Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special plateau breaking for 50+?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 07:42 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've been riding since January, now, and have been increasing my time & intensity on the bike(s). I started out in January at 265#. Initially, I dropped 10# down to 255. Now, my weight has crept back up to 260# and seems stuck there. Some of this has been "denser muscle for less-dense fat" substitution since my waist is smaller now, but I'm still stuck!

After cruising the Training & Nutrition (T&N) forum, they seem to suggest a slight increase in output combined with some decrease in caloric intake.

My question is: How does age affect the above advice? In my specific circumstance, I have gout, and can't eat a diet heavy in beans for protein (a fave recommendation of the weight weenies in T&N). Without substituting proteins, I'm looking at reducing the size of meals (particularly in the evenings) to reduce overall calories.

Any specific suggestions for getting out of the plateau & reducing some?
Old 09-30-05, 10:41 PM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got to diet too. I was diagnosed as diabetic last April, Doc said loose wieght or die. I call that motavation.

I don't do anything special just watch the carbs like crazy and count cals. It not as bad as I thought it would be.

The carb part is hard. But there is a lot of info on low carb diets so you are probing around in the dark.

If you can eat carbs I would suggest Weight Watchers, I have had execlent results using their program in the past.

Joe
Old 10-01-05, 01:57 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It happens to some people that weight loss does not come about through exercise or even by diet. I am one of the lucky lightweights, in that I can eat anything and never put on weight. Thanks to cycling, I even take a high carb diet to boot, so that has upset you further.

Food intake is a problem, and I have a colleague at work that is overweight, and is dieting to lose it. He is getting disheartened because he is not losing a great deal of weight whatsoever. His doctor is pleased because he is losing the bulk that he had and has gone down a trouser size in 3 months. He feels fitter, and the size of his meals is minute, even compared to what I am eating, and it is all the right stuff.
His doctor is not worried, because he reckons that shortly, the weight will come off, providing he sticks to the diet. Incidentally- he does not exercise at all, but then neither would I at 300lbs and 5'7". He still has a long way to go, but he is getting there.

You are doing the right thing be exercising, but get a diet working. Either that or get out on the bike for fast 40 mile rides. All that exercise on a body that is not ready for it means that you will not want to eat. In fact all you will want to do is find a couch and lie on it. Providing that is acompanied by a bowl of lettuce leafs and not a sticky bun- you will lose weight.
Old 10-01-05, 02:55 AM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FarHorizon, Like you I also began what I consider serious riding this year. I started in March. I got into it for the excersize rather than the weight loss. Without losing a pound, I lost bulk around my waist and began to feel much better. I was surprised that I did not lose weight as a side effect. Through July I believe I lost 4 pounds. In august I began looking to practice longer distances in anticipation of the birthday ride. My excersize ride of 10 miles is usually a real hard push type of ride charging hills etc. For longer distance I pulled back some so I would have the stamina to finish. What I found was at a lower heart rate, (I believe it is considered a more aerobic excersize level) and riding greater distances which translates into 2 hour plus rides, the pounds have begun to leave me. I got interested in dropping a few pounds so began to eat a little more responsibly at lunch. To make a long story short in the month of Sept. I lost 6 pounds which is alot for me. Rode longer rides every weekend and would drop 1-1 1/2lbs. each ride and it would stay gone. I don't know what type of riding you do but it may be worth looking into. My .02
Old 10-01-05, 06:45 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Farhorizon-essentially you have taken advantage of the "low hanging fruit"!! Sorry for the attempted humor but I'm guessing the easiest part is behind you.

Here's my experience. I've lost 50 lbs and can tell you that for me it was simply calories in versus calories out. When I first starting riding, my experience was I exercised more but that also increased my appetite. Like you, I hit a plateau and that was because I was still eating too much and not reducing my calorie intake enough.

What others have said is correct. I found it very helpful to count calories and WRITE THEM DOWN. It's amaizing how you can forget about an apple, a nutrition bar, a couple cookies, etc that add up throughout the day. Determine a safe daily calorie limit for yourself for losing about 1 lb a week and stick to it.

You'll find that in a very healthy manner you can strip off the pounds by simply increasing your riding--add some time throughout the week--which increases the calorie output and by decreasing your calorie intake. Just cut portions-reduce snacks-and cut out the "accessories", salts, butters, bread, etc. Absolutely avoid second helpings....they are just more calories.

The first week to 2 weeks is the hardest. You will get hungry. Eat a small snack of carrots or part of a banana. Eventually you can get to where you are eating more often but eating smaller portions and you will not feel the hunger tugging at you that you that you do initially.

I love to eat......but have been able to change my eating habits over the recent past and now can keep my weight stabilized by riding and eating the right things and the proper amounts.

I know you can do it. You already have the right incentive and mental approach which is 80% of it. All you need to do now is just figure out what you need to do. What I described worked for me and I hope it helps you some.
Old 10-01-05, 06:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Some of the meds I am on (or have been on) for my atrial fibrillation and BP have specific side effects of weight gain.

If you are on any meds, you might check this out.

Sadly, it seems that as I get older, it takes less and less food to keep me going. And I love food. It is certainly not a lack of exercise, as I weight lift like crazy, ride 150 miles per week, and walk several miles per day.

I am still putting on more muscle, and have been able to increase my weights. But, I honestly can't claim that as a reason for not losing as much as I would like.

I repeat - I love food! Simple as that. But I have lost about 25 pounds this last year.

