Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike computers: during or after workout?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 11:20 AM
TruckerMike

Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been running Edge305+HR for over a year now. I look at it during ride to see how far I've travelled or how my HR is doing, or ride time and cadence, but the real utility seems to come after the ride.

Repeating known routes or races, I can see how my Edge's records of the ride show how I'm doing. The tally's of how many hours and how much km's or elevation I'm covering each week is also key feature.

It's gotten to the point where some rides I rarely look at the console because I know it's logged and I can review later.

This brings me to the reason for starting this thread. Do the masses here agree with the above for their own use? Many popular computers don't allow data export, so it makes me think I'm a bit of an odd-ball for thinking this way. I suppose those that don't have data export option will have trouble commenting on where the utility lies (during or after ride), but chime in anyways if you're deliberately staying with a basic computer.
Old 05-08-08, 11:44 AM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are really serious about this stuff, u would fit your bike with them Power Meter, then u know whether yer expensing the right amount of energy for what training and how efficient.

Sum ppl purposely leave their computer out altogether. See "Liberating" thread.
Old 05-08-08, 12:07 PM
cyclingvirtual
Banned

Bikes: Specialized + Pinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with this if you enjoy it etc.

But the hard part is making use of the data to go faster !

When you work that out, let me know