Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

high schooler with restrictive parents

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 02:27 PM
ryancx

Bikes: JAMIS DAKAR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!
Just a little background: I am a high-school freshman. I really have a passion for biking, which started on the mountain when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Anyways, I run distance events in track in the spring and cross country in the fall, but I do not really like either of them.

Recently, a mountain biker friend of mine tried to organize a biking club for the people like me who want to race and really love the sport. He found a teacher who rides and we are trying to pull something together before the end of the school year. The teacher used to be a mountain biker, from what I gather, but races road bikes and does triathelons. He was picturing a road bike team for our school, and that sounds great to me. I really like road biking too, however I have one problem.

My parents are really restrictive. Not that this is a bad thing necessarily; i know that they do what they do for my own good. But more recently,whenever I bring up the possibility of road riding they just shoot me down. I live on a hilly 3 mile long street without much traffic, however at both ends of the street there are more busy and main roads (with huge shoulders). As of yet, they won't even let me leave my short stretch of road I live on, and are horrified of the thought of me venturing to ride 1/4 of a mile down the road to school. Whenever I ask my mom just says, "I knew someone who died on a road bike." Does anyone have any ideas how I can convince them that road biking is not as dangerous and deadly as they think it is? I really would like to join the team and think that it is an amazing oppertunity but i just can't when my parents are keeping me on my short stretch of road.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-08, 02:35 PM
hos13

Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look for a local MUP and have them drive you there.
Old 05-14-08, 02:35 PM
Henke
Ute å cyklar

Bikes: 1968 Monark 318; 1984 Chesini X Uno; 1986 Miyata 912

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Learn the rules of the road as they apply to bicycles, then quiz your parents on the subject.
Old 05-14-08, 02:39 PM
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell her you know more people who rode a bike and didn't die.
Old 05-14-08, 02:42 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do the whole Emo kid routine and blame it on your parents not letting you ride on the road
Old 05-14-08, 02:46 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try to give them as much education about bicycles and safety as you can. Sadly your parents are in the middle of the bellcurve when it comes to current thoughts on bicycling and children(so it wont be easy.)
Old 05-14-08, 02:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ask them to drive behind you with the hazard lights on.
Old 05-14-08, 03:00 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
and I knew someone who died in a car? Yep I know it's very immature response.
Anyway you can bring up statistics, etc, but from what you described I don't think they will listen to reason.

Originally Posted by ryancx
Hey all!
Just a little background: I am a high-school freshman. I really have a passion for biking, which started on the mountain when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Anyways, I run distance events in track in the spring and cross country in the fall, but I do not really like either of them.

Recently, a mountain biker friend of mine tried to organize a biking club for the people like me who want to race and really love the sport. He found a teacher who rides and we are trying to pull something together before the end of the school year. The teacher used to be a mountain biker, from what I gather, but races road bikes and does triathelons. He was picturing a road bike team for our school, and that sounds great to me. I really like road biking too, however I have one problem.

My parents are really restrictive. Not that this is a bad thing necessarily; i know that they do what they do for my own good. But more recently,whenever I bring up the possibility of road riding they just shoot me down. I live on a hilly 3 mile long street without much traffic, however at both ends of the street there are more busy and main roads (with huge shoulders). As of yet, they won't even let me leave my short stretch of road I live on, and are horrified of the thought of me venturing to ride 1/4 of a mile down the road to school. Whenever I ask my mom just says, "I knew someone who died on a road bike." Does anyone have any ideas how I can convince them that road biking is not as dangerous and deadly as they think it is? I really would like to join the team and think that it is an amazing oppertunity but i just can't when my parents are keeping me on my short stretch of road.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-08, 03:03 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride when your parents are not around.
Old 05-14-08, 03:05 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to PM the user that goes by the name of "the Beef" - HS guy up in Seattle or vicinity, I think. Anyway, he could offer some good advice. Heck, he may even show up in this thread (stay tuned)
Old 05-14-08, 03:09 PM
orcanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all!

Thanks!

Just say, "Thanks, Mom. Dad told me I was an accident anyway...sorry to inconvenience you..."

Last edited by orcanova; 05-14-08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 03:10 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
Ride when your parents are not around.
I'm assuming sarcasm, but if not, this is a very bad idea. You will not only not win them over, but lose any possible trust and future chance of them being your allies.

Riding is a dangerous sport. There's no denying that. All we can do is minimize the dangers. Learn how to do that (riding in traffic, packs, etc...).

