Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate some help please

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 07:21 AM
corwincastle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 234 5ft 9 without shoes on. I ride bike everyday its nice out for at least 2hrs on my roadbike so Im getting at least 100 miles a week. I also dont eat alot except of steak which is once every 2 weeks or so. I drink no pop and eat no candy. I also eat broccoli as a snack and occasionally I eat peanutbutter when my sugar gets low(hypoglysemia). So what Im asking is what do I need to do to get my weight down. I mean I do pretty much everything right and it does not help. Also when I must eat out I get salad or steak. I get homemade masked potatoes and eat them with nothing on them.
Old 05-13-06, 08:00 AM
Nykon
Not evil! Misunderstood!

Bikes: Gary Fischer Tassajara Disc GS, Motobecane road bike (needs fixin up)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may sound odd, but you might need to eat more. I bought the book "Eating for life" and started the method listed in it and lost 10 lbs in about 5 weeks. I did that with very little exercise, now I have started to ride my bicycle to work and plan on riding it a whole lot more to combine the diet with exercise. Basically the book teaches you to eat smaller portions (about the size of a clenched fist or the palm of your hand) 6 times a day, and balance your protiens and your carbs in each meal. Drink nothing but water or tea and you are set. I am not saying this is the definite way but it seems to be working for me. I started at 255lbs and 6' tall and am down to 240 now. I have read a lot of other success stories on here so I know you can do it.
Old 05-13-06, 08:05 AM
SandySwimmer

Bikes: Trek 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a digitial postal scale and weigh portions -- keep track of portions and count calories for a week or two. This can be eye-opening to see what the daily eating habits are like. Usually, when people aren't losing weight, they are eating more than they realize. Exercise can really increase the appetite without us realizing it.

I agree with the smaller portions -- and that you might actually need to be eating more . . . observing your habits will help you figure this one out.

It sounds like you are getting enough cardio exercise with the biking. You might add strength training 3 days if you don't already do so. Also, cross-training can be helpful (swimming, running, elliptical, stair) twice a week in addition to the biking can keep your body surprised and your metabolism moving.

Good luck and keep it up
Old 05-13-06, 05:01 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Track your meals on a site like https://www.fitday.com then you can use that data for analysis. Losing weight comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn off. But without having any actual numerical data, you have no idea what the calorie-deficit is. It's surprizing to a lot of people that what they think is a deficit is actually not. You'll want to get to about -500 calories/day and you'll be losing 1-lb/week easily without too much work and without feeling too starved.

If you get too high of a deficit, your body's metabolism slows down into famine mode and it hangs onto weight desperately. This will also hinder your performance and fitness-improvement on the bike. You'll want to concentrate your meals before and after a ride and eat smaller portions at other times.
Old 05-13-06, 05:56 PM
corwincastle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I eat for breakfast everyday 2 or 3 sausage patties I know they arent healthiest but it is a must to keep me full of energy and the sort for the day then I eat a small salad for lunch and for dinner its whatever really but healthy food. I eat 1 plate of food filled halfway across so I use only half a plate for dinner then I ride after that for at least 30 mins to burn that off. Also about other exercises I play soccer,baseball or tackle football with friends to cover that sort. I also run everyday doing quick sprints playing with my over weight dog to help her lose some weight.

Edit: I forgot to add I drink a decent amount of skim milk everyday to keep my bones strong so I dont get injured as easy.
Old 05-15-06, 12:47 PM
Cabrales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start looking at the caloric content of what you are eating. You may be surprised. Salads sound good, but large salads with a lot of dressing can be calorie killers. Same thing for snacks. Example, one jelly bean has about 10 calories. So every time you go by that jelly bean container in the office and get a handfull, you are getting 60-100 calories. Do this 5 times a day, and you've had enough calories to substitute a 1/4 pound hamburger. You don't have to spend a whole lot of time looking at calories, but try to get a rough idea of the caloric content of what you eat throughout the day. Milk is good for you, but 8 oz = 86 calories, so if "a fair amount" is a quart a day, you are putting away about 350 calories, just on milk. Read the label to see how much you need to get your calcium for the day. Also, be careful with the breakfast patties. Check the label and see what you are getting calory wise. Interestingly enough, eggs give you quite the protein boost (probably more than sausage), but with less fat calories. More than that is probably not needed. Also, keep an eye on coffee. You could be putting away a lot of calories if you have a lot of coffee with sugar and cream. I'd suggest you try to balance your diet a little more, in terms of eating more things you like. Salads and bland mashed potatoes sounds like a good way to end up craving other things. My motto is, eat what you like, but eat a lot less of it Also, be careful with the breakfast patties. Check the label and see what you are getting calory wise.
Old 05-15-06, 01:47 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I would also look closely at your riding.

You didn't go into much detail, so it is hard to tell. But I know that depending on HOW I ride makes a big difference.

I used to ride once a week with my dad, 30 miles over relatively flat terrain at a fairly easy pace (15mph avg). After this ride I barely feel like I worked.

Then I have a route near my house. 9 miles with lots of hills (about 1200 feet of climbing over 9 miles). I push it hard on this route. After which I basically collapse on the floor.

Now I am no expert, but I would guess that I come darn near burning the same calories for both rides. Or at least I am on track to do so.

So it can come down to not just the number of hours you ride, but the intensity as well. I can feel a big difference between riding at a 14mph average pace and 17mph in the wind resistance alone.

-D
Old 05-15-06, 04:29 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, it comes down to calories/hr burnt off. You can spend 4-hours a day riding at a leisurely pace, or do it in just 1-hour in a practice-crit. Your choice, your time, your results...
Old 05-16-06, 10:25 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Nykon. I think you are likely not eating enough.

Rather than thinking about food as something to regulate, think of food as fuel for your exercise.

It would also be good to look at your nutrition during and after riding. Getting the right amount of carbs and protein will do a lot to regulate your appetite.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-17-06, 09:35 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwincastle
I am 234 5ft 9 without shoes on. I ride bike everyday its nice out for at least 2hrs on my roadbike so Im getting at least 100 miles a week. I also dont eat alot except of steak which is once every 2 weeks or so. I drink no pop and eat no candy. I also eat broccoli as a snack and occasionally I eat peanutbutter when my sugar gets low(hypoglysemia). So what Im asking is what do I need to do to get my weight down. I mean I do pretty much everything right and it does not help. Also when I must eat out I get salad or steak. I get homemade masked potatoes and eat them with nothing on them.

See a doc and have your thyroid checked. Also do you lift weight? could be good for increasing metabolism.
Velocity
Old 05-18-06, 06:26 AM
Pelon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the posters who suggest you track your calories. If you are consuming less than you are expending, you have to lose fat and/or lean body mass. If you aren't losing, you are either underestimating your calories consumed or overestimating your calories burned (or both). Tracking your eating and exercise is the only way you will discover the problem.