Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Scared my wife

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Scared my wife

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 08:30 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scared my wife

Riding to work this morning I didn't realise that my wife (who was taking our son to visit friends) was going the same route as me.

Anyway, as I was pushing along at about 18mph my right pannier fell off. The truck that was behind me swerved and braked so as not to squish my pannier, he then drove over it so it went between his wheels (very considerate I thought). The next car stopped to pick up my pannier then passed it to me as he drove past me (I'd turned around at that point). The next car had my wife in it, looking pretty pale. I smiled and waved.

It wasn't until a bit later when I caught her up at the queue for the lights that I realised why she looked pale.

What she had seen was me infront of a truck, then the truck brake and swerve, then my pannier come out from under the truck. She assumed the worst.

The important thing being that even with stopping to pick up my pannier, I was still quicker than her over the 5 mile journey from our house to the motorway. And I've got a cold. I think this commuting is turning me into some sort of invincible super human. I'd better look out for a nice cape.
Old 06-19-07, 09:04 AM
1ply
Plays in Traffic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve2k
I'd better look out for a nice cape.
Caution - Capes may hinder the progress of rear wheel

Translation - they can get caught in the spokes causing you to go boom (not good)

Old 06-19-07, 09:34 AM
BIG-E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ply
Caution - Capes may hinder the progress of rear wheel

Translation - they can get caught in the spokes causing you to go boom (not good)

Not if you keep moving
Old 06-19-07, 09:41 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BIG-E
Not if you keep moving
Yea but you gotta stop sometime at red lights and what not ...
Old 06-19-07, 09:45 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice of the trucker to dodge - makes me feel good to know others care/think in that way. Glad you are OK

As for the cape, well, I'm sure there's a way to avoid entanglement, but more importantly... what colour? And would it have a HHCMF logo, or perhaps a chipcom portrait on?
Old 06-19-07, 11:44 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It wasn't until a bit later when I caught her up at the queue for the lights that I realised why she looked pale.

What she had seen was me infront of a truck, then the truck brake and swerve, then my pannier come out from under the truck. She assumed the worst.

I think this commuting is turning me into some sort of invincible super human. I'd better look out for a nice cape.
I think you owe your wife a romantic meal for scaring her that way. Every time you go to ride now, she is going to have that in her head. She needs a little first aid.
Old 06-19-07, 11:50 AM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I think you owe your wife a romantic meal for scaring her that way. Every time you go to ride now, she is going to have that in her head. She needs a little first aid.
+1
Old 06-19-07, 12:13 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'd better look out for a nice cape.
NO CAPES!

Old 06-19-07, 12:15 PM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a cape go with something only about waist length. It is very hard to keep your superhero cool when your cape gets caught in the rear wheel and knocks you down!!
Old 06-19-07, 01:19 PM
Highcyclist

Bikes: '07 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of pannier you're using, but my Arkel Commuter has not come off the bike while moving yet, and I don't expect it ever will.
Old 06-19-07, 01:22 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The important thing being that even with stopping to pick up my pannier, I was still quicker than her over the 5 mile journey from our house to the motorway. And I've got a cold. I think this commuting is turning me into some sort of invincible super human. I'd better look out for a nice cape.
A while back, while locking my bike to a meter in the Boston area at about 6:00PM there was a young boy admiring my very freddish bike (racks, panniers, fenders, lights, etc.) He asked if it was fast. I told him that in this town, it is faster than any sports car. He was suitably impressed.
Old 06-19-07, 01:30 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy
NO CAPES!

Haven't seen that movie in about three years, but I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Old 06-19-07, 02:10 PM
DrCycleMrDrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highcyclist
I'm not sure what kind of pannier you're using, but my Arkel Commuter has not come off the bike while moving yet, and I don't expect it ever will.
Hopefully you are still allowed to ride your bike.

Do you mind me asking what kind of pannier and why you think it came off?
bounced off hooks? something break? hooks short? bungee weak or worn? ???
Old 06-19-07, 02:35 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have panniers with a pair of simple, flat metal hooks at the top of each one, and a bungy running down the back with a hook that attaches to the bottom of the rack.

The problem I was having was I didn't know these things were apparently designed to be randomly self detaching. Especially if loaded light.

So what I did was to cut a rubber band for each hook from an old innertube. Put the rubber band over the hook, attach the hook to the rack, pull the rubber band up and around the rack frame, then back over the hook.

It's kind of a wee bit of a hassle, but I haven't had a pannier even try to bounce off since doing this.

The main reason I decided on rubber bands to secure these hooks over Zip-Ties was that that the rubber bands can be reused, until they break and then it's a simple matter to just cut off a couple more.
Old 06-19-07, 03:23 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a great post. This reminds me of the time I got "caught" blowing a very late yellow light at about 30 mph by my wife who happened to be at the intersection waiting to turn left into my lane. That did not go unnoticed.
Old 06-21-07, 06:10 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My panniers are Altura ones (the only ones my LBS stocked).
The have 3 plastic hooks, the first 2 slip over the top of the rack, the third slips around the front of the rack to hold it in place. There's a little velcro look that is supposed to hold them secure.

I think they just bounce off because the velcro thing is pretty loose and doesn't stop the panniers bouncing up. Maybe I should do something about that.

Picture of bike with panniers: https://www.picklay.com/wp-content/up...CN1395-350.jpg
Old 06-21-07, 07:27 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aadhils
Yea but you gotta stop sometime at red lights and what not ...

LOL , no you don't ! LOL
Old 06-21-07, 08:05 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My panniers are Altura ones (the only ones my LBS stocked).
The have 3 plastic hooks, the first 2 slip over the top of the rack, the third slips around the front of the rack to hold it in place. There's a little velcro look that is supposed to hold them secure.

I think they just bounce off because the velcro thing is pretty loose and doesn't stop the panniers bouncing up. Maybe I should do something about that.

Picture of bike with panniers: https://www.picklay.com/wp-content/up...CN1395-350.jpg
This is the perfect opportunity to ask your wife's permission to buy new panniers!
Old 06-21-07, 10:21 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this commuting is turning me into some sort of invincible super human. I'd better look out for a nice cape.
My thoughts exactly, except for the cape bit (Has it really been that long since that movie came out?!). If I'm sick and commute I feel better. It's like a universal cure-all.