Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Change Trek Domane SL5 road bike to gravel bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 01:47 AM
KLauwaet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a new road bike and am planning to convert my old bike, a Trek Domane SL5 with a Shimano 105 11-speed groupset (Front: 50/34, Rear: 11-34), into a gravel bike.
Both the crankset and cassette are worn out and need replacing. I intend to use 38c gravel tires on it.

Could you advise on suitable replacements for the crankset and cassette? Also, is it possible to retain my current front and rear derailleurs?

Are there any other considerations I should keep in mind during this conversion?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-24, 04:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,091 Times in 1,972 Posts
are you planning on keep the drop bars on it? A dropper post might be of benefit.
Old 05-13-24, 04:52 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 266 Posts
You can stick with the 105 and replace the crank rings. As for cassette, the 11-34 used in the GRX series is the same as 105. A GRX rear derailleur has a clutch that reduces chain slap but that's not necessary. I found this interesting as I have been researching for a gravel build:
GRX400 = Tiagra
GRX600 = 105
GRX800 = Ultegra
Old 05-13-24, 05:02 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by KLauwaet
I recently bought a new road bike and am planning to convert my old bike, a Trek Domane SL5 with a Shimano 105 11-speed groupset (Front: 50/34, Rear: 11-34), into a gravel bike.
Both the crankset and cassette are worn out and need replacing. I intend to use 38c gravel tires on it.
Seems to me that pretty much is a gravel bike already - I'd advise fitting the new tyres and seeing how it rides, if the worn out power train allows. If it's good then just replace those components with something similar. Otherwise you might consider converting to a 1x transmission, which will need a new rear derailleur along with the other parts.
Old 05-13-24, 05:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3774 Post(s)
Liked 5,725 Times in 2,891 Posts
I'd get a GRX crank. They are reasonably priced and a straight swap. You may be able to use your existing 105 FD but it's trial and error. Again, GRX FDs are inexpensive. I'd probably get one just to avoid the possibility of having a do over. As pointed out above, your existing RD will work but the GRX has the clutch.
Old 05-13-24, 06:02 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd get a GRX crank. They are reasonably priced and a straight swap. You may be able to use your existing 105 FD but it's trial and error. Again, GRX FDs are inexpensive. I'd probably get one just to avoid the possibility of having a do over. As pointed out above, your existing RD will work but the GRX has the clutch.
My reading says the respective GRX FD is needed as the GRX crank moves the rings 2.5mm outboard to aid with tire clearance. I don't know if there is enough adjustment in the 105 piece to make it work.
Old 05-13-24, 06:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3774 Post(s)
Liked 5,725 Times in 2,891 Posts
That is correct. Sometimes a road FD will work, sometimes it won't, trial and error. Or just get the GRX and be done.