Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

PAC ULTIMATE OS Review

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

PAC ULTIMATE OS Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 05:07 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
PAC ULTIMATE OS Review

Oh boy, am I satisfied. This bag is beautiful, a true work of art. In the month and a half it took to wait, I was desperately looking for any review I could find just to get a slight feeling of actually knowing what those other owners were experiencing. When it was down to the final days before getting it, I was like a crack addict just craving for it to be in my hands. Well this morning I received it and was surprised the box it came in was so narrow (I dunno, I figured it would be square box shaped).

What features on it:
• X-strap
• Secret pocket (and they sure do mean it. I found it only by accident after searching a about 3 min)
• Lock Loop
• Waist-Strap

First Impressions:
• That’s it? I thought this thing would be bigger (overall size).
• Wow, what a WIDE bag.
• Hosh dang! That orange is bright ( I got the color for night time riding)
• WHAT THE…..!!!!!(as I loosened the compression straps)
DSC00934.JPG

DSC00943.JPG

DSC00939.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00948.JPG

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

DSC00961.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

DSC00956.JPG
I like to think of this bag as a popcorn kernel now because when strapped down it is small but let the straps loose and POP! This thing is BIG!!! Read on for its true nature...
Old 04-25-07, 05:19 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Part II - Features

I’m surprised that this bag can be so small and yet so huge. The compression straps are really a beautiful thing that makes this bag manageable. Of course the amount of straps on it can be very overwhelming. I think I’m going through the Amazon forest with all the dangles that come from it. I love the construction of this bag as it looks very tough as they promise. It is a bit stiff but with more use it should soften up. Pocket space is beautiful and this was my main issue with the Kremlin. Now this has all the pockets you need and more. I still don't know how to fill them but i will find a way. The mesh pockets are a nice way to organize things as well. The outer expandable pocket has a great amount of space and the lil zipper pocket is good for those lil special things. I'm a utilitarian kind of person and like to travel with alot. This is now my man purse. I really love their caption which is a pleasant thing to see in a bag.
DSC00959.JPG

DSC00964.JPG

DSC00965.JPG

DSC00967.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00969.JPG

DSC00970.JPG
Old 04-25-07, 05:34 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Part III - Capacity

Opening it to its fullest is amazing. its so big. The strap system is amazing at carrying massive weight. Even though the example is not practical for some, it shows what this bag can do. I have yet to ride to ride with a large load but I look forward to it. (Note: there is a lil water to show how waterproof it is. If it is not leaking to the outside, water will not come inside. Also there is more space for me to put things!)
DSC00972.JPG

DSC01000.JPG

DSC00976.JPG

DSC00977.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

DSC00982.JPG

DSC00990.JPG

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

DSC00999.JPG

DSC01001.JPG

DSC01017.JPG
Old 04-25-07, 05:35 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DSC01003.JPG

DSC01008.JPG

DSC01009.JPG

DSC01011.JPG
Old 04-25-07, 05:48 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Part IV - Comparison

Okay so I can only compare this bag to my Chrome Kremlin and honestly it is superior to it in every way. Space, size, looks, function, features. It seems you can serious live off this bag because there is so much space. My biggest thing again was pocket space and Chrome def lacked in that area. The shape of these two are so diff that it is immediate to know which will be the more comfy bag. I like that the main strap on the Pac is centered in the middle as opposed to having it on the ends like Chrome. This is why the suspension system is so effective because the straps can be synched tight and the bag is solidly on you as opposed to having some space that can’t be tightened when the load is large. Kremlin clocks in at 3000 cubic in and Pac is 3600. I’d say who cares about #s just fill the thing and see who holds more. The shape of the two play a huge part also in comfort. Since Pac is boxed it can fill square objects much more better then the curves of the Chrome. I modified the Chrome to have a fake x-strap and it worked pretty well for me but its only an immitator (This bag i will sell so if your interested you can PM me. I'll give you the scoop on the condition of it)
DSC01029.JPG

DSC01034.JPG

DSC01027.JPG

DSC01032.JPG

DSC01033.JPG

DSC01035.JPG

DSC01036.JPG

DSC01037.JPG

DSC01038.JPG

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01023.JPG

DSC01024.JPG
Old 04-25-07, 05:49 PM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the ultimate, and after seeing how big that was, i figured the OS must be truly gigantic. Reality does not disapoint. Is there a way to laterally compress the OS?

