Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I.C.E./ICE "in case of emergency..."

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I.C.E./ICE "in case of emergency..."

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 05:47 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy all!

Planning ahead for longer tours - solo - I'm trying to sort out the "in case of emergency" planning.
You hope bad stuff never happens but I figure it's just a good idea to plan.

I printed out a sheet with a scan of the receipt for my bike (proof I didn't steal it) and scans of my driver's licence and Provincial Health card. (would add Red Cross if international). At the bottom of the page, I have an "in case of emergency, contact:" two different "family units" in case one of them is away on their own trip.

My plan was to roll this up in my seat post and write "ICE: INSIDE" with a Sharpie on the post.
I'm told paramedics know what the term is.

What would all y'all do if/when you're touring solo? (aside from "don't get hurt" ;)
Also thinking leaving an itinerary with said ICE contacts would be a good idea - then they can go looking for you if you just don't show up somewhere.

Thanks.
Chris

Last edited by af895; 10-15-05 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 08:01 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
As far as paperwork goes, before I set out on a trip, I do the following:

1. Passport - scan the key pages into the computer as a pdf and ensure that my parents have that accessible somewhere in case I need it sent to me. Then I also photocopy those pages - I carry a copy with me and I give a copy to my parents. Of course, I bring the original with me.

2. Other Identification - same as with the passport - scans and photocopies. I bring a copy and the original with me. This would include driver's licence, provincial health card, etc.

3. Financial - I make sure both my parents and I have got the phone number for my credit card company, and any additional information which might be useful if my financial stuff were stolen.

4. Travel Insurance - scan the insurance papers into the computer as pdfs and ensure my parents have a copy. Photocopy those pages - bring one with me as a spare copy, and give one copy to my parents. I also bring the original with me.

5. Bicycle - same as above with the receipt and bicycle insurance information ... except that I don't bring the original receipt with me.

6. Transportation Info - because I make most of my transportation arrangements online, I just forward the confirmation emails on to my parents so they have it all. Then I print out two or three copies of it all - two to bring with me, and one to give to my parents. This information would include: flights out and back, trains, busses, car rentals, etc.

7. Accommodations Info - I rarely book all my accommodations, but if I do book some, I will do the same as above with whatever I have so that my parents and I have copies of it all. I will also ensure that my parents have the email address to Hostelling International, in case I need something looked up or to give them a place to start looking for me if necessary. In addition to that, I will bring my Hostelling International book, and I will occasionally print out a bit of accommodation information- maybe options for a particular city or something.

8. Itinerary - I make sure my parents know my basic itinerary. They might not know the exact details, and in fact I might not know the exact details, but at least they have an idea of where I'm heading.

9. Phone Numbers and Addresses - I've got several index cards with all the phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses of family and friends both back at home, and where I'm heading.

10. As I mentioned I either carry two copies of most of the stuff above, or the originals and one copy with me. I keep them in different places on the bicycle.
Old 10-15-05, 10:26 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting in the habit of thanking you for your advice Machka!

Those are very well thought out procedures. I like the idea of redundancy and putting photocopies in different places on the bike (inside handle bar/pannier/frame tube). Someone around here suggested putting a rolled up $5/$10/$20 bill inside a handle bar.

My sister and parents are computer saavy so PDFs would work GREAT. I'm dreaming of some combination of a web-based travelogue, intinerary and emergency contact page.

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-05, 11:14 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two different ideas on this topic.

I'm one of the 3 people in the country without a cell phone. But I understand that if you travel with one it's a good idea to label one number as I.C.E. & link it to that person that is your "next of kin". Police/Emergency workers will get it.

Here in the computer age it's rather easy to get access to computers so having important info stored on a Thumb Drive is a cheap, easy & light way to take it along. I think a 256mb can be had for around $20. This will hold medical, text or even photo files and only weighs a few ounces. Then if someone really needs a paper copy one can be printed. Although I haven't seen it yet, I understand that even squad car computers would be able to access a Thumb Drive. Maybe someone knows about this?
Old 10-15-05, 11:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I got some of those suggestions from here:

https://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/bon_voyage_but-en.asp

There's quite a lot of good information in that document, especially geared toward Canadians travelling abroad.

The whole site is actually full of good information:

https://www.voyage.gc.ca/consular_home-en.asp
Old 10-16-05, 12:41 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a small sheet taped to the back of my helmet, a copy in my passport wallet, and one on the downtube with some vital information.

