Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Singapore officially allows folding bikes on public transport... finally

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 07:14 PM
mrbrown

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But it will be for a trial period of a few months (the government here loves trials, or evaluation periods). After which the scheme, called "Fold It and Ride It", will be reviewed.

Effectively, they have allowed foldies no larger than 114cm by 64cm by 36cm to be brought onboard the subway during off peak hours (9.30am to 4.30pm, and after 7.30pm) on weekdays, and all day on weekends and public holidays.

The foldies can also be carried onboard buses but no more than two per bus, and only on weekends and public holidays.

That image is the special box they place at all MRT stations (what we call our subway) for you to ensure your bike fits the dimensions allowed. It pretty much fits up to a Strida in length and I think all Dahons.

This is the press release from the Land Transport Authority.

And this is a pdf of the brochure with a list of the do's and don'ts.

I think most foldie commuters here are not too pleased about the hours allowed but it is still a very big step for government acceptance of foldies, and bicycles in general, as a legitimate means of transport in land-scarce car-mad Singapore. If it will make more folk take public transport instead of drive, I reckon the government here is keen.

How does this square with the rules in your city's public transport system?
Old 05-26-08, 07:45 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
What good is it if you can only bring the bike during off peek during the week? That means you will be late for work each day of the week! LOL!

It looks like they will not allow 26' inch wheel Dahon's bikes on board.
Old 05-26-08, 08:48 PM
mrbrown

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. That part is bizarre. It's like we want you to ride your foldie, but we only want you to ride on weekends or if you work odd hours.
Old 05-26-08, 10:02 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrown

Bicycle as carry-on-luggage on Trains

"A bicycle may be transported on Yokohama Municipal Subway, JR, Shinkansen, Tokyo and Keihin Kyuko Lines, providing that the bike has been folded up or wheel(s) taken off and is carried in a bicycle bag. There is no charge."

https://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/naka/...t/bicycle.html
Old 05-27-08, 07:25 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrown
Subway: all bicycles allowed at all times.
Light Rail: all bicycles allowed at all times.
Commuter rail: folding bicycles only (allowed at all times, must be bagged, no size restrictions).
Bus: currently folding bicycles only (allowed at all times, no size restrictions); From 5/2008 through 9/2008 bike racks are being installed on all buses to accommodate two nonfolding bikes per bus...finally!

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
What good is it if you can only bring the bike during off peek during the week? That means you will be late for work each day of the week! LOL!
Seriously, what is it with most municipalities that they expect people to put up with this kind of inconvenience?

My local commuter trains share track with freight trains. Sometimes the freight trains randomly stop in front of passenger stations due to malfunction, blocking passengers from crossing the tracks for boarding. The MTA's answer? Drive to the next station.
Old 05-27-08, 08:57 AM
Fear&Trembling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truly shocking - Singapore relaxing it transport regulations. They'll let you drink water on the MRT next!
Old 05-27-08, 01:46 PM
Amuro Lee

Bikes: A-bike, Strida & ,etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They use Strida for demonstration on local press and the brochures available at MRT stations.
https://stridasingapore.com/forum/index.php?topic=2244.0
Old 05-27-08, 05:54 PM
bangkok
late member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Private sector twist ... bike storage, locker, and shower in CBD areas:

https://www.thebikeboutique.com/bikelodging.php

I haven't visited this place, but like the concept and new thinking.
Old 05-28-08, 05:39 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bangkok
Private sector twist ... bike storage, locker, and shower in CBD areas:

https://www.thebikeboutique.com/bikelodging.php

I haven't visited this place, but like the concept and new thinking.
Also included:
-shampoo, soap, and clean towels.
-lounge with water, sports drinks, and juice.
-monthly bicycle tuneup.
-drycleaning option for clothing.

Very nice! It takes all the hassle out of bike commuting.
Old 05-28-08, 05:51 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
They are trying something along these lines in Brisbane as well... people are balking at the cost.
Old 05-28-08, 08:33 AM
stridaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think everyone need to have a better understanding of the rules published by the Land Transport Authority of Singapore. These rules are meant as a guidelines telling you that during these mentioned peak hours, both trains and buses are very crowded, even if you push in a big baby pram or a big bag, the bus drivers and train station staff will also stop you and explain to you why you cannot go in during these peak hours. So, no one is picking on just folding bikes.

For many others, these rules actually comes as a positive set of guidelines as they now know how to shop for their first folding bike, no more guessing if it can go into the trains or buses. Yeah!

As we all know that our weather here is so...so...so HOT, actually how many of us really commute to work. And for those who had passed their negative comments, are you commuting to work by bike in the first place???? Or you are still on your 4 wheelers.

So many car owners try to beat the ERP charges by driving to work early and others waiting for the peak hours to be over, then to flag a taxi........we all can do it the same for the folding bikes too.

The best way to make thing happen and move on positively, we should all give our feedback to LTA, so that they can understand better.

Is it so serious? Have you really seen many folding bikes takeing trains and buses????

Let's look forward to support the policy......everything will have to start from somewhere, and the Land Transport Authority of Singapore just started it off here.
Old 05-28-08, 10:23 AM
OldiesONfoldies
Small wheels ARE better!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just want to say kudos to Stridaman and his team for the fine advocacy work with the Singaporean transport authorities with regards to allowing foldies on trains. It is indeed a good start but like Mr Brown, I feel it does not adequately address the needs of those who truly commute to work - assuming they work regular hours. It is not an easy solution what with jam packed trains and barely any standing room.

In Australia, foldies are allowed at ALL times provided they are bagged/covered. They decided to bite the bullet even though their trains are just as packed as Singaporean ones. Guess its a question of accomodation and understanding among all train commuters. Also, it is perhaps a guage of how serious the authorities are in viewing the folding bike as a viable green alternative transport solution.

I'm hopeful

Last edited by OldiesONfoldies; 05-28-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 08:05 PM
bangkok
late member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet another impact area is provision of decent/practical bike parking facilities at train stations or other terminal points.

Last time in Tokyo by mistake I wandered into a large basement bike parking operation at a suburban JR station; complete with entrance ramps, double deck racks, barcode scanning, CCTV, and uniformed attendants moving about quickly.

And there is this new hi-tech operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE4fvwTBtno
Old 05-28-08, 08:40 PM
Bridgestoned

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I for one, would not want to ride the buses and trains during peak hours, and that's just me and the clothes I'm wearing! They're jam packed as they are, without shopping bags, strollers and God forbid bicycles, which unfortunately are still at the far bottom of the list of dirty/wet bulky items that must not offend/violate the squeaky clean atmospheres of our trains and buses.

There's the alternative of commuting to work with your foldie, if you like the first and last train idea.

All is not lost though, as I boarded a bus with my bike, weekday, 3 pm and was most welcomed on board by ahem, a foreign driver as the skies opened up. Yeah, guidlines are fine if interpreted with some 'heart'

To act (and not pretend) to be a 1st world nation, you'll need the first or last carriage for bulky items and yes folded AND regular bicycles.
Old 05-29-08, 10:30 AM
stridaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can even bring in 2 Brompton together into the train station
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Diginexx_Brompton_01.jpg (76.7 KB, 15 views)