One issue- you might want to wrap an extra velcro strap around your pump to the strapping on the bottom of the bag. I had some problems with my pump coming loose over bumpy roads, and it sucks to backtrack a couple of miles to find out where you dropped it.
Old 04-25-07, 05:52 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Part V - Conclusion (this was a corny review so go easy on me for those who love to roast)
The bag was $400 but would have been more expensive if I didn't catch the error on her site which had a lower price. This is THE BAG and it has only been the first day. I have yet to carry a large load on bike but I can write about that later on. Now I can officially say that I have a trunk to my car now. I hope this helps anyone who may be considering a new bag. Yes, its very pricy but the features, usability, and comfort will make this worth it and probably the last bag you will ever need. It can be adjust to be both small and big so this show the versatility of it. It functions as an EVERYTHING bag becuase you can do everything with it. This bag is the serious bomb.
DSC01042.JPG

DSC01044.JPG

DSC01045.JPG

DSC01046.JPG
https://pacdesigns.com

Last edited by Gyeswho; 04-25-07 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 05:54 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbat
I've got the ultimate, and after seeing how big that was, i figured the OS must be truly gigantic. Reality does not disapoint. Is there a way to laterally compress the OS?

One issue- you might want to wrap an extra velcro strap around your pump to the strapping on the bottom of the bag. I had some problems with my pump coming loose over bumpy roads, and it sucks to backtrack a couple of miles to find out where you dropped it.
not that i could find now. this thing is like a coat cuz it wraps my whole body. yea i figured that would happen. i may try and make something to solve it or just buy the official one from Pac. this bag is amazing. how long you had yours?
Old 04-25-07, 07:13 PM
dmg
Beautiful Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was totally on board until you got to the price. Damn. That's a month's mortgage....
I guess it is probably worth it if you want a huge-ass bag that looks like it'll last for a decade... but ... damn. That thing better spin straw into gold for that price.
Old 04-25-07, 07:22 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg
I was totally on board until you got to the price. Damn. That's a month's mortgage....
I guess it is probably worth it if you want a huge-ass bag that looks like it'll last for a decade... but ... damn. That thing better spin straw into gold for that price.
i added extras for it to come that high:
x-strap (a must imo) - $25
secret pocket - $30
lock loop - $20
waist strap - $25

so base price is $345 (* #s are off because on her site there are 2 prices; 1=$345 2=#310. I told her about the error and she gave me the discount). still very high i know, but in the long run it pays off, i think so

* lol yea but consider this. if you had a car(im assuming you don't) your car insurance and gas would pay for the bag in 1 month. so this is an investment.
Old 04-25-07, 08:05 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too much for what it is sorry to sa it but there are other bag makers out there that will make the same thing for alot cheaper
Old 04-25-07, 08:09 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
too much for what it is sorry to sa it but there are other bag makers out there that will make the same thing for alot cheaper
you are very right. i went for it cuz of the history they and loved the look of it as a whole. Seagull, Chicago Wig, and Zugster are also really good looking bags.
Old 04-25-07, 08:16 PM
DannyRocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very comprehensive review.
Old 04-25-07, 10:26 PM
EZbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait, your zullo was initially cheaper than the bag?
i guess they kinda even eachother out...
i'm lovin' the zullo!
Old 04-25-07, 11:40 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks
Old 04-25-07, 11:55 PM
drewcifer
la rapet

Bikes: 80s specialized expedition, soma rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats a ridiculous price
Old 04-26-07, 10:52 AM
mrbertfixy
WTF?

