Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hammering my rim back in place?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 08:12 PM
mrbubbles
?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently crashed, and my front rim has spot that is compressed inward by 2-3mm, no amount of spoke tightening can get this inward "bump" right, can I hammer it using a mallet back in place? The rim in question is Alex DM18.
Old 11-08-08, 08:41 PM
ogbigbird

Bikes: like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id love to see exactly what it looks like, but i have "fixed" rims in this manner before, usually cheaper ones. if the bump is inward, wouldn't you rather use a pair of channel locks or something like with a rag between the device and the rim to bend it back out. and how long is the spot vs just how deep it is? if you try to fix it, just do little at a time and get it as close as possible without doing harm to the braking surface if so equipt.
Old 11-08-08, 08:45 PM
Bikehead
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used a adj. wrench, and very very carefuly, bend the rim
back.Try going a little bit at a time, and again go slow.
Old 11-08-08, 08:56 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Always consider rim "manipulation" as a last resort. If equal spoke tension does give you a straight rim, be prepared to replace that rim sometime. Any rim that is not held true by even spoke tension is a rim that is going to give you trouble.

The perfect solution is to pull the rim off there and see what you have to work with. And that will probably mean replacing it.

But, if money or time are precious, then go ahead and try to move it back in place and see if you can steal more mileage out of it. I have done it. Many of us have. Sometimes it starts to go wonky again on the first ride. Sometime, mysteriously, it lasts forever.

jim
Old 11-08-08, 09:41 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The centre of the red highlight is compressed inward by about 2 to 3 mm. This rim is available cheap ($20 at LBS), but I like to savage it if I can, I have to relace it anyway should I need to buy a new one.
Old 11-09-08, 12:02 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Let's say the dent is at spokes #9 & #10. You can loosen 8, 9, 10 and 11. Then tighten 6,7,12,13. This will help force the dent back out. This works for minor dents.

You can also use a rim puller, but they cost more than your rim unless you can borrow one. If you can, you loosen 6-13, pull the dent, then re-tighten.

If you decide to replace the rim and can get one almost the same so you can reuse the spokes, then tape the new rim next to the old rim, lining up the holes. Unscrew each spoke and put it into the new rim, true it up, and off you go.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-09-08, 12:08 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Loosen the spokes in the dented-in area fully. Lay a 2-ft long 2x4 through the spokes. Hammer the 2x4 using the spokes to guide it. Shouldn't need more than 1-2 hits on an alloy rim. I've had to pound chrome-plated steel rims quite hard many times to get them to conform. But it eventually worked.
Old 11-09-08, 08:18 AM
daveornee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plastic deformation in the aluminum rim makes that area weaker.
I would invest my resources in a new rim (DM18) and replace it, making sure you get the tension correct.
Old 11-09-08, 08:59 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbubbles
I recently crashed, and my front rim has spot that is compressed inward by 2-3mm, no amount of spoke tightening can get this inward "bump" right, can I hammer it using a mallet back in place? The rim in question is Alex DM18.
If you can't make that area acceptable without screwing up the spoke tension significantly then you need a new rim.

Forget trying to "bend" it back. Waste of time, effort and will not work properly. You have an unexpensive rim that is cheap and easy to replace.