Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 07:10 PM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one?

I bought a half gallon of soymilk for the first time today, and I really like the taste of it!! Everyone I've talked to said that soymilk tastes like crap. Am I supposed to like this stuff? Really I don't care if everyone hates it, because I'm the one drinking it, but I'm curious to find out how weird my tastes are. Before the soymilk, I only drank skim milk, which everyone seems to rip on as well, so maybe my tastes are really screwed up!

Also, is buying soymilk really worth it? It's about 2 times as expensive as my regular skim milk.
Old 04-30-06, 07:14 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12206 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 1,115 Posts
Soy milk is better than skim for making fruit shakes. Milk masks fruit flavors.
Next time get unsweetened soy milk. Most have a ton of sugar. If you need a little sweetener, add honey.

If you already drink skim milk, the usual benefit of cutting back on bad-for-you fat doesn't apply. Sounds lke 6 of one, and a half doezen of the other...
Old 04-30-06, 07:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I HATE the taste of real milk. But I like the taste of soy milk ... I can't imagine who would have told you it tastes bad!
Old 04-30-06, 08:59 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like soymilk, but not as a general substitute for regular milk. Actually I like chocolate soymilk the best. Even better than regular chocolate milk.
Old 04-30-06, 09:24 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the stuff.

I used to use milk sparingly, but someone (here, I think) said that real milk's purpose is to make baby cows grow into big fat cows. Gives you something to think about if you're trying to watch your weight...
Old 04-30-06, 09:27 PM
juf2m

Bikes: Serotta Fierte Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looooooove soy milk. Especially the Silk Unsweetened, and the 8th Continent Chocolate! *drool* It tastes so creamy. The only think I hate soy milk in is coffee. Then it's just blech.
Old 05-01-06, 05:21 AM
SandySwimmer

Bikes: Trek 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love soymilk. They've done a lot to improve flavors. Many people who don't like it haven't tried it in at least 5 years.

An added plus to liking it is there are lots of studies to show the healthy benefits of soymilk.
Old 05-01-06, 06:14 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by SandySwimmer

An added plus to liking it is there are lots of studies to show the healthy benefits of soymilk.
I'm sure you believe that but can you find these studies.

One of the many problems with soy is that its an estrogen mimic. Thats BAD news if your male and not realy good for women either. See, https://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html for the gory details.

Regards, Anthony
Old 05-01-06, 08:07 AM
SimiCyclist
Seńor Member

Location: Simi Valley, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Bikes: 1996 GT Force, 1999 Cannondale R1000, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using soymilk on cereal now for several years. Tastes much better than skim milk.
Old 05-01-06, 08:49 AM
catbus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kikkoman Pearl Unsweetened!
Old 05-01-06, 09:26 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soymilk is great, but it makes men grow boobies. Do some research on phytoestrogens and put down the soy!
Old 05-01-06, 09:41 AM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone with any experience with powdered soymilk? I need to take some on a backpacking trip, and I can't carry a week's worth of real Silk soymilk.
Old 05-01-06, 10:12 AM
wonkemtel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
soymilk is great, but it makes men grow boobies. Do some research on phytoestrogens and put down the soy!
Like anything...moderation is good.... if soy was so bad for you etc why is it that we in the US have a high cancewr rate but they don't in say china where soy is a staple. They have a huge percentage of the worlds population...If soy was such a killer wouldn't we see it there in loads and loads?!!?
Old 05-01-06, 11:25 AM
Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have been soy drinkers for many years now.
Old 05-01-06, 11:34 AM
SandySwimmer

Bikes: Trek 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soy also reduces certain cancers that men get . . . in addition to reducing the cancers that women get. Lots of studies out there -- AMA, Harvard, MD Anderson.