Bikes: trek cross, gt mtb, khs track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you get what you pay for. the difference between PAC and most bags is PAC uses three layers of material throughout the bag. the liner between your stuff and the truck tarp makes the bag last a lot longer.

if you were to ask for a quote from any bag maker for similar size and options it would probaby be at or more than PAC is charging. and PAC has been making these bags long enough to know what they are doing. and in spite of the complexity of all the straps it is easy to use and makes for a much more comfortable, versatile bag.

while some things in the bike industry have high prices for other reasons (exchange rates: rapha; rarity: njs) the high price of PAC bags is because of the quality of construction, and the time and thought that is put into the diesgn.

the reason for this diatribe is i don't think people should act like someone is a fool for paying that much for a PAC.
Old 04-26-07, 10:57 AM
Bikkhu
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Fjällräven Kånken backpack even more
Old 04-26-07, 11:09 AM
seagull_bags
Lets do this

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review. In Ireland, i met a guy from New York that had just recieved his ultimate from PAC. Unfortunately, something happening and there was a huge rip in the top of the bag that went through all three layers It was hard to even look at. It made me feel so sick. But, it was still a nice bag.
Old 04-26-07, 11:09 AM
fix
yeahh, becky

Bikes: 1990 Kotter Albuch, 2005 Empella Spaar Select Cross, 2007 Ridley Aedon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great review. Impressive.
Old 04-26-07, 11:10 AM
ryanday
The Cat's Meow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seagull_bags
Nice review. In Ireland, i met a guy from New York that had just recieved his ultimate from PAC. Unfortunately, something happening and there was a huge rip in the top of the bag that went through all three layers It was hard to even look at. It made me feel so sick. But, it was still a nice bag.
Wow, when you thought shipping processes couldn't get any worse...
Old 04-26-07, 11:11 AM
kyle!
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hosh Dang!!!! hahah
Old 04-26-07, 12:05 PM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks nice, but holy damn the price..
Old 04-26-07, 12:15 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbertfixy
you get what you pay for. the difference between PAC and most bags is PAC uses three layers of material throughout the bag. the liner between your stuff and the truck tarp makes the bag last a lot longer.

if you were to ask for a quote from any bag maker for similar size and options it would probaby be at or more than PAC is charging. and PAC has been making these bags long enough to know what they are doing. and in spite of the complexity of all the straps it is easy to use and makes for a much more comfortable, versatile bag.

while some things in the bike industry have high prices for other reasons (exchange rates: rapha; rarity: njs) the high price of PAC bags is because of the quality of construction, and the time and thought that is put into the diesgn.

the reason for this diatribe is i don't think people should act like someone is a fool for paying that much for a PAC.
yea. the comfort and range of adjustability is amazing. i recommend getting the waist strap too as i just used it today and now the bag feels like it doubles as a bookbag. comfort is something that really is included in the price. its better to pay an obscene amount now and have long time comfort instead of paying alot less and have discomfort later. if you want 5 things that is very important in a bag, im sure comfort will be in the top 3 guaranteed.

durability is another thing that prob will be in the top 3. i personally vote comfort, then durableness (if that's a word), followed by features. the straps are confusing at first but later the hang of it will come. (similar to the learning curve of riding fixed)

*price is very steep, i will admit, but think and see what you get for it. its alota $ for alot to get back. i think its worth all the $ but this is just me. if a bag last 5-10yrs STRONG then $400 is not alota in the long run especially when you have gas prices that equal that in a month or two.
Old 04-26-07, 05:57 PM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Meet Diane. She is 5'9 and can fit in my bag. Have fun.
DSC01079.JPG

DSC01078.JPG

DSC01076.JPG

DSC01077.JPG

DSC01073.JPG

DSC01074.JPG

DSC01075.JPG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.