Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum freehub.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fulcrum freehub.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 07:04 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Fulcrum freehub.

We have a Fulcrum wheel with a freehub that has this spline configuration. Does this take special cogs? It looks weird to me like once the cog slides on over the wide part of the hub it will slip back and forth in the larger space near the wheel. Why are the splines shaped like this? Thanks for your comments.

Fred
Old 05-05-24, 07:41 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5899 Post(s)
Liked 2,762 Times in 1,543 Posts
I suspect that they milled away whatever they could to save weight.

In any case, it's the same as other freehubs with the same spline pattern.

Cogs are centered by the outer surface so the deeper cut doesn't matter. Also, since it's a freehub, cogs will rotate forward to rest against the straight spline and stay there, so the cut away back side doesn't matter.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-05-24, 07:48 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 762 Posts
You might have to ask Fulcrum but seems to me to be a possible weight saving tactic where they have the steel where it's needed and not where it isn't and still functions properly. Cogs will slide on the same as any other conventional freehub splines. Fulcrum HG 11v Racing Light 2014 Freehub Body | Bikeinn (tradeinn.com)

Looks like FBinNY beat me to it above.
Old 05-05-24, 10:19 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by rcommbikes
We have a Fulcrum wheel with a freehub that has this spline configuration. Does this take special cogs? It looks weird to me like once the cog slides on over the wide part of the hub it will slip back and forth in the larger space near the wheel. Why are the splines shaped like this? Thanks for your comments.

Fred
The splines are cut-away in the non-driving side. But as picture, at least 1 of the splines is full width so the sprockets can't rotate. Should not be enough force in that direction to need more that 1 full spline.
Old 05-05-24, 10:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by KCT1986
The splines are cut-away in the non-driving side. But as picture, at least 1 of the splines is full width so the sprockets can't rotate. Should not be enough force in that direction to need more that 1 full spline.
The wide spline isn't for strength. It's an orienting spline to ensure that individual sprockets are all in the same position relative to each other.

That's critical because the shift gates all have to be in the right place.

BTW there's no need to prevent sprockets from rotating back off the driving bar because it's a freehub and therefore impossible.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-05-24 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-05-24, 11:47 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The wide spline isn't for strength. It's an orienting spline to ensure that individual sprockets are all in the same position relative to each other.

That's critical because the shift gates all have to be in the right place.

BTW there's no need to prevent sprockets from rotating back off the driving bar because it's a freehub and therefore impossible.
Never said the wide spline was for strength.

Said that as long as one of the splines is not cut-away on the back side, it is strong enough to prevent the sprockets from rotating in the non-drive direction.

Even the extra wide spline could be reduced, as long as the outer end is its full width and one of the other normal width spline is full profile. One spline should still be full profile to make installation easier, if not the inner sprockets or spider can initially rotate out of position until driving force pulls it against the spline.
Old 05-05-24, 01:08 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by KCT1986

Said that as long as one of the splines is not cut-away on the back side, it is strong enough to prevent the sprockets from rotating in the non-drive direction.

That's exactly the point I was countering.

There's simply no (zero) need for anything to prevent sprockets from rotating or being installed without the front edges fully butted against the spline. The first time they're used the chain will pull them forward as far as possible. Once there, they'll obey Newton's first law and stay put.

As I said, the wide spline is for orientation and ONLY for that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-06-24, 07:25 AM
rcommbikes 

Bikes: Dahon folder, Santana tandem, Trek triathlon, Haro MTB, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's exactly the point I was countering.

There's simply no (zero) need for anything to prevent sprockets from rotating or being installed without the front edges fully butted against the spline. The first time they're used the chain will pull them forward as far as possible. Once there, they'll obey Newton's first law and stay put.

As I said, the wide spline is for orientation and ONLY for that.
I agree with weight reduction although I can’t imagine that it’s more than a few grams. Thank you all