Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

VDO Computer OK on Rear Wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 03:14 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked up a VDO c3 DS Computer with a Cadence Option this weekend. Was so impressed by the price and the inclusion of a cadence option, I overlooked the fact that I was seeking a rear wheel mountable computer in order to track indoor miles this winter as well as my outdoor work. I think I assumed that a wireless computer could be mounted on either wheel. The instructions however, do not directly offer that option.

Anyone here have experience with this brand of computer? May I place it on the rear wheel? Any special considerations?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-06, 04:11 PM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see why not, especially if it's wireless. If not, then it's dependent on cable length. I'm not familiar with the model. Try it and see.
Old 08-28-06, 04:16 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
I don't see why not, especially if it's wireless. If not, then it's dependent on cable length. I'm not familiar with the model. Try it and see.
Well, some wireless computers have a very short range, which would be one reason why not. I have a Sigma wireless that just barely works on the front....forget the rear.

Nevertheless, trying it to see is probably the best way to end the mystery in your particular case.
Old 08-28-06, 04:33 PM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
Well, some wireless computers have a very short range, which would be one reason why not. I have a Sigma wireless that just barely works on the front....forget the rear.

Nevertheless, trying it to see is probably the best way to end the mystery in your particular case.
Really! I'd think if it will pick up cadence, it should pick up rear wheel too. Gotta love wires
Old 08-28-06, 04:35 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
I will probably end up giving it a try if I don't learn from posting here or asking Performance. I just wanted to be a ble to rturn it in its original packaging or excange it without using the cable ties, etc.
Old 08-28-06, 06:07 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Really! I'd think if it will pick up cadence, it should pick up rear wheel too. Gotta love wires
"pick up" (receiving) is not so much the issue as is transmitting the signal (from the speed sensor). The transmitter unit on the Sigma is very weak (perhaps explaining its low price) and as I said, barely works on the front wheel. It has indicators to show when it is getting signal or not, and if I move the computer/head more than about 18 inches away it just doesn't pick it up, with fresh batteries all around. It seems to have been designed for the bare minimum for measuring speed, assuming a front-mount for the speed transmitter and a handlebar mount of the computer.

As for trying it/returning it: first, double-check the return policy & procedure. You should be able to find out very quickly whether it's going to work or not. Just use electrician's tape or something like that for a temporary/test mount, then you don't have to worry about using the cable ties.
Old 08-28-06, 09:39 PM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For indoor use (on the trainer) mount the sensor on the rear wheel, and the computer on either the seat tube, or the top tube. It will work, you just might not be able to see it while you're riding.
Old 08-29-06, 03:28 PM
Torgrot

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CS line of the VDO computers has a transmission range of about 50 inches as I recall. That was the primary reason for me buying one. I was tired of sporadic results with most other wireless computers. They almost all only have a range of under 24".