Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride a Masi?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone ride a Masi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 04:54 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone ride a Masi?

My LBS has some great deals on a few different Masi's and i'm curious if anyone has any experience with them.

-Thanks
Old 09-24-05, 05:00 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the great names in custom bike especially for the pro peloton. Like Pegoretti, Masi build custom bikes for lots of pro riders, but unfortunately couldn't claim credit since they were often painted over by other trade names.

Not sure how special Masi is today though since you can get a world class bike from the new Mecca of bicycle production - Taiwan.
Old 09-24-05, 05:26 PM
Cycling Giraffe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that most any new "Masi" being sold in the US by a LBS is, in fact, made in Taiwan. In other words, probably solid bikes; nothing wrong with them, but nothing particularly special, either. However, I do not have any direct experience with them, and will defer opinions to those who do.
Old 09-24-05, 05:39 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What he said.....Name was sold,so no connection to the old Masi. A model or two may be made in Italy,otherwise is't an Aisan connection.
Old 09-24-05, 06:46 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's sad to hear. I had a cool orange one back in the day...

-Z
Old 09-25-05, 07:49 AM
Gomez308

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old buddy Dave Stoller used to ride one back in the 70's.
Old 09-29-05, 03:23 PM
123sadie123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just test rode a Masi last weekend--doing Lance's LiveStrong Ride at Nike in Beaverton, OR....

Aluminum frame w/ carbon fork...cant remember which one it was...but retailed for about $1500. Was ok--not a terrible ride, but definitely nothing to write home about. Checked out their website as I was told it was an 'Italian' bike (reading this forum...found out what that really means, that it 'started out' as 'italian')--most bikes they offer seemed to just come w/ shimano 105 components...and in doing a dealer search, found besides some LBS carrying the brand, its also carried at some of the huge retail sport stores--cant remember which ones, but something like 'sportmart', etc...like ones that carry Huffy's.

After riding a Masi all day...I personally wouldnt buy one- ride was a little rough-nothing stood out about the bike. My preferences are still CF or Ti for frame material, but mainly--a bike that fits like a glove.
Old 09-29-05, 03:30 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the guys I ride with out here picked up one of their framesets on closeout and has been pleased with it. I don't think he's written home to Argentina about it yet, but he likes it well enough.
Old 01-06-06, 04:13 PM
dark86blue
Masi Rider

Bikes: Masi Vincere 2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImprezaDrvr
One of the guys I ride with out here picked up one of their framesets on closeout and has been pleased with it. I don't think he's written home to Argentina about it yet, but he likes it well enough.
I ride a Masi Vincere 2004, and love the ride, now i'm no professional rider, but do ride pretty hard and love this bike, has all 105 comps. and seems to handle and ride great for me. will buy another one in a year. This bike takes on hills nicely and gets up and going on the flats, my buddies ride specialized and treks way more expensive than my 1500.00 Masi and I do just fine.

dark86blue
Old 01-06-06, 04:43 PM
mrt10x
Dumb@s$ Jarhead

Bikes: Calfee Dragon Fly Pro 1984 Pinarello Montello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masi's were built in Mexico until 06 and now are being built in China according to my LBS that carries them. They actually used "built in Mexico" as a selling point to me when I was looking at an 05 model. All I really wanted to see was if they had any decent wheels in the shop.. they didnt.
Old 01-07-06, 11:35 PM
Masiguy
Tim Jackson- Masiguy

Bikes: Masi, Masi, Masi, Masi and a few Masi bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your LBS was wrong.

Never made in Mexico, though I am sure several Mexican guys might have filed some lugs or prepped frames for painting, but that's the Mexican connection. Baylis or Moulton could best explain that connection.

Tim Jackson
Brand Manager
Masi Bicycles