Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New Member, Old Rider from Allentown

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 05:50 PM
FritzWalker
Fritz Walker

Bikes: Trek 1800c (road), Diamondback Apex (mtn), Marin Sausilito (hybrid commuter), Santana tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings! I'm a chemist as a way to make a living, but mostly I consider myself a cyclist. Mostly road. Have been doing serious road riding for more than 25 years. Used to race in the mid-80's, though those days are behind me. Last year total mileage was just over 5k, which was down somewhat because of a lot of work-related travel. About half of that was commuting to and from work. I'm kind of passionate about the bicycle as a superior means of practical transportation -- partly for health reasons, but largely because it's just plain fun. Yes, I do get a lot of strange looks from the people I work with when I change into my cycling gear when it's dark, and cold out (like it will be when I get done posting this and head home), but that's half the fun. Not much of a mtn biker, but I bought one earlier this year, and am anxious to improve -- which should be pretty easy, considering how bad I am at it at this point.

I'm also becoming active as a bicyclie advocate in the community, and plan to devote more time to it as some other volunteer activities have come to an end.

I'm looking forward to exploring this forum, and will be seeking some advice on my next bike purchase.
Old 01-04-06, 06:15 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You will find no shortage of good advice here from bike purchasing to riding, repair etc. Plus just some great comraderie.
Old 01-04-06, 07:07 PM
TCNJCyclist
Olé Olé Olé Olé T-C...N-J

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 2005 Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I've been commuting to college for a year and a half and I've been riding a road bike since October, and I must agree....cycling is just fun. By your introduction, it looks like you'll be active in about half of the subforums, enjoy.

Bike & Build
NJ Bike Map
Old 01-06-06, 07:28 PM
tbink
Breveteran

Bikes: 2003 Olmo Mercury,1998 Klein Quantum 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were living here in Allentown,theyre closing all the gas stations down. If the people dont get a bike,they wont be getting up today...hey hey. Welcome with my Billy Joel rendition.
Old 01-10-06, 06:19 AM
lrzipris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start saving now and when the time comes for that next bike, check out Tom Kellogg's Spectrum bikes, in Breinigsville, near the Trexlertown Velodrome. He builds great bikes: www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.htm. The velodrome is also a neat place to go and watch races: www.lvvelo.org.

Some members of the Lehigh Valley Wheelmen, www.enter.net/~lehighwheelmen, come down and ride with the Central Bucks Bike Club--lots of good riding in Upper Bucks County and nearby NJ.

In October, come down and do CBBC's Covered Bridges Ride, one of the best events around: https://www.cbbikeclub.org/?body=cove...c52e2497ae4afd
A group of BF members came out and did this ride together this past year. Another well-done ride not far from you, if you like events, is Suburban Cyclists Unlimited's Quad County Ride on May 7, 2006, from Green Lane Park.

Last edited by lrzipris; 01-13-06 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 10:18 PM
FritzWalker
Fritz Walker

Bikes: Trek 1800c (road), Diamondback Apex (mtn), Marin Sausilito (hybrid commuter), Santana tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes -- Tom Kellog's bikes are gorgeous! My next bike is going to be CF, but if I was going custom Ti or steel, that's what I'd get.

I used to live in Doylestown, and before that, Lansdale, so I know the riding down there well. It used to be even better before all the development in Bucks and Western Montgomery Counties, but it's still great riding. We did the Quad County route on our own ride earlier this year while the markings were still fresh. It was the first time I'd been back to the roads around Green Lane in probably 20 years. Great ride! I was going to do the Covered Bridge century, but was just coming back from international travel and simply couldn't make it. Maybe this year!
Old 03-01-06, 11:47 AM
jfz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Fritz. I live in the West End of town and commute to the industrial park near the Airport, where do you work?