Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Tourist - best years?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 04:59 PM
VintageBikeGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I’m planning to get a vintage Raleigh Tourist in good shape but I hear a a lot of people talking about the quality is super bad now a days. Upon checking it seems like it’s the same steel now as it’s always been, so I’m confused 😐

I’d love to get some advice on what to get and what to stay away from. Hope there’re some knowledgeable people here who want to share their insights?

Thanks a lot for an interesting forum
Old 02-03-24, 05:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3470 Post(s)
Liked 2,844 Times in 2,005 Posts
I make my assumption that you are interested in a DL-1 tourist, gents frame which was made in a 22” or 24” frame.

by the later 1970’s as I assembled them out of the shipping box, I felt the quality of the parts was less than older bikes arriving for service.
years? Maybe the chain case era bikes were of better parts finish quality.

I have a 1964 Robin Hood Super Steel bicycle- basically a DL-1. I think it has an advantage as it has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal with a Coaster! Brake. The rod brakes are not that high performance. They can be made to work reasonably well but it takes much time and rims in good shape as the brake track is on the inner circumference of the rim and the wheel really needs to be Round AND true.

Phillips, Humber also branded similar or the same bike.
Old 02-04-24, 03:41 AM
VintageBikeGuy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage
I make my assumption that you are interested in a DL-1 tourist, gents frame which was made in a 22” or 24” frame.

by the later 1970’s as I assembled them out of the shipping box, I felt the quality of the parts was less than older bikes arriving for service.
years? Maybe the chain case era bikes were of better parts finish quality.

I have a 1964 Robin Hood Super Steel bicycle- basically a DL-1. I think it has an advantage as it has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal with a Coaster! Brake. The rod brakes are not that high performance. They can be made to work reasonably well but it takes much time and rims in good shape as the brake track is on the inner circumference of the rim and the wheel really needs to be Round AND true.

Phillips, Humber also branded similar or the same bike.
Amazing. Sounds like you have first hand knowledge.

I’m from Denmark. Here the bikes are called Raleigh Tourist De Luxe. So don’t know what DL-1 is They’re assembled locally since 1999 and some parts are hand painted here too. I guess the manufacturing probably happens in China.

Anyhow, some dealers say stay away from the new ones as they rust away quickly. Read the same online. I just have a hard time understating exactly what makes them rust so quickly compared to some of the “original” ones. It’s all high ten steel. So is it the paint job or what might it be that makes the new ones so much worse?

Aha, so thats great knowledge about choosing a breaking system. I was thinking that it’s a heavy cruiser bike, so coaster breathing is not enough for when quick city breaking is crucial? I’ve also seen a lot of them with internal break systems placed at the middle of the wheels. It adds some bulk but it might be better than the rim breaks?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Old 02-04-24, 04:07 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 1,822 Posts
Pic assist. This seems to be the current version. MSRP of $1,150 - $1,250, depending on model.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-04-24, 04:19 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

I don't know what the Danish second-hand market is like, but this one is currently for sale in my area for ~ 90 USD / 630 DKK. Looks about fifty years old.

Old 02-04-24, 06:28 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 66 Posts
I would also recommend the OP go for a pre-1999 English made model if they can get one rather than the current Chinese built ones, they were made with a variety of brakes including rod, caliper, coaster and drum, the latter I have only seen on Southeast Asia models, they were mostly black but I have seem them in about 10 other colours although most of those were sold in the US in the 1970s, they were also sold under about 20 different brands including some made by Raleigh for some chain stores.
Apparently the quality did deteriorate but I would say go on condition as after a few decades anything could have happened to them, you can certainly find a nice one in the UK for around £200, wait a while and a pristine one will turn up for that or not much more.
Old 02-04-24, 10:10 AM
VintageBikeGuy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Small cog
I would also recommend the OP go for a pre-1999 English made model if they can get one rather than the current Chinese built ones, they were made with a variety of brakes including rod, caliper, coaster and drum, the latter I have only seen on Southeast Asia models, they were mostly black but I have seem them in about 10 other colours although most of those were sold in the US in the 1970s, they were also sold under about 20 different brands including some made by Raleigh for some chain stores.
Apparently the quality did deteriorate but I would say go on condition as after a few decades anything could have happened to them, you can certainly find a nice one in the UK for around £200, wait a while and a pristine one will turn up for that or not much more.
Great point. So before 1999 it is. I'll look into importing one from the UK. The market most be flooded with these amazing bikes. I look on eBay, but I can hardly find anything. Do you know the UK market and where to look for one to import maybe?
Likes For VintageBikeGuy:
Old 02-04-24, 03:55 PM
Small cog

You need to search Raleigh Superbe or Sports and there are quite a few although most are collection only that are there at the moment.
Old 02-04-24, 11:55 PM
Small cog

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Pic assist. This seems to be the current version. MSRP of $1,150 - $1,250, depending on model.

Not that I particularly like this presumably Chinese built replica but am interested to see they are being made which must make it one of the longest produced bikes at around 100 years of almost continuous manufacture, you can still buy almost identical bikes new in India made by Hero and Atlas for about £75 or $100 which puts the price into perspective.
Old 02-05-24, 02:59 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Check out dba.dk first, I'd say. There are a few for sale locally. like this early example :

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-05-24, 08:12 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 859 Posts
Vintage is great, to a point, but I draw the line at safety, particularly brakes. Rod brakes are completely unacceptable, and I have been giving up conventional sidepulls in favor of dual-pivots. KoolStop pads all around, of course.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-05-24, 09:16 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 351 Posts
If you want the full experience with rod brakes, old-style frame with bolt-up seat stays, etc., I'd look for a 1983 or earlier Nottingham-made bike at the very least. If you want to up the manufacturing quality a bit, look for a Nottingham-made roadster from 1965 or earlier. Over the course of the 1960s, they cheapened some parts and manufacturing processes. Keep in mind the "Tourist" or DL-1 model is basically a 1910s era design. It's heavy, long, and the brakes are pretty weak by today's standards. But it is a unique experience to ride one, and very enjoyable if you understand its limitations.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 02-05-24, 07:21 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage

I have a 1964 Robin Hood Super Steel bicycle- basically a DL-1. I think it has an advantage as it has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal with a Coaster! Brake.
Good to know these exist! Hoping to find one for my DL-1.