Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for an electric bike pump, screw onto valve type, doesn't need to be portable

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for an electric bike pump, screw onto valve type, doesn't need to be portable

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 10:14 AM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm seeing mostly either rechargeable ones with usb chargers or 12v cigarette chargers, not much with ac plug that also have the screw on type to valve--I've always dislike the flip up type, feel like they put strain on the valve. I don't mind the rechargeable ones if that's all there is but would prefer an ac plug,
Old 04-08-24, 10:25 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3633 Post(s)
Liked 3,059 Times in 1,849 Posts
Sounds like you want a compressor.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-08-24, 10:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,600 Posts
way overkill but as I have milwaukee 18v tools I got the Milwaukee inflator..... I added a silca chuck

you can preset desired pressure (multiple pre set) work great for bikes and cars

I am normally a why use power if I can use a simple hand tool, but this is so slick

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2848-20

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-08-24, 11:29 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
I'm seeing mostly either rechargeable ones with usb chargers or 12v cigarette chargers, not much with ac plug that also have the screw on type to valve--I've always dislike the flip up type, feel like they put strain on the valve. I don't mind the rechargeable ones if that's all there is but would prefer an ac plug,
Are you talking about connecting the air pump directly on the presta valve? That is only when I sometimes feel that I am putting strain on the valve and and feel like I may break it at some point in time. Buy a presta to schrader valve adapter. You will feel better. You get two valve adapters for a couple of bucks in Walmart, at buck a piece.

I then use Avid Power tire inflater that comes with 20v rechargeable battery that I use it for my bikes and car tires. I also have an impact wrench from the same maker, and the battery fits both. If you want a bigger battery for an added power while working on cars, you can buy 40v rechargeable battery. As for me, I never needed more than a 20v battery. It doesn't come with a screw on valve though, but I have never felt I needed one.

https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Comp...07CTGM2LD?th=1

P.S. I only check and pump air in my bike tires once in three or four weeks, and I do it at home with the above tire inflater. I then carry a mini bike pump on my rides because it is small, weigh less, and easy to carry.

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 04-08-24 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 11:40 AM
alpharalpha

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's how you have to push in then flip to lock those kind of chucks, seems simple screw on type would be easier.
Old 04-08-24, 01:50 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 282 Posts
alpharalpha: There are presta chucks that don't put the stress on the presta valve. I replaced the chuck on my Silca pump with the
. I recently purchased a
and screwed it into my new Stompump. Jaco makes an adaptor for there presta chuck that puts a male schrader on the end so you can screw it into many compressor lines.
Old 04-08-24, 03:36 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 878 Times in 436 Posts
While riding along the Arakawa, I saw a roadie refilling a tire with a portable electric pump. I suppose they work, and are probably more easy to use than most mini or micro pumps. But the ones I’ve looked at aren’t as light as I would like, and my charging table is already crowded with phones, watches, lights, cycle computers, action camera, etc.
Old 04-08-24, 03:52 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,157 Posts
do you have battery powered tools ? if yes - one option would be a compatible battery powered portable inflator

I have Dewalt battery powered tools - so I purchased the above portable inflator that operates with the same battery

I also have an optional AC adapter - but I have not used it (and they are fairly expensive)

this is one of my favorite tools - use it to inflate auto tires, garden tractor, trailer, wheelbarrow etc

if you have Milwaukee tools - squirtdad provided a link to the Milwaukee inflator

there are many other similar good options
Old 04-08-24, 04:10 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
While riding along the Arakawa, I saw a roadie refilling a tire with a portable electric pump. I suppose they work, and are probably more easy to use than most mini or micro pumps. But the ones I’ve looked at aren’t as light as I would like, and my charging table is already crowded with phones, watches, lights, cycle computers, action camera, etc.
I've been looking at small rechargeable mini-pumps to replace the ~6" mini pump and 2 CO2 cartridges I currently carry, but nothing I've found so far fills me with confidence - they're either too large/heavy or have a pretty limited reserve (1-2 tires) - and that's assuming that they're fully charged. and, like you, I already have enough chargeables to address pre-ride. I think, one day, they'll be the way to go, but they're not yet ready for primetime.