Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

finals are LAME

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

finals are LAME

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 03:57 PM
smitty22

Bikes: Ridley Oval Giant TCX Fuji Roubaix RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finals are LAME

finals really piss me off. i've been typing paper after paper and have not touched my bike, which sits sadly unused in my room about 5 feet from me. I have a class on the arab israeli conflict that has been a particular drain as well as a u.s. geography class. i'm a social science major, pretty boring.

anyways, are there any other students out there missing out on riding time because of finals? is anyone as pissed off as i am at these nonsense papers? there's gotta be more. please tell all.
matt
Old 12-13-07, 03:59 PM
Youngin
ub3r n00b

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Trek 6000SS, Zebrakanko FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mee... have to write one right now...
Old 12-13-07, 04:01 PM
smitty22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats your topic?

i just finished a 12 pager for a california history class about an image of california. i picked the californian language. pretty tough paper but a lot of fun to analyze so i ended up enjoying writing it a little bit. it seems like anything over 10 pages to me is mind numbing though.
Old 12-13-07, 04:01 PM
balsingh
Student

Bikes: Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way. I'm not missing out on riding at all because I'd much rather be studying or sitting in some lecture hall filling in bubbles for hours on end. And plus, I'm in San Diego too, the weather's not really nice.
Old 12-13-07, 04:02 PM
Bike enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, here too - well, used to be pissed! I just got done with my last Final at UW (Go DAWGS.....)!!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!! BOOO YAAAA!!!!! Who let the dawgs out!? Man I'm happy.... I haven't touched my bike in about three weeks though....

Well, just a couple more days of research and I'm FREE!
Old 12-13-07, 04:02 PM
Quijibo187
Custom User Title

Bikes: 2006 Marin Stelvio, 1990s Steve Bauer, Marin Palisades Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
missing riding time? only on the trainer. I can however touch my bike from where I am at the computer.

8:00 tonight I'll be done though Wohoo!
Old 12-13-07, 04:03 PM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty22
finals really piss me off. i've been typing paper after paper and have not touched my bike, which sits sadly unused in my room about 5 feet from me. I have a class on the arab israeli conflict that has been a particular drain as well as a u.s. geography class. i'm a social science major, pretty boring.

anyways, are there any other students out there missing out on riding time because of finals? is anyone as pissed off as i am at these nonsense papers? there's gotta be more. please tell all.
matt
You're a whiny little s**t. You're "pissed off" because you are fortunate enough to go to college, and because your professors expect you to actually do some work in order to earn a degree?

And while I have no idea why you would pursue a major that you find "pretty boring," here's an idea: find a new major. That's not hard to figure out.
Old 12-13-07, 04:06 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! I'm sitting in a classroom giving a final to my students right now. Can't tell you if they're pissed or not.

By the time I'm done grading them I'll have lost more riding time than I would taking them....
Old 12-13-07, 04:07 PM
Bike enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh... So that's what TAs do while we're taking tests........ Jeez I hate you.....
Old 12-13-07, 04:10 PM
smitty22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, coyote, shut the hell up. finals are frustrating to me. and guess what, i didn't say i thought my major was boring, most people think my major is boring and thus don't want to hear about my class, so i made a "pretty boring" comment as i'm not trying to make my major sound so cool. thats all

and don't even bring that "fortunate" enough to go to college argument in here. you don't know how hard i worked in high school to get an academic scholarship. fortunate is the wrong word.

finding a new major is also rediculous. it adds more time and money that said scholarship will not cover. i'm studying to be a teacher right now but i'm looking at taking an internship with the fbi at hawaii pacific when i'm a grad student

seriously, not cool man. not cool. i was trying to create a sweet little thread for college students and you brought it down with your damn negativity.
" i'm an idea man, i thrive on enthusiasm. dont' take the wind out of my sails." -wedding crashers

Last edited by smitty22; 12-13-07 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-07, 04:16 PM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm "negative"? You're the person complaining -- about finals and about your major. (I think that writing "i'm a social science major, pretty boring" is a pretty unequivocal statement, regardless of the revisionism in your second post.)

By the way, I support your ambition to eschew teaching and go into the FBI. I'd guess that FBI staffers are not held to high grammatical standards.
Old 12-13-07, 04:18 PM
Zyler

Bikes: Serotta CdA, Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
You're a whiny little s**t. You're "pissed off" because you are fortunate enough to go to college, and because your professors expect you to actually do some work in order to earn a degree?

And while I have no idea why you would pursue a major that you find "pretty boring," here's an idea: find a new major. That's not hard to figure out.
I'm with you Coyote.. Here's my spin.

I am so pissed off. I have a 60 hour a week job, mortgage, kid in college and two others to support. I am worrying about my retirement and a car that might crap out on me. I haven't been able to ride outside for over a week. Wa wa wa!

Same tune, different lyrics. Any you are fortunate! I worked hard in HS and College and Graduate school and was still fortunate. God gave me the ability to study and comprehend. I live in a country with opportunities. One of my "students" took his exams while being bombed in Lebanon....how fortunate. My parents supported me emotionally, but couldn't financially. I was fortunate and so are you.