Plus it tastes good.
Old 05-01-06, 11:58 AM
mrfreddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
studies all sponsored by the producers of soy milk and other fine products, no doubt...
Old 05-01-06, 01:05 PM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus that significant amount of estrogen in Soy. No thanks. Especially considering where 90% of the worlds Soy comes from, and how it's produced.
Old 05-01-06, 02:51 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I like Soy Milk, but are you really drinking soy milk or are you drinking the usual Sugar + Salt + "Natural Flavors" soy milk that most grocery stores carry? I drink the real stuff (make it myself from soy beans with NOTHING added), and trust me, I have yet to meet someone else who likes the stuff.
Old 05-01-06, 03:19 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You can get good soy-milk in the Asian food stores. Typically is processed and aged properly and sweetened with sugar-cane.
Old 05-01-06, 07:28 PM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the stuff i have is 8th continent regular flavor. I read some of the studies. From what I gather, soymilk is good for you, but can affect your testosterone levels if you are a man. It won't grow boobies, but can affect sexual performance. The ingredients on my soymilk also list sugar, so I'm assuming it's really just not as good for me as regular skim milk. If that's the case, the skim will be back in the fridge after this soymilk is gone.
Old 05-01-06, 09:18 PM
randring
It's dat wooo woooooo!

Bikes: MongoosePRO Ti roadbike, Raleigh Technium 440, 2008 Surly LHT, Raleigh M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manual_overide
I bought a half gallon of soymilk for the first time today, and I really like the taste of it!! Everyone I've talked to said that soymilk tastes like crap. Am I supposed to like this stuff? Really I don't care if everyone hates it, because I'm the one drinking it, but I'm curious to find out how weird my tastes are. Before the soymilk, I only drank skim milk, which everyone seems to rip on as well, so maybe my tastes are really screwed up!

Also, is buying soymilk really worth it? It's about 2 times as expensive as my regular skim milk.
I don't think your tastes are screwed up at all. I love it. And you shouldn't care what others think. I eat and drink whatever I want to..... in moderation..... most times. So just be you.
Old 05-01-06, 09:28 PM
Mphetameme
Keys are in the ignition

Bikes: Mikado Cabot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Most have a ton of sugar. If you need a little sweetener, add honey.
Ironically, "plain" fortified soy milk (SILK brand) tastes sweeter than 2% milk but contains LESS sugar. This particular brand is sweetened with evaporated certified organic sugar cane juice. My advice is to do a side-by-side comparison on the labels. The SILK I have and the 2% milk (from Canada... I would assume all milk is the same but maybe Canadian cows are uhh... sweeter?) says:

soy milk: 6g sugars per 250ml
2% milk: 12g sugars per 250ml
Old 05-01-06, 09:29 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkemtel
Like anything...moderation is good.... if soy was so bad for you etc why is it that we in the US have a high cancewr rate but they don't in say china where soy is a staple. They have a huge percentage of the worlds population...If soy was such a killer wouldn't we see it there in loads and loads?!!?

I didn't say it was a killer - I said it makes men grow boobies. There is a ton of scientific peer-reviewed medical studies, unfunded by big business, that prove the damage these can cause.

And as for China, and Japan, places where soy is a staple, I would challenge you to look at the difference in musculature and testosterone. But I'm not trying to covert anyone. Drink it all up. I just thought I'd makethe OP aware of the other view.
Old 05-01-06, 10:04 PM
SimiCyclist
Seńor Member

Location: Simi Valley, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Bikes: 1996 GT Force, 1999 Cannondale R1000, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
I didn't say it was a killer - I said it makes men grow boobies.
I've been drinking the stuff for over two years and I'm not even close to an A cup.
Old 05-02-06, 02:02 AM
*cough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkemtel
Actually, I think they have just as high cancer rates but they tend to have different cancers and diseases, like westerners have high heart and cardiovascular diseases and asian cultures have high stomach cancers and some other stuff. I'll look it up if anyone wants.

I've also heard about the dangers of soy. I wouldn't trust that westonaprice site as sites like that tend to be pretty biased (like anti aspartime people).

We have both soy and regular milk in our fridge and when I need milk I think about the soy phytoestrogen stuff then I go for regular milk and think of that Monsanto milk issue..!!!!!!
I usually settle for water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.