Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

how important are shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 11:59 PM
fungirl

Bikes: Norco Charger, Giant Avail 2 (2010) and Cannondale CAAD9 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how important are shoes?

Maybe a stupid question, but it is a first time and of course we all talk about which bike to get, and so. But how important are the shoes? I don't have special cycling shoes but always wear my runners. Yep, just a beginner. For a cyclocross race, investing in a good pair of shoes is important?
Old 09-26-08, 12:13 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to guess that you're probably fine with running shoes for your first race or 3 (or 5 even). Unless you're using toecages and straps, you won't have to worry about making sure your shoes are clipped in or not. Heck, you'll probably have an advantage over the rest of the new people since you'll actually be able to run easier too.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 09-26-08, 05:11 AM
arctic hawk

Bikes: 2001 Trek XO1, 2009 Ridley Crossbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending upon where you are located, I find that my hiking shoes offers better grip when the run-ups are muddy, rocky, & wet
Old 09-26-08, 11:38 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
The shoe question is really part of the pedal question. When you're ready to take the next step up and go with a clipless pedal you'll need real bike shoes, until then run what you like.
Old 09-27-08, 07:41 AM
GearsForFears
1. get on 2. pedal

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So then...it's okay to start out with plain old platform pedals. Good to know. I'm getting up the nerve to try this and I have a Cross-Check as my main bike. But it's set up as a commuter and I don't want to spend a lot of effort and $$ converting it over until I know whether I will like/survive the racing. Guess all I'll need is to replace the North Road bars with drops and take off the fenders and bottle cages.
Old 09-28-08, 01:01 AM
fungirl

Bikes: Norco Charger, Giant Avail 2 (2010) and Cannondale CAAD9 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GearsForFears
So then...it's okay to start out with plain old platform pedals. Good to know. I'm getting up the nerve to try this and I have a Cross-Check as my main bike. But it's set up as a commuter and I don't want to spend a lot of effort and $$ converting it over until I know whether I will like/survive the racing. Guess all I'll need is to replace the North Road bars with drops and take off the fenders and bottle cages.
From shoes to the bar....yeah thats right. I have a mountain bike, do i need to change to drop bars? Is that possible, to recommend??
Old 09-28-08, 06:54 AM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No reason to replace handlebars for a local series. For mountain bikes, if you have bar-end extensions you'll have to remove them, for safety reasons.

UCI-sanctioned races require drop bars, this applies only to international elite races. Even in events with UCI-sanctioned races (like Madcross over the weekend), the rule doesn't apply to the non-elite races.
Old 09-28-08, 03:01 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran platform pedals all last year. I figured it made dismounts much easier. I am considering doing the same this year. I have Time Atac pedals on my roadie and shoes that I could use, but I've not put enough time into dismounts yet.