Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Am I too big for a DT mini ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 01:30 AM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

before I make the final click, I am 6 foot tall and on a good day (and if I was riding a la Sammyboy, ie nekkid) I am 210lbs.

Will the mini be OK for me, do people think?
Old 07-17-08, 01:32 AM
golden_foldie
actually it's silver

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put a banana seat on it...

Old 07-17-08, 02:09 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Absolutely OK from what I've seen. I'm sure Jur is that tall easily and uses one!
Old 07-17-08, 02:20 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
At 6'3, but with a long body, I come up 1/2" short on the post. I'd guess you'd be fine with it out all the way, but it's hard to be sure!
Old 07-17-08, 03:08 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Sammybiy collecting my Gazelle from Nottingham today Going to throw in a nice trip to Leamington Spa & Warwick on the way back!
Old 07-17-08, 03:27 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sammy, did you get a butt buddy for your mini ? I checked the thread on this and couldn't see clearly - and, sammy or anyone else, any ideas where I might buy one retail. When I googled.... well, you can guess what happened...
Old 07-17-08, 06:53 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 5"10, but even so the original seat post was a good inch too short and then some. I was somewhat uncomfortable with over-extending the seat post, and besides wanted to have a stiffer post, so I made a telescoping one of ample length. I had a lathe for the job, no ready-made bits were to be found.
Old 07-17-08, 06:56 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' tall, with a 34" true inseam. The stock seatpost is about an inch too short for me. I ride with the post past the min point, but my seatpost is reinforced with a 18" length of 1" dowel stuffed inside.
Old 07-17-08, 07:04 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The biggest risk with over-extending the post lies in the frame: The clamp acts like a pivot point, so the bit of post below the clamp levers powerfully against the seat tube. So it might crack the frame near the end of the post, or through reverse lever action (in this case the seatpost end being the pivot point) might tend to break the top portion of the seat tube off. Hence my longer telescoping seatpost - the lever action is drastically reduced.

Good thing about the suspension: Knocks are greatly attenuated.
Old 07-17-08, 09:17 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
This is my main concern with getting a Downtube Mini. I'm 6' tall as well. Is it possible to use the Brompton telescoping seatpost on the Mini? Or is that a proprietary part?

--sam
Old 07-17-08, 09:24 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
The biggest risk with over-extending the post lies in the frame: The clamp acts like a pivot point, so the bit of post below the clamp levers powerfully against the seat tube. So it might crack the frame near the end of the post, or through reverse lever action (in this case the seatpost end being the pivot point) might tend to break the top portion of the seat tube off. Hence my longer telescoping seatpost - the lever action is drastically reduced.
Good point, Jur. To accomodate that in my dowel solution, I leave about 5" of dowel exposed outside of the seatpost, in effect, adding 5" of length inside the seat tube.
Old 07-17-08, 10:33 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The other thing I worry about is whether the bike can handle my 230 lbs (not including gear) on a daily basis. That's really holding me back from getting the bike.

--sam
Old 07-17-08, 02:23 PM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
to measure inside leg: crotch to floor - but with or without shoes ?

Seriously.

(But if in stilletos, do I include the heel?)
Old 07-17-08, 03:20 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
with shoes you will be biking with.
Old 07-17-08, 03:22 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I'd say both lalata and gringo should buy 2009 since it has stronger post and stem for heavier weights.
Old 07-17-08, 03:40 PM
bookishboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say to steer clear of it, unless you're willing to upgrade the suspension. Someone in here (Jur, was this you?) put a rubber door-stop in the place of the existing suspension block.

My measurements are similar to yours and I found the bike uncomfortable for even a 2-mile ride to work in good weather. If you want smaller wheels, a Brompton or Strida may be better suited to you.

It can work for taller folks, but if you're both (a)tall and (b)over 200lbs, I wouldn't recommend the DT mini.

If you're still determined to get one, I have one in barely-ridden shape that I'm going to put on CL in the next couple of weeks. PM me if you like. Or if you're near NJ and just want to test-ride one before mine gets sold, you're welcome to.
Old 07-17-08, 04:27 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bookishboy
My measurements are similar to yours and I found the bike uncomfortable for even a 2-mile ride to work in good weather. If you want smaller wheels, a Brompton or Strida may be better suited to you.
Errr...If you find the Mini uncomfortable for a 2 mile ride, the Strida sure has heck ain't gonna work for ya.
Old 07-17-08, 05:31 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would point out at this stage that like any other bike, folders must be made to fit the rider. I fitted a longer stem to mine. It is not really fair to expect a bike to be right for you out of the box. Bikes aren't like shoes where you have to buy the right size.

I think if I were 2" taller (ie 6'), my Mini would still be fine - it would be slightly less optimal but not catastrophically so. There are plenty users who are taller and chunkier than I and find them OK.
Old 07-17-08, 05:37 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I think if I were 2" taller (ie 6'), my Mini would still be fine - it would be slightly less optimal but not catastrophically so. There are plenty users who are taller and chunkier than I and find them OK.
Like me. I did 40 miles on the Mini a while back and it was just fine .
Old 07-17-08, 06:11 PM
bookishboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Errr...If you find the Mini uncomfortable for a 2 mile ride, the Strida sure has heck ain't gonna work for ya.
For me, no. But for the OP, who knows? If I were to get a folder with wheels smaller than 20", I'd tend towards a Brompton, but lots of folks do like the Strida. I was putting out suggestions for other bikes that he may want to test-ride, if he's able to find any available for test rides.

The OT was soliciting opinions, this was mine. I don't think it's a bad bike at all, just not a good bike "for me". Since I'm 6'0" and only about 15lbs heavier than the OP, my experience may have some bearing. As with everything in life, YMMV.
Old 07-18-08, 01:07 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you don't fit a Mini due to height and weight, Brompton is likely to be the same, and Strida worse.
Old 07-18-08, 03:06 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
on Sammy's last point it was my experiences with my merc (for which read brompton) that caused me to ask the question in the first place. When I got it, I think some of the problems were due to me being, shall we say, at the boundary of the size parameter. I think, fingers crossed it is going to be OK - I am getting a telescopic seat post, just to give that extra inch or so - I could have made do with the slightly longer, non-telescopic post, but as I got the merc for the fold anyway I thought it worth shelling out. When I have finished with the minor mods I am making to the merc, soon, I am going to post on this. I think it will be a good bike in the end, and much better deal than a newbrompton of more or less equivalent standing. Better than a secondhand brommie on ebay, I don't know - I will do the math and post anon.

But it seems to me getting the 2009 mini, and the ability to adjust/modify the mini handlebar reach more easily might work. As, also, might changing the pedals to ride with cleated shoes, I wonder.

But finding that extra inch or two on the mini seatpost end while not overextending would be helpful, hence the buttbuddy, or alternative, question....