Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zip 303's anyone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zip 303's anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 03:09 PM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp303's anyone?

LBS I deal with said they could offer me a good price on a set of Zipp 303's left over as end of year stock. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the wheelset and what they are like to ride on. Thanks...........

Last edited by VeganRider; 10-26-06 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 03:40 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do they have dimples? If not I personally wouldn't grab them unless they are willing to sell real cheap. I would rather have the new dimpled, deeper 303's.

I rode just the front wheel of the older, non-dimpled 303 and its really nice. The rim depth is a little shallow but it still makes a difference (could be placebo effect though) Its definitely a race only wheelset. My boss actually cracked the rear rim on a training ride and thus me only riding the front. (don't worry, he cracked it because he rode it home with a flat)
Old 10-26-06, 04:03 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
I have Zipp 303's and 404's. the 303's are the older version. I wouldn't buy the older version for the reasons stated above. They're just not deep enough to offer a big aero advantage. However the newer 303's are 6 mm deeper and claimed to be signifcantly more aero.
Old 10-26-06, 04:20 PM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all the horror stories surrounding cracked rims I'd only spring for them if it had the new (used to be called the pave laminate) laminate (any wheel produced after may of this year I believe has them).
Old 10-26-06, 04:21 PM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I have Zipp 303's and 404's. the 303's are the older version. I wouldn't buy the older version for the reasons stated above. They're just not deep enough to offer a big aero advantage. However the newer 303's are 6 mm deeper and claimed to be signifcantly more aero.
I have not seen them yet, just talked on phone to him; he said they are '06. Hmm, starting to think maybe I should stick with a new set of Mavic SL's. I've had Mavic before and trust them, just wanted something different.
Old 10-26-06, 04:28 PM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you be going tubular or clincher?
Old 10-26-06, 05:57 PM
tobycat

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Moots Vamoots SL, Litespeed Classic, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the new 303s and while they are great performance wise I continue to have one big complaint: it is hard as hell to change a tire! The rims are just a little bigger (I guess) so it is a real effort to get a tire on and off the rim.

I spoke with the Zipp rep at an open house and he acknowledged the problem and told me to try Contis or Vredensteins instead of the Vittorias I've been running.
Old 10-26-06, 07:58 PM
FunkyTang
'07 Dean El Diente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the zipp flashpoints insteadas your first carbon wheel. You'll have fewer warranty claims for your 1st time around. See https://www.flash-pointracing.com/
Old 10-26-06, 08:54 PM
TomMc1

Bikes: '05 Klein Attitude V, '90 Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to start a manufacturer versus thread... would folks with HED Jet wheels comment on them (race only or race & training)? I have HED Jet 60's on my wishlist.

thanks.
Old 10-26-06, 09:41 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also, just to let you know, the retail on Zipp wheels is going up 15% this model year...

i don't use them, but when i was in the market for a pair of 303's a month or two ago, that's what the LBS in my area told me...
Old 10-27-06, 06:21 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,500 Posts
Originally Posted by VeganRider
I have not seen them yet, just talked on phone to him; he said they are '06. Hmm, starting to think maybe I should stick with a new set of Mavic SL's. I've had Mavic before and trust them, just wanted something different.
I switched from Mavic SLs to Zipp 303s on my best bike. The 303s are more aero and lighter. The 303s aren't as aero as the 404s but definately are lighter; something to consider if you do a lot of climbing.

The SLs are strong and durable but I have 3000 miles on my 303's and they still are perfectly true. Plus they look better on my bike sitting still
Old 10-27-06, 06:53 AM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you're not going tubular don't waste your money on a set of $$$$ carbon wheels. the carbon/alu combo wheels are pointless and weigh about the same as all alu aero wheels, but cost twice as much

if you are going tubular, i would hold out for 404's, depending on your terrain. deeper rims are often stronger, and of course more aero
Old 10-27-06, 06:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyTang
Get the zipp flashpoints insteadas your first carbon wheel. You'll have fewer warranty claims for your 1st time around. See https://www.flash-pointracing.com/
What makes you think you'd have fewer warranty claims on the cheaper Zipp wheel?
Old 10-27-06, 09:33 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hello VeganRider,

Don't know if this is too late to help but I have been racing on 2002 Zipp 303s since the spring of 2003. They are tubulars and I have used them in road races, criteriums (mostly), and time trials. I have had to touch up the true on them a couple of times. FWIW, I weigh about 155 lbs during the racing season.

They are the best race wheels I've ever owned.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 10-27-06, 10:08 PM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This the first wheel only purchase for me, any other time there was always a bike that came with the wheels. 800 bucks and no bike? The other two Mavic Elite sets I had were wonderful; so maybe I'm being a chicken but going to get the SL's. Not a racer, the 303's were just the other offer my LBS made to me, they look so good. Thanks ........