Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Backpacks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Backpacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 04:15 PM
hillcranker

Bikes: Fuji(Miyata), raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting Backpacks

Does anyone know of a great commuting backpack? I don't like panniers or bar bags and I have to haul my books with it to class. Preferably, I would like one with like a "Bungee System" so that on the outside I could put my Helmet/Shoes on without having to dry and jam it all in and not bust a zipper on the pack.
Appreciate It!
Old 01-24-08, 04:59 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tad gear - they're available in 2 sizes, have a external flap (shovel panel) for big/bulky/shoes, are bombproof, you can have any number of external pockets via the molle system,.....blah, blah, blah......they're awesome...blah...buy, buy, buy

https://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gea...gear_packs.htm

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 01-24-08, 05:11 PM
boog
Just Another Commuter

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markhr
tad gear - they're available in 2 sizes, have a external flap (shovel panel) for big/bulky/shoes, are bombproof, you can have any number of external pockets via the molle system,.....blah, blah, blah......they're awesome...blah...buy, buy, buy

https://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gea...gear_packs.htm

Wow, that looks cool, but $300 cool? How does it do on the back? Is it vented, or at least beathable, or do you get a sweaty back with it?

boog

--Dr. Carl Sagan
Old 01-24-08, 05:57 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boog
Wow, that looks cool, but $300 cool? How does it do on the back? Is it vented, or at least beathable, or do you get a sweaty back with it?

boog
It's padded but you'll still end with more of a sweaty back than something with a proper frame. I like them because they're so versatile, the straps all roll up out of the way and, when it's empty, I can cinch it down until it's almost totally flat. That, and it's the only one with a useasble front panel since lowe alpine stopped making the old style contour mountain.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 01-24-08, 06:11 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack
Old 01-24-08, 07:02 PM
Jinks
Play all day

Bikes: 80's Fuji Fixie Conversion, Voodoo Bizango, 80's Performance mountain bike converted to single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Banjo Brothers commuter backpack too. I like how it sits low on my back and it's big enough to hold what I need. My one major gripe, is that about half a year after owning it, the seam on the small pocket flap came undone and the whole pocket cover came apart. I went on their site, found the customer service email and contacted them twice over a month's time span (very nicely, I might add) with pictures and description and have NEVER heard anything from them. BAD customer service means no repeat sales from me. But my experience is the only bad one that I've heard of, so hopefully it's an anomaly.
Old 01-24-08, 07:31 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your's the only bad one I've heard of as well...
Old 01-24-08, 09:20 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap.. $300 for that backpack? They better have it gold plated on the zippers and better then the Eagle Industries 'Becker Patrol Pack'. Holy damn.

https://www.maxpedition.com/

Maxpedition makes awesome stuff without paying through the nose for mil-spec quality items. I own the Thermite Versipak legdrop bag which is awesome for holding quick items and strapping to the leg or shoulder or hip while riding. The quality is good as well. I've read many reviews and the quality of this company is good. The Merlin backpack is a folding backpack which may come in handy when you're riding on your off days and just put that folded up backpack on your belt while riding then if you see something you like to buy along the way home you can then unfold the bag and store in it. That bag was designed originally for 'escape and evasion' yet works well with cyclists for the small profile and compactness. I've not owned that bag but it's on my 'to aquire' list.

www.deuterusa.com

I own the AC28 and Race Air Exp bags. Both bags are A1 quality and functional. The open back is a 'godsend' in the summer time as your back will be cooled off quickly while riding. In the cooler months or winter time you will loose a little heat off the back due to the open vented back but still it is an awesome bag. I'll have to find my review on the bag again later. Awesome bag and worth the money. If you needed to pick one bag go with the AC28. It is 28L in size. The Race Air Exp bag is 13L + 2L expanding with the easiest helmet mounting net out there. However it is the same price as the AC28 with less space. Both bags have thier advantages but if you want a day to day bag for general purpose the AC28 is a good choice and balance of size, look, space, and function.
Old 01-24-08, 09:29 PM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Deuter
I own the Race Air Exp bag & it's a great commuter pack IF you are not planning to carry a bunch of stuff to your destination, like a change of clothes & shoes, for instance... won't make it.
Old 01-24-08, 10:10 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I found my review here on the AC28 and Race Air Exp.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...ghlight=deuter

They are all-weather bags. I like the stock appearance of the bag and the look on peoples faces when they see all the functions come alive when it's raining or when I unzip compartments to take out the helmet net.
Old 01-26-08, 01:27 PM
Zero_Enigma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and carry a small-mid size nylon duffle bag with you and rack bungee straps should you need more space and it's raining outside. YOu can put the items inside the bag and tie it up and put the opening REAR FACING so while you're riding in the rain the rain adn hopefully run off the back and have as little amount get into the bag.

This is of course in combination with your backpack to hold more gear.
Old 01-26-08, 02:13 PM
Lugan

Bikes: Rattle-can black MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a lot of nice technical gear on the market these days, but hands down the BEST quality you will find is with Arcteryx packs. I've had an "Arro 22" since 1997, and it's qualty still impresses me. It's no frills, but the materials are top notch & waterproof, including rubberized zippers.

I use mine every day, and prior to getting into bicycle commuting, used it everyday in my motorcycle commutes and trips while i lived in British Columbia... ie its seen lots of rain, and some snow.
It's survived 2 motorbike spills, and I'm sure it saved my back from injury - has a nice solid back panel which helps it keep it's shape and support a load.. everything from a laptop and texts, to groceries. the shoulder straps are thicker than most, and have a nice pre-molded shape to distribute load. The thing is damn awesome AND has a no-questions life time warranty.

https://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Arro-22