Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to teach the young ones to ride.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 09:59 AM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So yesterday I was at starbucks, chillin with my girl when I saw this little wooden bike... hmmm no pedals. The seat was low to the ground so that this little boy who was riding was pushing himself along and when he got a little speed he would simply pick up his feet. That kid was zipping around and occasionally finding a little slope to ride down (under the watchful eye of dad), picking up his feet and being perfectly perfectly balanced. I stop the father to ask him about the bike and his kids experience with it. He said his son is 2 1/2 and has been using the bike for a few months and that the bike is called "like a bike". His daughter who is 5 also rode the same bike until she jumped on a regular bike without stabilizers and just took off.

As I watched this 2 1/2 yr boy zipping around, I couldn't help but think that this is the way to teach kids to get on a bike and build confidence and balance before progressing on a regular bike.

This is the website
https://www.likeabikeusa.com/
Old 06-25-06, 02:28 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read about people having good luck taking the pedals off of a bike and letting the kid use it as a pushbike. Apparently it lets them learn how to steer without having to learn to pedal at the same time.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 06-25-06, 04:00 PM
fuerein

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd like that more than the way I learned... My parents bought me a bike (realize now it was essentially a BMX bike, big enough for me at the time) and threw out the old bike with training wheels. Then one day the took me outside helped me once or twice then went back inside and told me I wasn't coming in till I could ride... no matter how many times I fell. I really hated most of that day!! Well, till the end when I finally was able to ride the sidewalk in front of our house and the houses on either side of ours.
Old 06-25-06, 05:42 PM
Katrogen
Team BYRDS

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuerein
I think I'd like that more than the way I learned... My parents bought me a bike (realize now it was essentially a BMX bike, big enough for me at the time) and threw out the old bike with training wheels. Then one day the took me outside helped me once or twice then went back inside and told me I wasn't coming in till I could ride... no matter how many times I fell. I really hated most of that day!! Well, till the end when I finally was able to ride the sidewalk in front of our house and the houses on either side of ours.
Oh my gosh, thats pretty harsh.

Thats like my parents and throwing us in the pool despite anxiety about drowning from an incident in childhood. Hah! Its quite a memorable approach to learning. But it isn't good either because it makes you hate that forced thing, so you never pursue it again. I'm bad at swimming actually.
Old 06-25-06, 08:33 PM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericgu
I've read about people having good luck taking the pedals off of a bike and letting the kid use it as a pushbike. Apparently it lets them learn how to steer without having to learn to pedal at the same time.
Yeah, I thought about this too. That wooden bike although looks cool for a 3 year old is not exactly cheap. I just think that this is such a good way to learn as opposed to the stabilizer way.
Old 06-26-06, 02:17 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Like-a-Bike is good, but is rather pricey. An alternative is to get a mini-bmx and take not only the pedals, but also the crank and the bottom bracket off so there's nothing to bang little legs on.

We use one of these, as well as 3 similar to, but much cheaper than, the Like-a-Bike at our Kids Bike Club.

They work a treat with kids of 3 to 4 until they're ready for the real thing
Old 06-26-06, 02:44 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
interesting.

My almost 3 year old sits on the back platform of his radio flyer tricycle and pushes with his feet (fred flintstone style) . He is awesome at steering. Still, he can pedal but likes to use his seat as a tray for food. *shrugs*
That's what I get for buying him something way too big.
Anyhow, he should learn to pedal as I take him on short jaunts while riding my bike.
Next I need to purchase him a small bike without the extra wheel and with training wheels.
Old 06-27-06, 08:29 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thankyou to everyone above for the info. I have been trying to work out how to build my Daughter's confidence and skills on her bike. This info will go a long way to help.
BTW this info I think is the most helpful I have read on this entire bike forum for about a year (maybe more)
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou....
Steve.
Old 06-27-06, 08:33 AM
Bizurke
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also an article in July's "Bicycling" about teaching your kids to ride. It also has some suggestions on what to help them learn as they progress all they way up until they're college aged. It's not too long but there seemed to be good pointers in there.
Old 06-27-06, 08:48 AM
Halfstep
married to the bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my boys learned to ride by learning balance first and pedaling second. We bought a proper-sized bike and found a nice grassy slope. They kept their feet off the pedals and their legs out to stop from falling over. I'd give a slight push and down the hill they went, steering crazily for several feet before tipping over and putting their foot down. After a dozen or so of these, the trip down the slope was straight and the wiggles were gone. Then, they started going down with their feet on the pedals but not pedaling. They'd learn to stick out their feet to stop from falling. Once they learned to go down the slope with their feet on the pedals, in a straight line and without falling over, they started pedaling.

My first boy had training wheels and it took three days of the slope to teach him how to ride a bike. My second boy had no training wheels and it took three hours of the slope to teach him how to ride a bike. My third boy is only nine weeks old, so I have to wait a little while before we try.
Old 06-28-06, 12:09 AM
sunofsand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see why a 3-4 year old riding a bicycle is of any importance. What are they seriously going to do on it? Going to take them along on little trips around town?
Who cares if they're 5 and still on training wheels?
Just because they can ride a bike a year or so sooner than their friends doesn't mean that they'll become some gifted cyclist later in life or have some deeper appreciation for the sport. I just don't see the point. Sounds like a lot of "cute factor" and "proud parent"
Old 06-28-06, 07:54 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's important to the parent. That's what matters.
Anyhow, I am more interested in getting my kid on a tandem or trail-a-bike. Then I can slowly build up his tolerance and have a blast. Much more fun the riding my bike and waiting for my son to catch up to me.
Old 06-28-06, 08:30 AM
crypticlineage

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8 Ultegra / 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Growing up in India, like most other kids, I learnt to ride a bike on a regular adult bike. You put your right leg through the space under top tube to reach the right side pedal and then learn pedalling and steering at the same time. We called it scissor biking. I had a tricycle when I was very little, but never had any children's bicycle to learn with. Most kids dont. I still vividly remember the day I learnt scissor biking and asked my grandpa to come out and watch me ride.
Old 06-28-06, 06:08 PM
2wheeled
Cheers!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunofsand
I don't see why a 3-4 year old riding a bicycle is of any importance. What are they seriously going to do on it? Going to take them along on little trips around town?
Who cares if they're 5 and still on training wheels?
Just because they can ride a bike a year or so sooner than their friends doesn't mean that they'll become some gifted cyclist later in life or have some deeper appreciation for the sport. I just don't see the point. Sounds like a lot of "cute factor" and "proud parent"
The point is, what is the best why for a child to learn to ride a bike and not about putting a cute bumper sticker on your car because they learned in X days at 3 years old.

I believe wobbling side to side on stabilizers is not as effective as many of the ideas in this thread.
Old 06-28-06, 11:15 PM
sunofsand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there is a "best way"
Balance can't be taught
All you can do is stick the child atop a bike and push.
If you want your kid to learn how to ride a bike put em on a bike. If you just want them to learn how to balance themselves put em on a scooter.
I think what matters is allowing the child to determine when they take something up. If they see their parent on a bike ... good chance they'll want to ride, too.
Which is more difficult
Learning to ride a bike or learning a language?
Exactly. Just promote cycling a bit in the home and the child will grasp it.
Contraptions aren't the answer. IMO