Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Monster Flashing Front Light for less than $100

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 07:06 AM
diesel_dad

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been experimenting with the TwoFish Lockblocks to mount a flashlight on my handlebars. The Lockblocks look like this:

Haven't been too excited about the possibilities until yesterday. I have a bright LED flashlight with a strobe mode called the Huntlight FT-01XSE, which looks like:

The Huntlight has a review here: https://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ht_ft01xse.htm

The Huntlight has several attributes that make it a real winner here:
  1. Uses CREE XR-E LED, so it's really bright.
  2. Uses 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, so it will run about 4 hours on a charge.
  3. It has a really intense strobe mode that you can't miss.
  4. The shape is thinner in the middle than than the ends, so it's really secure in the Lockblocks mount.

I think it works better than the Fenix for this application since due to the 18650 battery and the shape.

I used them together yesterday for a 50 km ride on my road bike and I also used it for a commute last week. A motorist pulled me over to tell me how much he liked the light, since he could see me 1km away. Not bad.

I would not use the flash mode at night, since it would be overwhelming.
Old 09-04-07, 04:39 PM
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the same with my Fenix L2D-CE on a lockblock.
Old 09-04-07, 04:45 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got 2 fenix P3D 100 Rebels, one for helmet, one for bars.
Old 09-04-07, 06:01 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where do you get those lockblocks?
Old 09-04-07, 08:38 PM
diesel_dad

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cheapest place I have seen to buy Lockblocks is www.fenix-store.com

They sell the right angle and parallel Lockblocks and also offer 3 packs.

One tip -- mount the light under the handlebars and it will stay put a lot better.

I do have Fenix P1D-CE with a Leef body that converts it over to a tail clickie. I have tried it with the mount and it would work fine. In fact, I also tried the P1D-CE mounted on the fork. IMHO, the Fenix does not work out as well because it cannot use the larger 17670 or 18650 rechargeable batteries and due to the shape, which would make it easy to lose since there is no "knob" on the ends.

I have two other cheaper lights (yes, I know, lots of lights) called the Jetbeam C-LE and the Rexlight 2.0 that each use Cree XR-E LEDs, one AA battery and have flashing modes. I think that I paid about $30 for each one, but once again they have a cylinder shape. Perhaps I could attach a wrist lanyard and thread through the Lockblock as a safety leash.

Overall through, great concept -- especially in addition to purpose-built lights like my Princeton Tec Switchback 3 or on bikes that not ridden at night that often.

I was also very happy with the prospect of extra day time visibility.
Old 09-04-07, 10:43 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mini mag lights make pretty good headlights (though they don't flash).

....If you're unconcerned with weight, that is.
Old 09-05-07, 08:53 PM
diesel_dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
mini mag lights make pretty good headlights (though they don't flash).

....If you're unconcerned with weight, that is.
I have Mag 2d, 3d and Mini-Mags. Not that bright. Big. Don't flash. Unless you are desperate, keep lookin'.
Old 09-05-07, 09:32 PM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The specs on that light are impressive, but I'd avoid it because it uses Li-Ion batteries. Some Li-Ion batteries lose 20% of their capacity per year, whether you use them or not (see this entry in Wikipedia). The capacity loss begins from the time the battery was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. I'm try to stick to NIMH powered devices for now until Li-Ion technology matures and the aging problem is at least reduced.
Old 09-06-07, 04:49 AM
diesel_dad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
The specs on that light are impressive, but I'd avoid it because it uses Li-Ion batteries. Some Li-Ion batteries lose 20% of their capacity per year, whether you use them or not (see this entry in Wikipedia). The capacity loss begins from the time the battery was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. I'm try to stick to NIMH powered devices for now until Li-Ion technology matures and the aging problem is at least reduced.
I've had these Li-Ion batteries for a year already with no loss of power. The batteries cost $10 each and are used to make laptop computer batteries by hooking 4 to 9 together. But be sure you buy protected batteries because over discharge of unprotected batteries can have unpleasant consequences.