Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another eggbeater post!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another eggbeater post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 09:20 PM
Natophelia
Bambo

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Allez; STILL drooling over Specialized Epic from afar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another eggbeater post!

I'm going to get some eggbeaters, and I'm wondering if there are sizes?? I feel like I read something about that somewhere, but I'm probably just making it up. I do that occasionaly.
Old 08-20-02, 10:24 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
nah only 1 size.. I love them.. I just put them on my bike today, they are amazing.. So much better than my ritcheys and they even feel better than 959's that i used.
Old 08-21-02, 05:40 AM
CycleMON

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quit lollygaggin' and get 'em.
Old 08-21-02, 06:59 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I run Time ATAC pedals, but all this Eggbeater talk has caught my attention. Moreover, not unlike the "this is your brain on drugs" campaign of the Reagan era, has made me hungry for eggs, but that's another story for another day.

Anywho, the Times are also very good in terms of shedding mud, but offer a much larger platform than the Eggbeaters. However, the Eggbeaters are lighter and offer 4 points of entry.

For anyone who has owned BOTH, what are your impressions? How would you contrast and compare the two?

ThanX!
Old 08-21-02, 09:09 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eggbeaters are ace! I've been using them on my wife's bike to get some practice for when I get my bike this weekend. I don't find them really any different in terms of pedal efficiency but the 4-sided entry is positive and I spend less time looking down as I don't have to spin the clip into alignment like I had to do on my single-entry Shimano clips.

Get some. Man! I just dig them Eebees. If I could roll them up and smoke them, man, what a trip that would be.
Old 08-21-02, 12:02 PM
Natophelia
Bambo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah's gonna, Cyclemon. Ah's just ain't gawt mah credut cart with me. Good thing, too, cuz I don't have much to do at work and I have a computer in front of me. CHA CHING!! Bad idea..
Old 08-21-02, 04:09 PM
f86sabjf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Everyone

I just switched to eggbeaters from my time atacs on my road bike.All I can say is they release a lot smoother/easier than the times.It doesn't seem like it takes as much sideways force to release compared to the times.This is on the same shoes so comparison should be good.Oh yeah!! I cant pull out of them.

SeeYAAAAA
Jeff
Old 08-21-02, 04:43 PM
Buddha Knuckle
Infamous Dumpster Diver

Bikes: '89 Nishiki Cascade (set-up as a tourer); '99 Gary Fisher Aquila; late 80's John Howard (by Dave Hesch); '70 Schwinn 3spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Natophelia,

I've been curious about the egg-beaters, too. At mtbreview.com a handful of folks mention that the wirey body is prone o catastrophic bending when pedal meets rock. Some other folks mention that hitting obstacles with the underside of the pedals will sometimes cause them to suddenly release on the topside (was that at all clear?). Things that make you go 'hmmmm'

BK
Old 08-22-02, 07:30 AM
Natophelia
Bambo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmmm.....

You know, really I just want to not have to fish around for somewhere to clip into. I don't want to have to look down and I don't want to have to flip pedals over. And the sooner I get some clipless pedals, the sooner I can take the current ones off that have the straps that do nothing but drag in the mud because I refuse to use them!

And dagnabit, wouldn't you know, I left my credit card at home again. Anyone want to let me borrow their number for a little while? C'mon..just for a little while...

Last edited by Natophelia; 08-22-02 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-22-02, 08:07 AM
Buddha Knuckle
Infamous Dumpster Diver

Bikes: '89 Nishiki Cascade (set-up as a tourer); '99 Gary Fisher Aquila; late 80's John Howard (by Dave Hesch); '70 Schwinn 3spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And dagnabit, wouldn't you know, I left my credit card at home again. Anyone want to let me borrow their number for a little while? C'mon..just for a little while...
Sounds like a trap!
Old 08-28-02, 08:29 AM
Natophelia
Bambo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WEEEEEEEEEELLL....after all that...I got Frogs!! Have to 'trim' the tread on my shoes though. I did some last night but I had a hard time trying not to stab myself!! What should I do that with? I was playing with the cleats and pedals in my hand and WOW those things are easy to release when you want to! Very cool. Hope I can get the pedals off/on myself.
Old 08-28-02, 01:06 PM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LOVE my eggbeaters. Best pedals ever made! The are GREAT for riding around traffic and pedestrians where I need to clip in and out frequently.
Old 08-28-02, 01:39 PM
MtnBikerChk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Natophelia
WEEEEEEEEEELLL....after all that...I got Frogs!! Have to 'trim' the tread on my shoes though. I did some last night but I had a hard time trying not to stab myself!! What should I do that with? I was playing with the cleats and pedals in my hand and WOW those things are easy to release when you want to! Very cool. Hope I can get the pedals off/on myself.
FROGS RULE!

