Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much of a difference does a new wheelset make?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 10:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

Today I upgraded my wheelset and got Mavic Open Pros/Ultegras with Michelin Tires (forget the model).

Prior to that I spent over a year on Alex DA55 wheels, and by the time I got rid of them, the front wheel was 'creaking'. My new wheelset is not any lighter, but it is built better and I really wanted a bulletproof wheelset.

Anywhos, I took the new set on its maiden voyage and broke my pr for my daily ride. Does a wheelset increase performance (ignoring weight issues)?
Old 08-01-07, 10:38 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Today I upgraded my wheelset and got Mavic Open Pros/Ultegras with Michelin Tires (forget the model).

Prior to that I spent over a year on Alex DA55 wheels, and by the time I got rid of them, the front wheel was 'creaking'. My new wheelset is not any lighter, but it is built better and I really wanted a bulletproof wheelset.

Anywhos, I took the new set on its maiden voyage and broke my pr for my daily ride. Does a wheelset increase performance (ignoring weight issues)?
Having gone from a set of cheap Alex wheels a couple years ago to a pair of lighter, more durable wheels I'd say that they definitely increased my confidence which was well worth the money I spent on the wheels. I had nothing but trouble from day one with my Alex wheels. I'd recommend your new wheelset over them any day.
Old 08-01-07, 10:46 PM
TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, now go buy a $1500 set and you'll be riding in the Tour next year.
Old 08-02-07, 12:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 708 Posts
It's all in your head, but whatever makes you ride faster is good.
Old 08-02-07, 03:54 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
The heavier you are and the cheaper the wheelset is, the more likely you'll have problems. It also helps that you can check/retension and true the wheel before it hits the road (in case of machine built ones).
Old 08-02-07, 03:56 AM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Numbers don't lie. Whether it's an increase in wheel lightness/stiffness/aerodynamics or merely a placebo effect, if your average times over your training rides have decreased, then the wheels have made you faster.

Old 08-02-07, 08:18 AM
orcanova

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you were going to upgrade one thing on your bike, wheels make the biggest difference. A few years back I upgraded from my training wheels, which were standard 32 spoke aluminum Campy rims with Mavic hubs, to a Campy Eurus wheelset, and I immediately found myself pushing one harder gear on a specific course, not to mention the Eurus, being much more aero, were completely silent.
Old 08-02-07, 08:44 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you see an increase in performance due to wheelsets, it's usually the result of going from a non-aerodynamic set (i.e. Open Pros) to a deep-dish aerodynamic set (i.e. Zipps).

I imagine the difference between the Alex's and the Open Pros will be negligible at best, but now you have a set of bombproof, reliable wheels, so that's really the big advantage of your upgrade.
Old 08-02-07, 10:22 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New, higher quality hubs are responsible for a large amount of the difference. I recently upgraded from a stock set-up (similar to yours) to a pair of Mavic Cosmos. They aren't much lighter, but feel very smooth and roll really nicely.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-02-07, 11:03 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bike schwag always makes you faster. Even a new saddle or handle bar .. EVEN if they are the same brand/model and just new(er).

3rd law of buying speed on a bike.
Old 08-02-07, 12:05 PM
Adagio Corse
Accuracy is Speed

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 928 C2C w/ Ultegra compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp claims that aerodynamic improvements in the rim can reduce your time by several seconds... if you're riding 40 kilometers. However, that's not to say that smoother rolling hubs and placebo can't take away a few more seconds, right?
Old 08-02-07, 01:03 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most wheels do a decent job at the speeds most of us ride. "High Tech" wheels can provide a few seconds advantage in a time trial at speeds of 30 mph or 35 mph. In the TdF last week, a guy in the time trial had one of those "ultra-light/ultra-aero" wheels come apart. Five minutes later, a second one came apart.

Unless you have a team car riding behind you with a spare wheel or a spare bike, you need a wheel that will get you where you are going. And, there is no wheelset more reliable than the one you selected.
Old 08-02-07, 02:17 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
When I upgraded my old Davidson steel bike's wheels from old-style 36h campy hub/mavic rim to Velomax Tempests I saw an immediate boost in speed. The new wheels were much lighter, were a lot more aero, and were a lot more solid as the old ones were, well, old and getting rickety.

These were my first (almost) new wheels in 20 years. They were silent and it felt like I was riding on air.

Which factor increased my speed? Who knows and who cares, I know I increased my standard loop by 1mph first time I rode them. And, more telling, when I rode the old wheels again they felt like lead and I couldn't get them moving.

My current wheels on my current bike are actually a downgrade from the Tempests and I keep looking to get new, but can't seem to find the $$$ in the budget for them. (Shimano tempests, Campy bike, oh well, and NO it doesn't work well enough to do it long term.)
Old 08-02-07, 02:31 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty sure that was a Mavic solid rear that came apart during the tour TT. Unless it was a rebadged Alex. Not that has to do with anything.
Old 08-02-07, 02:54 PM
LostBoizdown
The Traveller

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced the wheels on my n-year-old Allez, from Mavic something-or-others (pretty sure it was open pros, whatever was stock when the previous owner bought the bike new) to the Ksyrium Equipe wheelset, and I noticed a 4 km/hr increase in my average and max sustainable speed.

But the best part of the new wheels was how much smoother the ride felt; they really eat up the road a lot better than the old ones did.
Old 08-02-07, 04:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The main reason I think they may be faster is because maybe the Alex wheels have some bend/flex to them and may create rolling resistance, and the new set which does not have that would have better power transitions from the wheel to the road.
Old 08-02-07, 04:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The Ultegras are probably better hubs too.
Old 08-02-07, 04:37 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the Michelin tires have really low rolling resistance. I'd expect a greater improvement from the tires than the wheels, because your new wheels aren't any lighter or more aero than the old ones.