Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ohio Cycling Law changes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ohio Cycling Law changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 06:09 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ohio Cycling Law changes

Changes governing Ohio bicyclists taking effect Sept. 21 include:

Preventing local governments from requiring cyclists to ride on sidewalks or from banning bicycles from certain streets, other than freeways.

Allowing bicyclists to ride on the left side of a lane to make a left turn, to stay out of a right-turn-only lane or to avoid potholes, road debris or stopped vehicles.

No longer requiring wheel and front reflectors.

No longer requiring cyclists to give a continuous turn signal.

Giving courts sentencing discretion, including remedial bicycle training.

Allowing cars to pass bicycles in no-passing zones under certain conditions.

More information at: www.ohiobike.org

SOURCE: The Ohio Bicycle Federation
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-30-06, 06:27 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good. Thanks, Chip!
Old 08-30-06, 07:10 AM
TCNJCyclist
Olé Olé Olé Olé T-C...N-J

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 2005 Cannondale R700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I right in assuming that "continuous turn signal" is signaling your turn while your making your turn (or something close)? Those seem like great (and pretty logical) changes.

Bike & Build
NJ Bike Map

Last edited by TCNJCyclist; 08-30-06 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 07:38 AM
jthistle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could see this one leading to problems. If you allow cars to pass bikes in no-passing zones then soon cars will pass cars in no-passing zones. Once given the ability to pass in certain no-passing zones the worst drivers amongst will do it every where. Probably many more dangerous situations will be created.
Old 08-30-06, 07:52 AM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jthistle
I could see this one leading to problems. If you allow cars to pass bikes in no-passing zones then soon cars will pass cars in no-passing zones. Once given the ability to pass in certain no-passing zones the worst drivers amongst will do it every where. Probably many more dangerous situations will be created.
Maybe true, but overall this sounds like good things for cyclists.
Old 08-30-06, 09:18 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is Ohio - they already pass cyclists and other cars in no passing zones.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-30-06, 09:18 AM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The allowing cars to pass bicycles in no-passing is a good change. Under current local law (and the model codes) it is illegal to pass in a no-passing zone, no exceptions. Doesn't matter if the lane is wide enough to share, or if the pass can be done safely without leaving the lane. As a cyclist, I want people to pass me when it is safe to do so.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
Old 08-30-06, 10:10 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations to those of you in Ohio! Sounds like very sensible changes.
Old 08-30-06, 10:16 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Wow, so you can pass stopped cars? Isn't that advocating lane splitting? I've gone around cars in a jam twice, but most of the time when the road is backed up, I just take a place in line.
Old 08-30-06, 10:41 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
Wow, so you can pass stopped cars? Isn't that advocating lane splitting? I've gone around cars in a jam twice, but most of the time when the road is backed up, I just take a place in line.
Huh?
Old 08-30-06, 12:05 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think so. It's extremely rare for a car to NOT pass me in a no-passing zone (I ride through several that are quite long, up to 1/2 mile). It's in fact so rare that they even slow down that when they do they worry me and I start wondering what they're up to, or if they're about to right-hook me or something.

Yet I don't see any but the expected occasional nut passing other cars on the double-yellow.
Old 08-30-06, 01:01 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Huh?
Do I need to remind you what day of the week it is? Have you been taking your medication?

Look the law says you can pass a stopped car. Does that mean that you can go around a whole line of cars in an evening rush?
Old 08-30-06, 01:11 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
Do I need to remind you what day of the week it is? Have you been taking your medication?

Look the law says you can pass a stopped car. Does that mean that you can go around a whole line of cars in an evening rush?
I believe, by reading the PDF on the website, that "stopped" means "stopped by the side of the road." Lane splitting is something different altogether. Before, apparently, the law did not make allowances to leave the right side of the lane for debris or parked/disabled/stopped cars.

Why the insults? You could have easily found this out by reading material from the supplied link. Are you just lazy? Or can you not read?

Okay, [/sarcasm].
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-30-06, 01:16 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I believe, by reading the PDF on the website, that "stopped" means "stopped by the side of the road." Lane splitting is something different altogether. Before, apparently, the law did not make allowances to leave the right side of the lane for debris or parked/disabled/stopped cars.

Why the insults? You could have easily found this out by reading material from the supplied link. Are you just lazy? Or can you not read?

Okay, [/sarcasm].
Ain't that cute, I think he's trying to be me.
Old 08-30-06, 05:12 PM
OH306

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't apply only to passing bicycles. It applies to passing other vehicles including bicycles and to do it lawfully you must meet all of the three criteria below:

(1) The slower vehicle is proceeding at less than half the speed of the speed limit applicable to that location.

(2) The faster vehicle is capable of overtaking and passing the slower vehicle without exceeding the speed limit.

(3) There is sufficient clear sight distance to the left of the center or center line of the roadway to meet the overtaking and passing provisions of section 4511.29 of the Revised Code, considering the speed of the slower vehicle.
Old 08-30-06, 05:30 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This should have included allowing bicycles to pass on the right.
Old 09-02-06, 05:36 AM
OH306

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
This should have included allowing bicycles to pass on the right.
Para 4511.28 addresses passing on the right.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/bike/New%...ike%20Laws.PDF
Old 09-02-06, 05:52 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Ain't that cute, I think he's trying to be me.
Ain't gonna happen. When they made you chip, they threw away the mold!

Tho' it is growing back in some places.
Old 09-02-06, 01:07 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DCCommuter
The allowing cars to pass bicycles in no-passing is a good change. Under current local law (and the model codes) it is illegal to pass in a no-passing zone, no exceptions. Doesn't matter if the lane is wide enough to share, or if the pass can be done safely without leaving the lane. As a cyclist, I want people to pass me when it is safe to do so.
I agree. It takes a lot less time (and space) for a 65 mph car to pass a 15 mph cyclist than a 60 mph car. Cars can frequently safely pass cyclists in many no-passing zones.

I'm not sure that the list of reasons to leave the right side of the road is good or bad. It all depends on how it is applied in practice. Previously, the law said, "as far right as practicable." Having a list could lead cops and courts to limit the reasons to leave the right edge to the reasons in the statute, or they might see the reasons like they are intended to be--just examples.