Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

No Hands King

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

No Hands King

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:46 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No Hands King

This clip is from an article in the News and Observer last Sunday. This guy wants to do a 3,000 mile wheelie across the U.S.A. with no handlebars and he's looking for a sponsor with $5,000. He has a checkered past, but has improved his record and his lifestyle significantly since becoming involved with bicycles. It appears he might as well be riding a unicycle although I suppose it wouldn't be a wheelie then.

https://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyl...ry/610575.html

Last edited by Lurch; 06-26-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 08:55 AM
hockeyteeth

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's insane.
Old 06-26-07, 09:06 AM
crue0001

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Surly Moonlander, 1980's Fuji [vandalized :(], 1990's custom Specialized Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like a pretty cool accomplishment. But I doubt this guy has ever really biked anywhere except on flat pavement in the city. Good luck biking accross steep hills and fast drops doing a wheelie. This guy just might die. You notice he doesn't even have handlebars on his bike? Pretty scary if he perchance needed to use them. Dang yo.
Old 06-26-07, 06:00 PM
Blais
Bruise collector

Bikes: Gary Fisher Mullet, Centurian Le Mans, a stripped Schwin, some random frames and parts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admire his enthusiasm but I doubt he'll get across a single state, let alone the entire country. I'd bet my Gary Fisher that he doesn't make it all the way without hurting himself or giving up.
Old 06-28-07, 05:37 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His front wheel is only a couple inches off the ground on with no hill, so his center of gravity on that bike is way to the rear.

If he tries to climb mountains, I don't know whether any amount of leaning forward will keep him from falling over backwards, especially if he means to keep the front wheel from touching the ground.

Also, it's singlespeed bike where you can't stand off the seat because there are no handlebars (although you're near a standing-over-the-pedals position to begin with). Yet another reason I would wonder how he would make it up mountains.

Of course, railroads cross mountains mainly by using roundabout or switchback routes that don't require any steep grades. Is there a rails-to-trails route across the rockies?
Old 06-28-07, 09:43 PM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cerewa
His front wheel is only a couple inches off the ground on with no hill, so his center of gravity on that bike is way to the rear.

If he tries to climb mountains, I don't know whether any amount of leaning forward will keep him from falling over backwards, especially if he means to keep the front wheel from touching the ground.

Also, it's singlespeed bike where you can't stand off the seat because there are no handlebars (although you're near a standing-over-the-pedals position to begin with). Yet another reason I would wonder how he would make it up mountains.

Of course, railroads cross mountains mainly by using roundabout or switchback routes that don't require any steep grades. Is there a rails-to-trails route across the rockies?
Well he'd probably swith to a different bike to go cross-country, maybe take off the front fork all together and add a three-speed hub.
Old 07-03-07, 06:53 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hooo-Ahh!!!
Old 07-06-07, 04:51 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 76 Posts
I remember a shipmate of mine, while stationed at a Naval Air Base, he had taken the handlebars off his bike and replaced them with a shift lever (old friction type).
I asked him if he thought it might be a safety hazard, but he said "That's all you need to steer the bike."
And he said that he'd been riding the bicycle like that for fifteen years and never had an accident.
Old 07-11-07, 10:12 PM
AlucardZero

Bikes: Trek 4500, Mongoose MGX DXR(LOL)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't understand him...
Old 07-12-07, 11:55 PM
cnickgo
Argyle Army Foot Soldier

Bikes: Fort Gestus, 79 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 81 Raleigh Supercourse, Mosh Lux 2* Gold, IRO Rob Roy on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive by his house, and often him everyday on my way to work. He seems extremely stable on the sidewalk/street where he rides everyday, but people are right I doubt he has trained on inclines and other terrains.
Old 07-18-07, 04:01 PM
CaptMatt15
Double Secret Member

Bikes: 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin, 2007 Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i've seen this guy a bunch too, on my way across the south part of Raleigh... Over the past couple years he's added some ballast to his bike and a big American flag to the back
Old 07-21-07, 02:36 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait until he encounters a 30+ mile climb in the Rocky Mountains on his way across the country. Or a high-speed descent around sharp curves at 50 m.p.h. Good luck with that.