Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Polar wheel magnets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Polar wheel magnets

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 02:12 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Polar wheel magnets

I can't seem to find these sold by themselves in the U.S. Does anyone know if other magnets will work with the Polar CS-series computers?
Old 11-02-08, 02:21 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In theory -it is only a magnet so any other magnet should work.

But I changed wheels on my bike the other day and the computer did not work till I changed to the polar magnet. No idea why- perhaps a line up problem but in theory- it is only a magnet.

So try a different magnet- Or find the polar one you have lost.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-02-08, 02:37 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't lose it. I want another for a 2nd wheel.
Old 11-02-08, 02:52 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's not really a magnet, but an R.F. transmitter with specific frequencies that it broadcasts on. That's why the Polar will only work with the correct CS wheel "magnet". Try holding it up to some steel pieces, it won't stick. When the battery runs out, you have to send it back to Polar for replacement.
Old 11-02-08, 04:44 PM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
It's not really a magnet, but an R.F. transmitter with specific frequencies that it broadcasts on. That's why the Polar will only work with the correct CS wheel "magnet". Try holding it up to some steel pieces, it won't stick. When the battery runs out, you have to send it back to Polar for replacement.
Incorrect. Sorry couldn't help myself.
My polar magnet is a magnet and will stick to other metal objects. CS200CAD. I haven't used my CS400 magnet yet as the 200 magnet works with it, so I can't say if the CS400 is magnetic or not.
Old 11-02-08, 04:50 PM
gabdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I can't seem to find these sold by themselves in the U.S. Does anyone know if other magnets will work with the Polar CS-series computers?

Try this
Magnet Set Speed Sensor CS - $9.39
https://www.shoppolar.com/_polarususd...RMEJ2QQMUBT64G

Last edited by gabdy; 11-02-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-02-08, 04:56 PM
Trogon

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a half dozen Polar sensors on various bikes and pretty much any old magnet works with them. In fact, about half-way through my love affair with Polar, they changed the style on their very own.

It's all in the positioning - I find the Polar sensor a bit more sensitive to magnet placement than other computer pick-ups.
Old 11-02-08, 06:25 PM
MadCowMoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Polar CS200CAD on two bikes and the sensor really likes a strong magnetic pulse.
By taking a 1/8 inch rareearth magnet and gluing it to a regular sensor magnet with a thin coat of epoxy i don`t have to get the sensor so darn close to the magnet. They don`t miss a beat now.

Old 11-03-08, 02:27 PM
Cjzoller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PM me and I'll send ya some!
Old 11-03-08, 04:08 PM
Bacana
Don we now our

Bikes: Felt F1X & Giant TCR Composite 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having a devil of a time getting my cs200cad to work. I've tried six different spots on the forks, but it always stops picking up the signal at some point. I've run out of cable ties (zip ties), and ordered a bunch of different sizes from Amazon, none of which work as well as the original Polar ties; they are different widths and lengths, so they don't fit as well.

My LBS has made a few suggestions, but I continue to have the same problem. I emailed Polar tech support more than two weeks ago and have yet to get a response. I posted in the new-ish Polar forums, too, but haven't gotten a response there, either.

It's only a few months old. I really like it when it's working, but it's just not reliable.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack...
Old 11-03-08, 04:48 PM
gabdy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacana
I'm having a devil of a time getting my cs200cad to work. I've tried six different spots on the forks, but it always stops picking up the signal at some point. I've run out of cable ties (zip ties), and ordered a bunch of different sizes from Amazon, none of which work as well as the original Polar ties; they are different widths and lengths, so they don't fit as well.

My LBS has made a few suggestions, but I continue to have the same problem. I emailed Polar tech support more than two weeks ago and have yet to get a response. I posted in the new-ish Polar forums, too, but haven't gotten a response there, either.

It's only a few months old. I really like it when it's working, but it's just not reliable.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack...
You probably already know this from the Polar site, but, make sure the magnet is 30 - 40 cm from the computer. I've found turning my magnet around so that the exposed metal is facing the speed sensor and not the plastic side with the little hole works better.

How old is it? Batteries might be running dead. I have my speed sensor as far up the fork as I can go, about 1cm from the brakes. I also make sure the magnet is only 2 - 3mm from the sensor, basically as close as I can go without it touching.

I also had the pause\auto start problem were the computer would stop working and not restart etc, I rang my local Polar Distributor and had them replace the unit. It has been fine since.

Last edited by gabdy; 11-03-08 at 04:54 PM.