Sigh
Old 10-01-05, 07:06 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How does age effect weight loss? It's harder to gain and to lose. I've lost about the same 5 lbs since starting biking. More importantly, resting heart rate dropped from low 80s to 68. I don't think the low carb diet works well. I have better results with hunger and weight control by having small servings of meat and fat [nuts,yogurt,cream cheese]. I'm "starving" if have less that 5 oz of meat. Only need a tbs or two of fat to turn off the hunger prod. Increase fruit, especially apples,pears really help with sweet tooth.

I too have been disappointed with T&N subforum, and don't visit anymore. Get a good diet/nutrition software package, many are free, and keep track. That's going to be my new years resolution.

Good luck.

Last edited by HiYoSilver; 10-01-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 07:54 AM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Increase fruit, especially apples,pears really help with sweat tooth.
Wow! My body sweats lots of places, but that's one I missed! Do you brush with anti-perspirant?

San Francisco, California
Old 10-01-05, 08:16 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It's harder to gain and to lose.
Not my experience!

I can gain just by looking at a food ad on TV. Losing is my nemesis!
Old 10-01-05, 08:25 AM
Longhorn
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just happy to have stopped gaining!

I lost 70 pounds a couple of years ago on a severe diet and have gained half of it back. I have spent my entire adult life on one diet or another and I just plain refuse to diet any more. I just try to eat fairly healthy and keep up the exercise. If that's not enough, then I guess I'm just going to be overweight but I'll still be fit.
Old 10-01-05, 12:42 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I've been riding since January, now, and have been increasing my time & intensity on the bike(s). I started out in January at 265#. Initially, I dropped 10# down to 255. Now, my weight has crept back up to 260# and seems stuck there. Some of this has been "denser muscle for less-dense fat" substitution since my waist is smaller now, but I'm still stuck!

After cruising the Training & Nutrition (T&N) forum, they seem to suggest a slight increase in output combined with some decrease in caloric intake.

My question is: How does age affect the above advice? In my specific circumstance, I have gout, and can't eat a diet heavy in beans for protein (a fave recommendation of the weight weenies in T&N). Without substituting proteins, I'm looking at reducing the size of meals (particularly in the evenings) to reduce overall calories.

Any specific suggestions for getting out of the plateau & reducing some?
Far, I'm following this thread with KEEN interest. Sounds like you and I could be twins separated at birth, except, of course, you're probably better looking. When I started biking in June, I weighed 265. I quickly dropped ten pounds, then hit the plateau. I didn't change my diet much if at all -- in my opinion I wasn't eating more or less than before.

That said, I did begin developing (OMG!) muscle. My waistline got a little smaller. Pants fit better, but I didn't lose a pant size or anything. Belts, oddly, got REAL big all of the sudden. Where I had been on the last hole, I now had to move it back two or three holes.

But I want to lose another 50 pounds. Looks like I"m going to HAVE to look at what I eat. Sigh.

I agree one of the best things to do is keep a food journal. In fact, from a previous weight loss adventure (a supervised liquid fast a few years ago where I lost 50 pounds in a couple of months, only to put it back on with bad habits).

Here's what they suggest:

1. Keep a food journal.

2. Environmental control: get all the crap out of your cupboards and fridge. If it's not there, you are less likely to go buy it.

3. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store first -- that's where the good food is. Almost everything in the aisles is junk in one form or another.

4. Five servings of fruits and veggies a day. Every day.

5. At least 8 glasses of water. Every day.

6. Obviously, avoid fast food restaurants or if you can't, at least order their salads and even then, be careful about the dressing.

So I'm going to have to do all these things. It's time to take action. I have proven to myself that I can do it, because nearly two years ago I quit smoking, and haven't looked back, and over three months ago, started exercising (with the bike, of course!) and fell in love with physical activity and now it looks like it's an established habit. Now it's on to food control.

Then, when I'm svelte, I can work on not cursing at other drivers who cut me off on the freeway!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-01-05, 02:03 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
...Sounds like you and I could be twins separated at birth, except, of course, you're probably better looking...
Obviously, you haven't seen me, brother! I suspect that the two of us have MANY more twins out there - they just aren't as smart as we are about doing their exercise and using the peer support here at bikeforums!

Thanks for the specific (and useful) tips! I'll start watching my caloric intake (AFTER my birthday), and we'll see how we're doing by Christmas. LUCK TO YOU!
Old 10-01-05, 05:26 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it is more than calories. When I get serious about dieting, I'll get a nutrition software program. I tend to eat the same foods, in a rut, I know, and concerned about missing some essentials and then going on a binge, hungry for something, but not sure what so over eat.

Without dieting, I'm losing about 1 lb every month or two. Since it took a long time to add the weight, I don't mind taking time to remove it. But this opinion may change after my physical.

Biggest thing I can think of is don't overeat just because you are exercising. One summer I worked for the forest service and hiked up and down hills all day. We had free food and ate 2 or 3 normal sized meals for dinner. At end of summer, weighted the same. So if you can stop about 3 minutes before you get that full feeling, and have a cup of hot water/tea/coffee. That should help you lose faster, I think. It does help me control portion sizes.
Old 10-01-05, 07:52 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, HiYo - I plan to start drinking a LARGE glass or two of water before EVERY meal. Hopefully, this'll make me feel full sooner.
Old 10-02-05, 02:22 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Far,

For some reason, hot water does a much better job of creating a full sensation than cold water for me. Sometimes instead of cold drink, I"ll just order a cup of hot water. Because I can't drink hot water fast, it slows down eating so I can feel full before finish entire meal.

Let us know how it goes by next month. What worked and what didn't work for you. Maybe others can learn something from your experiences.