Now.....finals suck.....suck it up, get the paper done and then take a much needed rest and ride..... oh yeah, where is my 2 week Christmas break?
Old 12-13-07, 04:24 PM
smitty22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hold myself to high grammatical standards when i have to. bike forums will never, ever be a place where i choose to type and spell and punctuate correctly, the fingers start moving and thats it. get over it.

and yes, you are negative.

but by all means, please post another response using correct grammar, i'd especially like it if you could use eschew again in a different sentence. that would really put me in my place as a whiny college student who cannot hold himself to high grammatical standards.

and just to clarify, i do infact like my major, i just don't think its interesting to many people. hence boring. sorry if you can't wrap your mind around that. did i just make yet another unequivocal statement?
Old 12-13-07, 04:27 PM
smitty22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyler
I'm with you Coyote.. Here's my spin.

Now.....finals suck.....suck it up, get the paper done and then take a much needed rest and ride..... oh yeah, where is my 2 week Christmas break?
CSU schools give about a whole month off. its actually pretty rediculous so i'm looking forward to getting out on a lot of group rides that are going to whip me into shape.
Old 12-13-07, 04:28 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
CSU Northridge here!

Just finished finals, gonna chill down and smoke a little.
Old 12-13-07, 04:28 PM
Coyote2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i hold myself to high grammatical standards when i have to. bike forums will never, ever be a place where i choose to type and spell and punctuate correctly, the fingers start moving and thats it. get over it.

but by all means, please post another response using correct grammar, i'd especially like it if you could use eschew again in a different sentence. that would really put me in my place as a whiny college student who cannot hold himself to high grammatical standards.

and just to clarify, i do infact like my major, i just don't think its interesting to many people. hence boring. sorry if you can't wrap your mind around that. did i just make yet another unequivocal statement?
That is an unequivocal statement, but it directly contradicts the statement about your major in your first post. I guess your reasoning abilities are about as strong as your grammatical skills.

As someone pointed about a few posts earlier, you will be in for a big reality check when you actually get a full-time career job. You may not realize it, but you probably have more freedom and autonomy now than you will ever again, at least until retirement. And still you complain.
Old 12-13-07, 04:33 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyways, are there any other students out there missing out on riding time because of finals?
Just a little bit. Rode all this week while I was studying, but next week during finals I'll probably do about 7hrs riding instead of 10 or more. I'll have to rearrange the schedule a little bit, just that's just how life is I guess - don't find time to ride, make time to ride.

I couldn't ride at all the weekend before last though, ended writing 30 pages in less than three days - got an A on that paper too. I'll miss a big team ride this weekend in order to do more studying, but I'll just get up a couple hours earlier and do my own ride then hit the books.

Finals suck, UC Berkeley is damn hard, but I'm lucky enough to be going to school without paying any money out of my own pocket so I try not to ***** and moan too much out loud.

Guys remember, for every whiney little **** there's also a grumpy old *******.
Old 12-13-07, 04:34 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike enthusiast
Oh... So that's what TAs do while we're taking tests........ Jeez I hate you.....
TA's?...that'd be sweet.

Nah, I'm a professor (in my spare time). And yes, this is what I do during the exam.
Old 12-13-07, 04:34 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I think he just misses cycling.
Old 12-13-07, 04:40 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
As someone pointed about a few posts earlier, you will be in for a big reality check when you actually get a full-time career job. You may not realize it, but you probably have more freedom and autonomy now than you will ever again, at least until retirement. And still you complain.
This is pretty big generalization. I've done both work and school, full time, part time, both at the same time, any combination thereof. I'm still young, but I like work better - I'm probably just pretty lucky with my job, it's extremely creative and rewarding, definitely no grindstone involved, not to mention that I got more time to ride than I do while at school.
Old 12-13-07, 04:45 PM
JB82

Bikes: Specialized Allez 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I read this I thought I wrote it. I am in the exact same situation. Sitting in the dorms, writing papers, and not riding. I'll be done in 24 hours, so I am almost there.
Old 12-13-07, 04:56 PM
canthidefromme

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a college student. I try not to whine about finals because in the big picture, 1) grades aren't that important, 2) writing a paper is a lot nicer than doing "real" work, 3) it could be worse.

In October I had my knee sliced open and my patella and tibia cut up; I was stapled back together (45, it looked really cool). I haven't touched a bike in over 2 months. I haven't run in over 14 months. Your lack of riding time is nothing, and I still realize I'm more fortunate than many people. Suck it up.

To the old geezers, not all college students whine and are disconnected from the world.

ps. your grammar sucks. Plus, grammatical standards cannot be high or low. Something is grammatically correct or it isn't.
Old 12-13-07, 05:00 PM
Bike enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcvelo
TA's?...that'd be sweet.

Nah, I'm a professor (in my spare time). And yes, this is what I do during the exam.
Oh.... So you're the one WRITING up the tests...... I think you know how I feel.....
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Silly Southern Californians. Finals are next week, but my riding time is more affected by the 6 inches of snow that has already accumulated outside this evening. Looks like we'll add a few more before the night is over. I love New England, but yow.

Oh well! Time to break out the cross-country skis!
slimvela
Ductus Exemplo

Bikes: 2008 ADK Custom Build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34yr old, U.S. Marine Combat Veteran, Mr. Mom, and Full-Time Student about to begin my final semester (yeah right, rollin right into a Masters program afterwards). Finished all my courses early, happily. No need to get angry about not riding. It's all about proper time management, discipline and proper planning. Without it, there is no way I could take time off from the 'rat-race' to achieve another important goal of mine.

And no, I'm not rich or married to a sugar-mama. Hell, I don't even have relatives nearby to help out when times get tough; nearest ones are 1100mi away.

BTW, when were these papers you are all so busy writing issued? I wrote all 5 of my papers early in the semester, some even required my reading ahead to understand the material as it contributed to the subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.