Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stiker Kit (stokid) question

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 10:04 AM
veloellen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took our 57/47 (or close...I don't recall exactly) Trek tandem to the bike shop to get stoker kit installed. We bought it used a few weeks ago. What have you all used for shims? Obviously not all tubes are the same size and we need another shim to beef up the tube a bit. Also, has anyone had problems with the cranks coming in contact with the front derailleur - how did you remedy. There really isn't a tandem shop near us but we certainly took it to a high end shop to install - I just don't think they do a lot of these set-ups.
Thanks
Ellen

Last edited by veloellen; 11-09-07 at 10:04 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-09-07, 10:33 AM
ftsoft

Bikes: Bianchi xl boron, Trek WSD, Comotion Speedster, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could help. Our stoker kit was on a much bigger rear (55) and fairly small tubes. We used the Burley stoker kit and it seemed as though there were a lot of options for different size tubes. Good luck. It was a nice experience riding with the kids at that age.

Frank
Old 11-09-07, 10:38 AM
Tandemranch

Bikes: Santana Quint & tandem/Kestrel/Trek/Specialized/Giant/Fisher tandem/Hercules Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Child stoker kits

Child stoker kits are also different sizes. We have had several over the years (on Comotions, Santanas, Treks, KHS, etc). I would suggest you talk to Mark at Precision Tandems (www.precisiontandems.com) or Mel at TandemsEast (www.tandemeast.com). Tell them what you have and they can outfit you with the proper set up, including shims. Your cranks should not hit any derailer, although it may be close.
Old 11-09-07, 10:54 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of variables here but I once use flat aluminum stock for shimming depends on the difference needed. Being that its a short stoker 47 a stoker kit may not be the best option if you can lower the seat as far as it will go crank shortener's may be the way to go if reach is with in range for the stoker its needed for.

Last edited by JTGraphics; 11-09-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 12:34 PM
SDS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have the sort of child stoker kit with which I am familiar, they come in (clamp) sizes appropriate to fit specific seat tube diameters. If yours isn't a perfect fit for your seat tube, it is a pretty good bet that you have the wrong child stoker kit. Perhaps you have a steel Trek, and the stoker kit was intended to fit a larger-diameter aluminum seat tube. You should be able to notice that the diameters of the inside of the clamp and the outside of the seat tube are not a perfect match.

I suspect the best solution to the child stoker kit cranks contacting the FD will be to lengthen the chain between the child stoker kit chainring, and the child stoker kit timing ring on the left side of the rear bottom bracket. Then you can run the child stoker kit up the stoker seat tube, run the saddle up, and the problem will be solved.

Twice I have seen short cranks on the back of a tandem, and some sort of wood block arrangement used to get the pedal circle up high enough so that a child can reach from the saddle on top of a regular tandem seat tube. That might be an intermediate solution as the child grows.
Old 11-11-07, 12:43 PM
simsi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've just checked and our tandem is 20" front and 16" rear, which is about 51 x 41 cm. I bought the child stoker kit from Precision Tandems, that included a polypropylene (or similar) shim for the seat tube. I've had no problems with hitting the front derallieur when setting it up for our 4 year old.

Ian
Old 11-11-07, 07:37 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the finished bike. This picture was taken this evening at Lake Montebello in Baltimore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tandem.jpg (21.3 KB, 47 views)