I had to dremel all my shoes to make those cleats fit

and for the pedal itself? PULL HARD!

edit: don't forget to grease the screws before you mount the cleats!
Old 08-28-02, 02:12 PM
Natophelia
Bambo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's Dremel?? I'm not sure I have the right tool to get the pedals off. Or maybe the stock pedal was just on really tight. I replaced them with some stupid heavy ones with toe clips, and neither I nor my big roommate could get them off. I had to take it to my LBS where a pretty Jared Leto look-alike with big arms had to grunt to get them off. Huh...maybe I should hope that I CAN'T get them off so I can get him to do it again... Ahem..anyway... I have a very short thin wrech that we tried to use and it seemed more likely it was going to slice into our hands before turning the pedals.
Thanks for the info about greasing the screws. The directions that came along with my revoltingly expensive pedals were absolute crap! I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to use that 'dog bone bolt' or not. Or was it 'monkey bolt'? Something with an animal. I think I just have monkeys on the brain because a coworker has been listening to this crazy CD her son gave her. One song is a Japanese man singing in Japanese except for every once in a while saying "monKEY maGIC".
I'll go now before my brain takes another strange turn away from the subject of pedals.....
Old 08-28-02, 02:54 PM
Rotifer
WallaWalla!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dremel Moto Tool, handy little buggers.
Old 08-29-02, 01:37 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dremel? I need to do a little surgey to my shoes and I was thinking about using a sharp knife to do it. Now you mention the Dremel, and yes, I have one of the handy box sets with accessories by the dozen. Somewhere in that box is the answer to my shoe! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-29-02, 06:56 AM
MtnBikerChk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my dremel
Old 08-29-02, 09:51 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

FROGS RULE!
I had to dremel all my shoes to make those cleats fit
I had Frogs on my roadbike before switching to Zeros and had to get special SPD-style adapter platforms (one of the reasons I switched to Zeros... didn't like the big adapters and such) for my Sidi road shoes. Unfortunately, the cleat box for the adapter was too small for the Frog cleats and it took me about 2 hours per shoe with the Dremel to get things trimmed to the point where the cleats would fit. It probably would have taken me less time but I was using a rechargable Dremel and the charge was only good for a few heavy-cutting passes before I would need to recharge it again. I should have bought a spare battery.

I gave the Frogs to a friend of mine (just switching over fromm toe-clips) after getting the Zeros and she absolutely loves them. I also gave her a set of old K2 Mag-Ts (basically Shimano 747 copies) I had kicking around that came stock with my MTB before I switched over to ATACs. I told her to try each of them out and just give me back the pair she didn't like. She said she found the K2 pedals impossible to use and gave up on them. 'Course her opinion was probably influenced by the fact that she tried the Frogs first. |8^)

BTW, I tried both Eggbeaters and ATACs before deciding on the ATACs and did find the Eggbeaters a little smoother. Both seemed to be equally good in the mud... unlike my SPDs. I however did prefer the ATACs because they had a platform for those small moments when I didn't want to actually be clipped in. I then read up and found that many people claimed the titanium upgraded ATACs modified by Stan of Stan's No-Tubes offered smoother entry/release... especially for lighter riders. In the end I went ahead and got the Ti versions and have never been happier with my pedals.

The downside to ATACs is the price. ATACs are double the cost of Eggies and the Ti version I got was almost three times as expensive. For the money, Eggbeaters look like a really great deal even when compared to the lower priced Time Aliums.