Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the most comfortable saddle for a big boy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 06:26 AM
Delta

Bikes: N/A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some help. Especially from the bigger riders. I have a Trek 1000 with the stock saddle. But I need something wider and softer. Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-06, 08:46 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddles are so personal, it's tough to say this one is the best, or that one is the best. I'd recommend going to the LBSs and seeing what they have, and trying some of them.
Old 05-31-06, 01:53 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
softer != better. Harder is usually more comfortable over the softer ones, especially on longer (more than a few minutes) rides. I'm a big guy (320lbs). I ride a narrow, hard saddle and it does quite well.
Old 05-31-06, 03:41 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got my new bike and it came with a "hard" narow sadle and its pretty good i think i might need to slide it forward a bit... but my SITTING bones rest were they should on that seat... oh and im fat...lol its like the 12th time i mention this here on the forums (the fatness part), no problem just FYI...
Old 05-31-06, 03:41 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just got my new bike and it came with a "hard" narow sadle and its pretty good i think i might need to slide it forward a bit... but my SITTING bones rest were they should on that seat... oh and im fat...lol its like the 12th time i mention this here on the forums (the fatness part), no problem just FYI...
Old 05-31-06, 04:33 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Brooks B17 on my Trek 1000.
Old 05-31-06, 04:33 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I now weigh 175 pounds, but just a word of wisdom, back when I weighed 225 and would crush the rails on any seat I used within 1 season, I only found one foamy spring loaded seat that was comfortable. It was made in the 80's, and I don't think I'll ever find another one like it. When it wore out, I switched to Bontrager FS2000's and I have used them ever sense.
Old 06-01-06, 07:12 PM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I had previously purchased a more narrow saddle that I got from Performance. It was thinner in the front which was nice for my things, however it still felt kind of stiff on the bum. However I recently took it to do a tune up and the guy at the LBS pointed out to me how the rails were bent. I guess my wieght is to much for those thin rails. So I had to put the stock one back on. I tried out one once on a hybrid that felt like I was sitting on a soft couch. It was really wide and even had springs. But I've never tested it on a road bike. I'm wondering if it'll be too wide. The guy sold the bike so I was never able to try it out on my Trek. So I appreciate all the advice you all offered me. I guess I'll just have to visit the LBS and see what they suggest and try out a few.
Old 06-14-06, 08:45 AM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I went ahead and ordered a Brooks B-17 yesterday. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'm very excited. I can't wait to start using it. Hopefully this will be the last saddle I have to purchase.
Old 06-14-06, 07:11 PM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem. That's exactly where I purchased it from. Luckily that place was mentioned a few times in this forum. But thanks for telling.
Old 06-14-06, 07:14 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crushing saddle rails ...

Originally Posted by Michigander
I now weigh 175 pounds, but just a word of wisdom, back when I weighed 225 and would crush the rails on any seat I used within 1 season, I only found one foamy spring loaded seat that was comfortable. It was made in the 80's, and I don't think I'll ever find another one like it. When it wore out, I switched to Bontrager FS2000's and I have used them ever sense.
I have crushed every saddle rail I've ever had. This was true when I weighed 230# (buff and slim) as well as my current 280#.

But, my current $40 Specialized saddle with hollow Chromoly rails is holding up. It probably helps that I ride on a Thudbuster. It probably also helps that I've limited myself to setting the rails EXACTLY in the center to keep the saddle from levering itself bent.

In any case, I'm big on Specialized for anything that touches your body. Their Body Geometry group does some really great work. I currently sport Specialized brand Gloves, Saddle and Shoe. The next helmet will probably be specialized as well.

So ... I suggest you go down to the Specialized dealer and have yourself "measured". Specialized is the only company that offers saddles that are specifically sized to three different widths of "sit bones". Saddles are about the most particular things on a bike. So you may have to look around. But definitely give Specialized a shot.
Old 06-14-06, 07:16 PM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if the Brooks doesn't work out I will defenitely give Specialized a chance. SInce Specialized is so darn expensive I wanted to try others first. Especially since I have a great return policy for the Brooks.
Old 06-14-06, 07:58 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Not to put you on the spot but how big are you?
Old 06-14-06, 09:46 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
240# and I use WTB Pure Sports (came standard) feels fine so far, I have a short commute though. The longest I've ever ridden it non-stop is about 15 miles, so far, so good..

SO WHAT? (metal fans should get that one)
Old 06-15-06, 09:56 AM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a B17 from Wallbike.com last week. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. I rode a Fizik Arione for 2 years and was fine with it. However this year I've doubled my daily mileage and the Arione became very uncomfortable and painful by the end of 30 and 40 mile rides.

I've ridden the B17 on 3 rides, 25, 32 and 41 last night. After 2 hours, 50 minutes and 41 miles, my butt was fine - no more pain - but now my legs are sore. Sweet. I figured out that since my butt wasn't sore, my average speed didn't decrease and my legs sore because I biked those 41 miles faster than I have done in the past.

It looks like the B17 is the answer to my pain problem and the start of being able to do very long rides and centuries.

Mark
'03 Litespeed BlueRidge - go long days
'98 Lemond Alpe D'Huez - go fast days
'01 GF Tassajara - up and down days
Old 06-15-06, 01:33 PM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
Not to put you on the spot but how big are you?
295 #'s @ 5'-9". Yeah I'm a big clydesdale.
Old 06-17-06, 10:22 AM
boscatman

Bikes: 2000 Trek 4500, 2003 Motobecane Sprintour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
275# and using a Specialized BG2 Sport, and not bad at $34.99. It is actually pretty comfy. I had planned on putting my gel cover on it but didn't have to. Be careful at LBS's, I asked about measuring and the little twit looked at me like I was a pervert!!!! I think she thought I was trying to get her to touch by butt. Just look at the saddle you can tell the wide ones from the narrow.
Old 06-17-06, 10:43 AM
Delta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my first ride this morning did not leave me disappointed. I absolutely made the right choice in going with the Brooks B-17.