Some of my included info is:
My name, age, Social Security#, Drivers Licence#, Health Insurance carrier name/#, Contact in case of emergency names/#'s (2), the statement "I have no known health problems/allergies, I will accept blood transfusions, I am an organ donor".

It's printed in a small font (?8 perhaps) and laminated with regular clear packing tape. It's folded so that the only thing outwardly visible is my name.

Other tips: I color copied the photo page of my passport. Some hostels/pensions/campgrounds let me use this for check in. I then didn't have to excuse myself to a restroom/private spot, to get to my underclothing passport wallet. Never get to a concealed wallet in public-that defeats its primary purpose.

On my bike I stuck stickers with my name/flight/hostel information on the tops of both racks (primarily to avoid airline "loss"). I wrapped another "vitals" sticker to my downtube.

I too keep copies of my credit cards-along with toll free #'s from Europe (where I was touring) to contact them. I kept one copy with my underclothes passport wallet, and another copy buried in a panier-along with another passport copy.

I keep money in different spots as well. The "bulk" (if any large amount) is in my concealed wallet with passport/credit cards. Money for the day is in my handlebar bag, in a waist bag. It just turns out easiest to carry my waist bag in my h-bar bag. When riding, and I stop to shop/eat my h-bar bag quick disconnects+comes with me. When in one spot for a few days, I then just use the bum bag. The bum bag also has some VERY NIFTY anti-theft features. I also keep small amounts (for snacks+such) in my shirt pocket.
Old 10-17-05, 02:33 PM
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear dog tags with home phone and medical information. Just cost a few bucks on the web. Never notice they are around my neck at all but then I did have 7 years in the Navy to get used to wearing them.

One nice thing the dog tags will survive even if you don't, at least they will know where to send the left overs to.

Joe
Old 10-18-05, 05:04 PM
mousey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Guys. This is great information I hadn't thought too much about.
Old 10-18-05, 07:40 PM
Rogerinchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taylor8
I wear dog tags with home phone and medical information. Just cost a few bucks on the web. Never notice they are around my neck at all but then I did have 7 years in the Navy to get used to wearing them.

One nice thing the dog tags will survive even if you don't, at least they will know where to send the left overs to.

Joe
Another place to find dog tags is at many Wal-Mart stores, (yeah I know how much some like to dislike Wal-Mart) some stores have a dog tag vending machine where you make your own.
Old 10-18-05, 08:44 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a dog tag with emergency contact info and my personal details on my shoe. An EMT friend told me that ID around the neck or in other locations is often overlooked in an emergency when time is tight, but that procedure dictates that shoes come off quite promptlky, so ID there is likely to catch attention more quickly than ID worn in other places...
Old 10-18-05, 09:29 PM
Rogerinchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
I wear a dog tag with emergency contact info and my personal details on my shoe. An EMT friend told me that ID around the neck or in other locations is often overlooked in an emergency when time is tight, but that procedure dictates that shoes come off quite promptlky, so ID there is likely to catch attention more quickly than ID worn in other places...
Geez..... in boot camp they said to put one on a boot lace in case you got blowed up an' they found your leg first!
Old 10-19-05, 02:53 AM
The Seldom Kill
imminent danger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one of the 3 people in the country without a cell phone. But I understand that if you travel with one it's a good idea to label one number as I.C.E. & link it to that person that is your "next of kin". Police/Emergency workers will get it.
This is indeed true. After the 7/7 bombings in London the EMS used news anaylsis spots to promote this as a good idea.

The trouble with putting contacts in a seat post is that it isn't necessarily an intuitive place to look for stuff. Not all paramedics are cyclists and even if they are they may not have a handy set of allen keys. Also in an accident the frame may get bent prohibiting access. Under emergency conditions an EMS worker isn't going to spend time on this.

Advice that I have received is to go for the three key locations; wallet or equivalent, helmet, and the obvious document storage part on your bags. This will be something like handlebar bags or the top/front pockets on a pannier. This from a paramedic who once spent about 45 minutes, whilst waiting for an air amublance to do a lift, looking for some form of contact identification. He eventually found it tucked inside the cycling glove.
Old 10-19-05, 06:47 AM
BRUCE NORTHCUTT
Velo Tourist

Bikes: GIANT OCR TOURING, NOVARA RANDONEE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lonely Planet has a FREE email service with an additional feature, Travel Vault. In the vault, you can store your important documents and retrieve the information over the internet. I keep my passport and medical information there in case I lose the hardcopies I have on the trip.

You can create an account here.

https://www.lonelyplanet.ekit.com/ekit/home/