Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend Road Caliper Brakes & Levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 06:33 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I picked up a super nice 2016 Mr. Pink frameset. Like new. I have wanted one since 2016 and finally happened on one. Pretty excited about building it. I plan to build this up as a bit of an old school rando/endurance bike. Something fast but comfortable for longer rides. I would like to use silver components to keep it a bit retro looking.

I plan to run friction shifters and picked up a pair of the Dia Comp Wing Shifters to see how they work for me. If they don't work I may just mount downtube. I need a nice pair of old style non-aero brake levers and some 47-57 road calipers.

Looking for some great brakes - something with good feel and modulation. I was thinking possibility the Velo Orange Grand Cru - about 180 a pair. I have never used them, nor has anyone I know. Any experience with these? Are there other 47-57 road caliper options which would be a better choice?

Optional Bonus Question: What non-aero levers would you recommend to compliment the calipers?
Old 10-29-23, 08:16 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,142 Posts
That's a pricey brake set, but looks nice. Any double pivot brake with good pads installed should provide great braking. Tektro, Dia Compe, etc.

Not a lot of new hooded non-aero levers out there aside from Dia Compe. The current ones look like they have more modern hand area than the best '80s models, but maybe they are the same.

Otherwise, there are repro-Campy hoods available, so you could use old Campy or other levers that also fit those hoods. The Dia Compes also tend to fit many of those old levers decently.
Old 10-29-23, 08:56 PM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Maybe check out Diacompe vintage 80's Model G brakes and same era Diacompe levers . They work well with good modulation and the levers are easy to get replacement hoods for.
Add some good brake pads and they will do the job.
Old 10-30-23, 06:08 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked 3,520 Times in 1,233 Posts
These:
Shimano 105 Brake levers Vintage Roading Bicycle SLR return springs black NOS | eBay

Excellent results when matched with any dual pivot brakeset of the appropriate size from Shimano or Tektro. Like so:

Old 10-30-23, 09:09 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 356 Posts
J&B Importers lists 15 different varieties of road brake levers by Origin8, TRP, Tektro, SunRace, and SRAM. And calipers by Cane Creek, Campagnolo, Dia Compe, Origin8, SRAM, SunRace, Odyssey, and FSA, with various reach dimensions. Most local bike shops have accounts with J&B. I suggest you give them a try.