Find an adult friend who also rides. Have them talk w/mom & dad and watch over you while you're learning. They can try and vouch for your abilities.

The hardest thing I did was let my 12-year old ride alone in traffic. Very scary.
Old 05-14-08, 03:11 PM
artifice
superArti

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shoot kiddo, that stinks. (My parents would have been super excited if I had taken an interest in anything besides being a bookworm at that age).

Yeah, I say just keep getting smarter about the rules of the road & safety.. if nothing else it will pay off in a couple years when you are FREE TO RIDE!! How old is a freshman, 15?
Old 05-14-08, 03:15 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Does anyone have any ideas how I can convince them that road biking is not as dangerous and deadly as they think it is? I really would like to join the team and think that it is an amazing oppertunity but i just can't when my parents are keeping me on my short stretch of road.
There was a study done where they found that people who cycle over 900 miles per year face a significantly lower risk of getting killed per capita (i.e. not per mile) than those who ride less. Maybe someone here can refer you to the study.

My guess is that the reason this is true is that most casual cyclists don't pay attention to what's going on around them. They use poor technique and don't try to be visible. That's why I feel perfectly safe riding highways in the dark during winter storms and why I think a lot of the people tooling around in town only when it's sunny have a death wish.

Or you could do what I did when I was 15. I told my folks I was going camping with a buddy. I did (sort of). We rode our bikes into the next state and spent the night in a farmer's field...
Old 05-14-08, 03:17 PM
RazorWind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe start by doing it in the context of riding with the sponsor guy? Justify it by saying "Look, I'll be riding with an experienced adult"

Edit: What about track racing? I know it's not the same as riding on the road, but I'd imagine it probably is safer, and it should be pretty easy to convince a lay person that it's safer by virtue of there not being any cars present.

Last edited by RazorWind; 05-14-08 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 03:28 PM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Most of the danger of bicycling comes from personal judgment. Are you a smart, careful, responsible person? Do your parents know that?
Old 05-14-08, 03:28 PM
forensicchemist
40 something and counting

Bikes: Colnago,Tsunami, Kestrel, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ask Dad (or Mom too for that matter) to get road bike and ride together? Or suggest a tandem? Its a start....
Old 05-14-08, 03:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12013 Post(s)
Liked 6,768 Times in 3,533 Posts
You're a high school freshman? You write really, really well for a 14 year old. There are people three, four times your age that don't write as well.

Don't listen to the joker telling you to ride when they're not around . . . he sounds like he's only 13 himself.

Unfortunately you have to obey your parents. It's their job to be responsible and raise you to maturity . . . . alive and in one piece is a real important bonus. Your parents know best, it's their job. If they say it's dangerous, it's for a reason. Listen to them and be patient. It'll fall in place one day, I guarantee you. You're only 14, you've got tons of years ahead of you and plenty of time to be patient.

Get involved in other sports. There's more ways to have fun than biking. (A gasp comes up from the BF audience.) Your day will come.
Old 05-14-08, 03:32 PM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See if they'll let you join a local club or team, they should do some rides. And maybe they'll let you if you're in a big enough group.
Old 05-14-08, 03:35 PM
Snow_canuck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by
Darth Vader
The Force is strong with this one.
Old 05-14-08, 03:38 PM
orcanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever run away from home on a bicycle...?
Old 05-14-08, 03:39 PM
Snow_canuck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by orcanova
Did you ever run away from home on a bicycle...?

You won't get far running ON a bicycle.
Old 05-14-08, 03:53 PM
veganboyjosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow_canuck
You won't get far running ON a bicycle.
au contraire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hmVQc91yVE
Old 05-14-08, 04:04 PM
jbmadtown
Undrafted free-agent.

Bikes: 2005 Jamis Satellite w/ 105/Ultegra, Motobecane Fantom Cross Fixed, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm. Whatever the solution, you should work on resolving your parent's fears ASAP. Imagine how bad they'll be when you get your driver's license! Some suggestions:

Do some research and find some safe group rides around your area that you could hook up with. Maybe they would feel better knowing that you're riding with other safe, experienced riders that can show you safe routes. Talk to your local bike shops to try and locate one.

If I had a kid, I would want to make sure they knew the rules of the road before they started riding on it, so maybe pick up one of the driver's manuals at the DMV and study it. That may would help convince your parents that you really have safety in mind. Eventually your parents are going to have to trust you to make good decisions for yourself, this seems like a good venue to show them how reasonable you are. (You are reasonable, right?...)
Old 05-14-08, 04:12 PM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch Breaking Away with your folks. That should do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.