Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame decision: modify it or find/use a Shimano AX rear

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 05:18 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,341 Times in 792 Posts

This is a wery cool frame, but I don't have (or want?) one of those rear mechs with the sheet steel guide - the bare cable exits the chainstay and uses no housing at all.
Frame weighs 1820g, fork 560g.

That nice Mr. Sweatman gives mixed reviews about the AX versions, comments from users welcome.
Is there any other rear mech that has a similar guide?

If it gets a different (housing required) mech there will likely be a small ring-stop for a ferrule, either clamped or brazed.
I don't really like the brazing idea but there are no clamps for anything else, so that would jar.
What to do.

Old 05-06-24, 05:42 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 5,196 Times in 1,822 Posts
So, there are clamps used on rear chainstays to anchor a housing with a ferrule end for various old IGH setups.

If I understand what you are trying to do , maybe you could mount one of those in the opposite direction right by where the cable comes out of the stay? I bet even a small hose clamp would work but I would protect the frame paint with tape or something.

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-06-24 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 05-06-24, 10:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4700 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 2,307 Posts
If you don't want the expense of repaint or powder coat, and you had a local framebuilder that would braze on the cable housing stop, that color blue shouldn't be too hard to match for touchup. Drill and tap the bottom bracket for a plastic cable guy and you'll be free to choose your own derailleur.

If you really like the frame it might be worth it.
Old 05-06-24, 11:47 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,574 Posts
If you look in for sale https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-sle-f-f.html

if you look close this frame has a clamp on for the rear derailer cable and housing so the are out there, but am guessing rare

Old 05-06-24, 12:06 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 135 Posts
Is this the rear for that? Though this one looks like it might be using a claw. It's 120CAD on craigslist been there for a year now. That's about 90 USD. Probably close to where I live. Comes with other bits but ad says the front brake is frozen.