has no effect AFAIK.
Old 10-18-23, 04:24 AM
PeteHski

Has anyone seen one in real life? They seem to be just adjusting the "trainer difficulty" setting as you flip the accompanied gear shifter. The physical device you put on the back is an overblown fixie bike single-speed adaptor. You actually don't need to have it or replace your existing cassette. If you know the number of teeth it comes with, you can set your chain on a larger/smaller cog to get more gear.
They are certainly adjusting trainer resistance to simulate gear changes, but it’s not as simple as changing the “Trainer Difficulty” setting, which only affects the resistance on slopes. In this case they are adjusting resistance to simulate different gearing regardless of slope.
Old 10-18-23, 04:31 AM
PeteHski

I don't think it's trainer difficulty, I think it's adding/subtracting from the slope. The trainer sets the resistance based on rider/bike weight, slope, wind, drafting, rolling resistance. So the obvious thing to do is mess with the slope. The trainer sends back the power the rider was generating and zwift only needs that.

Maybe they are doing something different, dunno. But I think that would work, and it doesn't really have to be built into the trainer or zwift. I think the reason they need zwift is because of the controls. My idea is to set a device up to tell zwift it's a trainer controller, and then hooks up to the trainer and acts like it's zwift. All it would do is mess with the slope.
That would probably work, but it doesn’t matter which resistance variable it chooses to mess with. All it needs to do is offset the trainer resistance in incremental steps to simulate gears.
Old 10-18-23, 04:43 AM
PeteHski

I don't think that using their controls is so difficult. I understand the shifter is a tinny device, easy to mount. My concern is that it transmits only to the app - Zwift, which is far to be my preferred app. But I guess that a one cog trainer being directly controlled by such simulation of shifting, regardless the app used, is a totally different solution and I heard nothing about such project on the market. I would say that Tacx would be well positioned to build that, given their always innovative electronic brake and virtual fly wheel. I'd switch my Tacx genius smart, although still in good shape, for such a trainer, but... who knows if or when it will be available...
Tacx and Wahoo already effectively have that solution built into their Smart Bikes ie virtual gears independent of what App you use. The Kickr Bike is particularly impressive in respect of both simulating gear change “feel” and its ability to simulate any real life drivetrain combo. Maybe they will add this feature to their Smart Trainers in response to the Zwift Hub One?
Old 10-18-23, 06:29 AM
kcjc

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They are certainly adjusting trainer resistance to simulate gear changes, but it’s not as simple as changing the “Trainer Difficulty” setting, which only affects the resistance on slopes. In this case they are adjusting resistance to simulate different gearing regardless of slope.
Except trainer difficulty works when coming down the hill. Lowering the difficulty will reduce how quickly you spin out just like being in the big gears in real life. It's a uniform application but you don't feel it much unless the grade points up. That's a dirty, not so secrete, hack people use for racing.
Old 10-18-23, 07:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Fiddling with the trainer difficulty isn't really a dirty secret in races, because you still only go as fast as your power output will make you go in their simulation.

Slope is the cleanest thing to fiddle with for simulated gears, but they might not have to do this because they are controlling both ends of the communication. It obviously wouldn't work if you have a wahoo climb. I haven't managed to get ahold of the FE-C standard, I'm just looking at some trainer control source code on github.
Old 10-18-23, 08:24 AM
PeteHski

Fiddling with the trainer difficulty isn't really a dirty secret in races, because you still only go as fast as your power output will make you go in their simulation.

Slope is the cleanest thing to fiddle with for simulated gears, but they might not have to do this because they are controlling both ends of the communication. It obviously wouldn't work if you have a wahoo climb. I haven't managed to get ahold of the FE-C standard, I'm just looking at some trainer control source code on github.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, they just need to apply a “gear” offset value to the calculated trainer resistance. No need to change any of the actual sim parameters. As you say, fudging the slope value to change resistance will cause havoc with devices like the Wahoo Climb.
Old 10-18-23, 08:33 AM
PeteHski

Except trainer difficulty works when coming down the hill. Lowering the difficulty will reduce how quickly you spin out just like being in the big gears in real life. It's a uniform application but you don't feel it much unless the grade points up. That's a dirty, not so secrete, hack people use for racing.
I always thought trainer difficulty set to 0% flattened descents as well as climbs. But I only ever use the 100% setting, so have never tested it.

The other quirk is that I think descent slope gradients are halved in Zwift for some reason even at 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.