Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First post, looking for advice.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 07:21 PM
gafirefighter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post here on a new site. I have been lurking in the shadows for a while and finally decided to join. Let me start with a little background info on myself. A few years back I was really involved in cycling. I purchased a CR1 Team that I used for quite a few centuries and many other races/rides. After riding it for about a year some things came up and I had to let it go. Since then I have spent very little time in the saddle.

Now, it is time to get back. My wife also is quite interested in ridding. A buddy of mine is a certified smith currently working at REI. We have her set up with a Novara road bike that she is quite comfortable on. Now I just have to buy it. The only thing I need to figure out is what I would like to get for myself.

I have considered many options. In a couple years I have a plan in place to get the Moots frame that I have always wanted. The plan with the Moots is to built a bike that fits my taste completely. For now though I am not planning to spend that much. I have looked around and if I could find a good price on a 57cm Litespeed Classic I would pick it up in a minute. So far, I have not. That is one options but more than likely will not be the way I go. I have been the carbon route. I really loved it, but it too is a little more than I want to drop right now. So that leaves me with steel or aluminum.

I could start with a complete bike, but I am never impressed with what the lower end has installed. I really would just like to start with the frame and go from there. This bike is just going to wear a 105 kit, and some other decent components. More or less I would like to keep it middle of the road. So what frames are out there that I should look at. It does not have to be new, just in good shape. I would like to keep the frame cost under $600 if possible.

Any ideas and help would be most appreciated. This will not be an all out race bike, but more of a trainer and a bike that is fun to ride.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 09-13-08, 09:51 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Bikes: '01 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '08 Giant TCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to a couple bike shops and just test ride a bunch of frames. See what you like/don't like and go from there.

Good luck
Old 09-13-08, 10:54 PM
TeddyKGB
STICK IT IN YOU

Bikes: Giant XTC 2, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend the Cannondale CAAD 9 for the frame. Definitely can't go wrong w/ that.
Old 09-14-08, 08:45 AM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaRow
Go to a couple bike shops and just test ride a bunch of frames. See what you like/don't like and go from there.

Good luck
i hate to admit it, but the Gator is right. Don't be in a hurry and find something that fits you and that you like.

Good Luck!

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 09-14-08, 10:28 AM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uga8589
i hate to admit it, but the Gator is right. Don't be in a hurry and find something that fits you and that you like.

Good Luck!
Haha. Why can't we be friends?
Old 09-14-08, 10:30 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BikeForums!

You should try the Cannondale CAAD 9; very solid frame. Either that, or you can find an old Trek 2100 or 2200, which is also pretty good.

Good luck!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 09-14-08, 02:56 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaRow
Haha. Why can't we be friends?
We can . . . Until that first week in November!

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 09-14-08, 05:31 PM
JaRow
trois, mon frère

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uga8589
We can . . . Until that first week in November!
That will be a fun game. I'm looking forward to it. You guys are looking strong.