Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moving to BC, looking to get into backcountry, ultraendurancedistance MTB

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 11:32 PM
robotfury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

As the subject says, I am moving to BC and looking to take advantage of the mountains and wilderness by getting into longer ultradistance/endurance MTB riding: marathons, 24 Hour stuff and, more to the point, adventure mountain biking - by which I mean overnight ultralight packing fun. After reading too much about various long distance endurance events - Great Divide, CT etc and the many marathons and multi-day rides out there, I am dying to get into them. I am moving to Vancouver in August to take up Grad Studies at UBC... and, ahem, partake of the outdoors there as much as possible. Maybe more of the latter. I am looking for any advice (trails, shops, clubs, individuals) and generally getting into and training up for ultradistance/endurance events in and around Vancouver and greater BC.

Initially I would like to do some overnight stuff on weekends with Vancouver as my base. Build to greater distances and eventually enter some of the events BC has to offer.

Any thoughts?

As for Vancouver, any general local info would be nice too, such as shops and places to ride. I am much more into the XC stuff than the freeride, all mountain stuff, so any suggestion as to where I can get my XC on, let me know.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 06-10-08, 05:44 PM
TruckerMike

Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
resources

Some resources for you:

1) Google "self propelled outdoor club". These guys are local and go FAR. You'll learn a lot about routes by joining this club.

2) Buy the TransCanadaTrail book for BC. You can create multi-day epics on this route. Recommend you focus in on "Pale Face Pass" to get your mountains fix.

3) The Southern Chilcotin mountains near Goldbridge have horsetrails that backcountry bikers use. Recommend you try a guided trip. A map of the area is sold at mec.ca

4) Sign up at Bivouc.com. There are some amazing trip reports showing biking like you describe. Notably the Spruce Lake to Bella Coola saga one member reported.

5) Sign up for UBC's varsity outdoors club (VOC) in September during Clubs week. You'll learn a lot about huts, cabins, routes etc. from this crowd.

6) In early July, register for the "BC Bike Race" in 2009. This is a mtb stage race covering a ton of terrain.

7) Join NSRide.com riding club to learn where to ride xc in south coastal BC.

8) Make a point of riding Whistler's "Comfortable Numb" and Flank trails.